“Authentic sushi”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“Authentic sushi”
Reviewed August 2, 2013

I was recommended to try Asakusa by Japanese friends of mine as I really wanted to try great authentic Japanese sushi, They also suggested that I book as this place gets fully booked & you won't get a table when you walk in. They was so right, I booked & so glad I did, it was very busy, the food didn't disappoint at all. I felt I was in local Japan & loved it! It is a simple quaint restaurant, nothing fancy just great food & simple servic!

• Visited March 2013

“Spicy Prawn Maki and Sparkling Sake a Must Try”
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Visited this restaurant on advice from friends and it didn't disappoint. Reservations recommended and if you want sushi, order immediately after you arrive. The wait can be up to an hour, but it's worth it.
Loved the truly spicy prawn maki. Finish your meal with a sake flight with sparkling sake!
If you enjoy bubbles, it may become a tradition.

• Visited July 2013
London
“Cheap, delicious Japanese, but long waits and slow service”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

The food is absolutely delicious, with loads of amazing dishes to try (many are small and are a Japanese equivalent to tapas). With some wine/Saki it's usually about £20 per head (cheap!). It is extremely popular, so getting tables without a booking can be a challenge, even on a Monday night. Service can be pretty slow unfortunately, and the wait for sashimi when it's busy can be extremely long- sometimes up to an hour and a half. If everyone in your table orders from different sections of the menu, expect to get your food at different times. With such amazing and cheap food, putting up with a bit of a wait and sluggish service isn't a problem for me.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank L_Smash
London
“Not bad. At most rather average. Nothing special at all.”
Reviewed July 13, 2013

We (German & Catalan/Spanish couple) went with friends (English & Spanish couple) because "Asakusa" was recommend to us by other friends whose food judgement we can trust. Those friends, however, went with a half-Japanese friend, while we went without her.

The restaurant is rather small and crammed - and I found it really hot in there. It was not possible to reserve for more than 4 people on a Friday night (we could have been eight) and I wouldn't call the atmosphere anything special. I am surprised to read about a "special" or "original" atmosphere in other reviews. It could be any restaurant, in my view - not particularly Japanese.

We ordered about ten dishes, and edamame beans as a snack to start with. The latter were rather cold, I myself prefer them warm.

The main courses were at best average - not to say rather uninsipred. To be honest, I think the sushi and sashimi we had can be better in chains such as "Itsu" or "Yo! Sushi". The only thing I really liked was the black cod (a vulnerable species, as I found out only today) which I thought was halibut: very similar consistency and meat structure, same fatness. But really yummy.

Service was as one can expect. The bill was completely wrong: For 5 beers and an oranmge juice, we were charged 70 Pounds. We returned the bill and it came back with the £70 crosses out and replaced by £15, now rather cheap. The mains were supposedly £50. I prefer to see individual items on my bill rather than two (suspiciously even) numbers like 50 and 70. Anyway, the overall price seemed to be ok.

In a nutshell: The "Asakusa" is nothing special at all - and in fact rather average in all aspects.

I might consider to try it again when that half-Japanese friend of our friends is there. Otherwise I won't go again.

• Visited July 2013
Gibraltar
“Great food, unpretentious atmosphere”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I loved this place. The staff were friendly, the menu had lots of variety and the food was really nice. It was really busy so might be worth booking a table but it had a great, relaxed atmosphere and other Japanese people eating there which has to be a good sign :) Service wasn't amazing, you did need to grab their attention quite often and as they were busy there was a bit of a wait (although good to see it's prepared fresh). Prices were pretty reasonable too, not poncy pricing like in some places. I'll definitely be going again.

• Visited November 2012