“Can't go wrong at Cafe des Amis”
Review of Cafe des Amis - CLOSED

Cafe des Amis
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Cross street: Long Acre
Transit: Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Holborn
Description: Established for 30 years, Café des Amis is a Covent Garden icon for food excellence. Following the seasons with harmony, Café des Amis serves modern European cuisine with a twist of French; emphasising quality and simplicity. Gourmands and gourmets will enjoy this mixture of flavours to create modern European cuisine. The Wine and Champagne Bar offers a delicious cheese platter to complement your drinks. A warm atmosphere with crystal drop lighting and dark velvet seating allows you to indulge yourself in your visit. Café des Amis also has a traditional brasserie terrace to enjoy the spring and summer times.
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Went along with a voucher deal and it seemed pretty much everyone in there was on some deal or another. But what a great business model? Place was buzzing with couples, big groups and smaller groups all taking advantage of a really varied menu with some great food and wine choices. I started with scallops on a bed of risotto followed by venison medallions, my mate also opted for the scrumptious scallops and enjoyed a delicious sea bass and gnocchi main. We tried some side dishes and opened with olives and almonds. Very drinkable merlot to accompany. Very enjoyable eve. Friendly waiting staff happy to fill up your water glass at every opportunity and never felt pushed to settle up and move on. Will def look out for another deal and will be back for another eve at this great little place.

1  Thank Minty2011

Reviewed July 18, 2013

took advantage of an Amazon local deal for 2, starter, main and bottle of wine to share.
A busy place but we felt added to the ambience and we were shown to a quieter part of the restaurant. You can eat outside in the alleyway which is opposite the Royal Ballet School and side alley to the side of Royal Opera House. We opted not to eat outside as the footfall is reasonably high and it was a bit dark there.

Waitress and service very good, couldn't fault it or her. Bread offered - but not inc in deal and would be charged extra. Ok, that's fine, we thought. Ordered meals and sides encouraged, as inclusive of deal - however, these were charged for in our bill, bread - however not.
We didn't quibble it as the deal, in our opinion, was good value even with the sides and service charge added.

My friend had the the risotto and scallops followed by Calves liver and potatoes with Chorizo as the extra side. I had the chicken breast in cream sauce with leeks and pomme puree (fancy mash potato) with spinach as the extra side. Wine was white (we had the choice of house red or white) and it was enjoyable.

Cafe des Amis is well presented, with good service and the food, we experienced, was good.
The voucher deal details could be little clearer with regards to the sides and the charge but wasn't really an issue as such... but just for others to be aware, the deal does not inc the sides (even when advised they are) which are necessary for some meals.

We left full, satisfied and happy with our experience. Would recommend the voucher deals when they come up otherwise it will be quite an expensive meal out.

1  Thank michie40
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We are a couple from Australia on holidays, and booked the restaurant through London Dining Guide for an early evening meal prior to going to a show. No problems with the booking or attitude at all. Very good food with very attentive and efficient service. Lacked a little in the wine list, and the dining room was what could only be described as "functional", but we weren't there for a fine dining experience anyway, and the food and available wine matched pretty well. We enjoy the French bistro and brasserie style of restaurant, and this place certainly didn't let us down. I have no doubt that we would enjoy it if we made a night of it with a couple of friends. Recommended!

Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have to say, despite all the negative feedback, my friend and I who work at the Royal Opera House just next to this restaurant, thought we'd give it a try - we have a timeout offer and in all honestly, we probably wouldn't have paid the prices if we hadn't, but the food was delicious - GREAT variety. I almost couldn't choose what to have, so many options. I plumped for the crab risotto and scallops, then the venison - cooked rare and oh so beautiful.

A few downers - general decor, a little dated, but very much is around London. Customer service was a little abrupt but pleasant enough. The food out weighed the experience. And it was packed, so I can forgive minor faults!

I say, go there, try it for yourself!
p.s. I was tempted with black pepper ice-cream, but my tummy was full - so those who say the portions were tiny - don't listen.

(Please note, I based the ratings on having a voucher, it was £15 for two courses and a bottle of wine!!)

Reviewed July 16, 2013

It seems our experiences mirrored many of the others below.
The good points:very prompt service, we were offered a jug of tap water, a pleasant atmosphere, superbly cooked but small portion of scallops for starter.
The less good: very small portion of venison medallions which were surprisingly tough and over-cooked,definitely not the medium-rare requested and no way worth the menu price. The chocolate fondant for dessert was microwaved - which astounded me as I was expecting a beautiful freshly baked version of my favourite dessert. How do I know - the speed with which it arrived and the soft soggy texture of the sponge!

No-one asked us about our experience during the meal and when I mentioned that the venison was overcooked this was ignored.

Yes, we did go there because we had a voucher but surely the point of the voucher is that customers will return again and/ or write glowing reviews of their experience. Neither of which will happen in our case.