“The worst restaurant I've ever been to!”
Review of Kowloon

Kowloon
Ranked #17,191 of 23,214 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: Soho
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is actually the worst restaurant I've ever been to.

Although the Kowloon was half empty, we were put on a table literally touching elbows with our neighbours. We had thought that £12 including a drink would be a reasonable price but as it turned out we were ripped off! - we had a beer each which was a mini can of Tiger. As soon as the beer was opened the rude waiter demanded his £24 cash upfront - "cash only" which meant I had to go and track down a cash machine. We would have walked at this point had the beers not been opened!

Then came the food - I'm used to the plates being small in buffet style restaurants but these were literally side plates. All the starters were overcooked - especially the prawn toast which was like a tough and greasy old boot. There was no rice available for our entire meal and the food variety was very limited.

You are only allowed one change of plate for your entire meal and the are notes on the tables saying any food left over will be charged for - ie more money on top of the £12 !!!

The worst thing of all was the attitude of the staff - it stank! The were grumpy, ignorant, rude, abrasive and gave the impression that we were causing them sort sort of inconvenience by wanting to eat in their restaurant!

I'm pretty sure that the only reason this place is still in business is because they have a steady stream of unsuspecting tourists to rip off.

My advice would be to avoid this place at all costs!!!

1  Thank stodges
There are newer reviews for Kowloon

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Would not give this place even one star. Went in here as we were looking specifically for a buffet wished we had not bothered. We were told £12 and pay straight away cash only which i thought was odd, not surprised. Was directed to a table and had to wait ages before someone brought a plate for food, didn't take them long to take the money though, was just about to go and get my own when a rude woman told me to sit down it would come. You have to keep the same plate throughout there is no soup and there are no desserts! how ridiculous. The food that they do offer is cold and of very poor quality hardly any choice at all the prawn toast was rock hard nearly broke my teeth. Could not wait to get out of here but then just to top it all went around the corner to see a buffet offering twice as much choice for half the price. DO NOT GO HERE WHATSOEVER have never experienced such a bad meal in all my life. Will stick with Manchester where the food is fab, there is at least three times as much choice and for half the price.

1  Thank nicky_1122
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I love Chinese food and I was very pleased with this restaurant, plenty of choices at an excellent price. The restaurant itself it is not very fancy but it is always crowded and that says it all.

Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We walked around china town looking for a buffet and found this. For 12 pound you get the buffet and a drink from a limited list. Having chosen somewhere a little more than others we thought we would get a decent lunch - how wrong were we. The food is tasteless and the staff have no personalities and were clearly bored. Selection was rubbish too.

1  Thank Pam&Trev
Reviewed May 3, 2013

A coin-operated protein theme park based on the buffet scene from Vegas Vacation. Everyone is hit with 'cash only, pay up front' as you pull out your chair to sit down and the uninitiated visitors recoil in horror... Just sit back and watch the sparks. What really makes the atmosphere for me is the little note on the tables informing you that if you leave food on your plate they will charge you for it. Your visits to the trough are monitored and your intake is heavily scrutinised. Some really fabulous food and some truly appalling mush as well. Cheaper than a cinema ticket and more entertaining than a street robbery. Just wonderful.

1  Thank Susan L