“Substandard Cantonese Restaurant”

Neighborhood: Soho
San Francisco
“Substandard Cantonese Restaurant”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Roast duck was over done and very dry and chewy. Soup noodle came with dark salty broth 榨菜肉丝面 when should be near clear. Did not taste any zha cai 榨菜. Best dish was white steam rice. Sad! Used to be much better, especially roast meat dishes. The price was moderate but the food was not worth the money

Visited July 2013

• Polish first
Andernos-les-Bains, France
“Great food & fair price.”
Reviewed February 11, 2013 via mobile

It was difficult to find a nice Chinese restaurant not full of tourists. Canton is a discret place where you will find tasty food. I definitely recommand it!

Herts.
“Don't order takeaway from Canton”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I went in there yesterday (8/2/2013) to make a takeaway and they served about 5 Chinese people who came in after me - in front of me. And no, they weren't collecting a pre-order - I know enough Cantonese to know what's going on. They simply stopped chopping my order, served these people and then only completed my order when the restaurant was quieter.

Yes - the food is good the behaviour is unacceptable.

Visited February 2013
“Food is great, service a bit less, but for me the first is what matters!”
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

I have been dining regularly at Canton for the last 10 years. Canton offers some true Cantonese delicacies and very reasonable prices, especially when you compare it with most other restaurants in Chinatown. Service is - as some other reviews would suggest - not the best, but I have to be honest and say that in the last 6 months it has become a lot better.

Some of their "customer service" traits are probably deep routed, and are just as bad as anywhere else in Chinatown (e.g. You're given the bill very quickly and without having asked for it, some time just as some of your companies are still finishing the food..., but that is not always the case).

However, if you take into consideration that the following menu:
- half crispy duck
- 2 portions of beef ho fun (dry)
- mapo tofu
- stir fried aubergine with garlic
- 2 green tea and 1 bottle of sparkling water

Would probably cost about 12-15 pounds per person (3 people sharing, and inclusive of service charge), then I am sure you can put up with the service and enjoy probably the best ration quality/value for money in Chinatown......

Guangzhou, China
“Very authentic Cantonese food”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Have eaten here many times over the last 20 years or so.

For me It is the best place to eat in China town and is more of a typical Chinese Cafe than a restaurant.

Very busy with Cantonese customers which is a very good sign.

Vast array of typical Cantonese food.

I have been learning Mandarin and on my last visit I tried my hand at ordering my food using the limited mandarin that I have learnt.

I placed my order and the waiter queried it and I did not understand what he was saying. Shortly my dish of prawns and fried liver and boiled rice was delivered to my table. This was not what I meant to order.

Obviously the main issue here is that they speak Cantonese and that is quite different from Mandarin.

I kept face and ate everything. Not my favourite meal. Lol.....

• Visited January 2013