“Excellent if stylised”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Trafalgar Square / Embankment
Transit: By Tube: Bakerloo or Northern Line to Charing Cross Station By National Rail: Charing Cross Station By Bus: Routes 3, 6, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15, 23, 24, 53, 77A, 88, 91, 139, 159, 176, 453
Description: One of the most exciting new pubs in central London, The Admiralty is a voyage of discovery that takes its theme from the decks of HMS Victory. Fittingly located near Nelson's Column, it's officially London's most central pub - where the best of British pub food awaits...
Reviewed February 17, 2014 via mobile

Went for dinner whilst visiting my girlfriend in London, we felt the food and drink were excellent. And it has a fantastic location. However we felt it was very stylised Scottish, coming down from Glasgow I felt it was aimed more at an American view of a Scottish theme. Slightly reflected in the whiskey selection; Johnny Walker blends etc are arguably more popular outside of Scotland. But I'm really splitting hairs there! Would definitely recommend it.

There are newer reviews for Albannach

Reviewed February 14, 2014

3 of us booked tables for Tuesday 18th Feb a good month in advance. We each received a call today, Friday 14th Feb, to be told that our tables were being cancelled due to a larger party being booked in. I now understand the reasons for this place going into administration!

5  Thank James H
Albannach L, Manager at Albannach, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2014

I am so sorry for the mix up with your reservation. We had attempted to block our system to online bookings as the party had been booked for some time. I believe this was moe human rather than IT error though. I a very sorry for the inconvenience.

We do hope that you will try us again in the near future and, if and when you do, that you will have an enjoyable meal.

Kind regards

Guy

Reviewed February 13, 2014

I just came back from my lunch at The ALbanch in Trafalgar Sq. and it will probably be the last. They used to have a great lunch set menu of steak+chips+wine for a tenner, but not any more, which means you have to pay at least an extra £5 pounds if you want a drink.

The steak was good, but didn't come with the pepper sauce that mentioned on the menu. Instead we got a mayonnaise Bernaisse sauce that was just ok. I asked for it (twice), which wasn't very well received by the members of staff. When I got it, I was disspaointed that the quality had affected the sauce too :( It used to be so much better.

These changes have claerly had an impact on this place because I had never seen it as empty as today.

Me and my collegaues used to go quite freuqently for the st menu, but I don't think we will be going again. There are better value for money places in the area.

We still had a nice time, my colleeagues are awesome :)

4  Thank Pilar B
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I had booked this as present for my boyfriend, we arrived at around 5.15 on a Friday evening and it was very busy, we were asked to wait and ordered a drink at the bar, two cocktails costing £24 which is a lot even for London. We then gathered at the end of the bar for the cocktail making class to begin, I wasn't aware it isn't just you and the bar man but other groups too, it started with a Bellini which was invented in Harry's bar in Venice I have visited Harry's bar and would have liked a bit more information about the history of it. We then a cosmopolitan which all the bar man could tell us was made famous by sex and the city, some canapés arrived shortly after which were nearly all fish and I don't eat fish so was a bit stuck. We decided to leave at this point as wasn't having the best time.
I thought I would have learnt a lot more about the cocktails and i have learnt a lot more by visiting my local cocktail bar and the staff are a lot friendlier and more knowledgable. It was ok but I just feel you are paying quite a lot for a quite a poor experience.

4  Thank pippa b
Reviewed January 28, 2014

Booked a table here for lunch Saturday 25th January, 6 of us to celebrate my Dad's birthday and then off to the theatre . Confirmed by email twice via Top Table, received another confirmation on Friday 24th.. Turned up on Saturday to find the restaurant has been closed down (I wont say why but do check by phoning the restaurant before you go to make sure they have re-opened). I received another email on Monday 27th January cancelling my booking for 25th January. Gee, thanks - that was really useful. Wont be using TopTable for reservations EVER again and given I know the reason Albannach was closed .... same applies. Big let down all round and a lesson learned - pick up the phone!!

5  Thank SusieBee44