“Delicious down-to-earth Chinese food in Soho!”
Review of Jade Garden - CLOSED

Jade Garden
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Reviewed November 20, 2013

We'd decided in advance that we'd have Chinese food in Soho, so after the obligatory afternoon siesta at our hotel we headed for Chinatown. We'd been thinking of going to Bar Shu but that turned out to be further down in Covent Garden, so instead we fairly quickly spotted Jade Garden. What drew our/ my partner's attention was that when we looked through the window (no disturbing curtains) he noticed there were many Chinese/ Oriental people in this restaurant so that was a good reason for going in. This is always the key to finding a good restaurant abroad regardless of where you are, if there are a good number of what looks to be "locals" there, it must be positive. We were there fairly late for dinner, between nine and ten o'clock and it was about three quarters full. After being seated the menus quickly arrived and the choice was plentiful, to say the least. For starters we had crispy fried dumplings with prawns (dim sum?) and vegetarian spring rolls with a spicy sauce, these arrived very quickly and were delicious. Very hot and obviously freshly made, really good! We ordered Chinese beer to the food and this suited perfectly. The waiters were very attentive and quickly cleared the plates away when the starters had been enjoyed. For main courses we had Prawns Szechuan style and Scallops with vegetables and rice with egg noodles, the prawn dish turned out to be spicy and hot, the scallops really lovely with green vegetables I couldn't identify, in a mild but tangy sauce. We always share our food and we really enjoyed this meal, my partner was very pleased and commented several times that he wanted to come back here next time we were in London. After returning home I've read the reviews where several people were dissatisfied with both the food and service at the Jade Garden, complaining especially that the waiters were too quick to take away plates etc. We also experienced this but found it to be wholly positive. Our waiters were efficient and brisk, speedy yes, so speedy that my partner commented that if waiters in Norway had worked as quickly as this, the unions would be there to complain that they were working under duress and unfair pressure! :-) Our waiters were always polite, pleasant and made helpful suggestions with regard to choosing from the menu. While we were there people were still coming in, also more Chinese people, as well as European tourists, everyone seemed to be enjoying their food. The menus were well worn yes, we didn't notice that anything looked run down or dirty, I didn't visit the toilets but my partner did and he made no comment when he returned - he would have is something had been wrong/dirty/out of order etc. On the whole we will absolutely return to the Jade Garden again in the future, the food was really good, basic and down-to-earth. For everything we had and the beer we paid just over £ 50,- well worth the money for first class food and a good experience!

There are newer reviews for Jade Garden

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Very good surprise after we found out dim sum trolley service Chuen Cheng Ku restaurant closed. It is full of local Chinese as well as some of the ex-employees from the other. Dim Sum is not trolley serviced. There is a menu with numbered photos of the dishes with description in ideograms, and a carbon sheet where customers mark their orders (see photo). Very tasty dim sum. Staff is friendlier than at our previous destination, and some have better English. We were even suggested dish nbr. 6 (soup dumplings) in one of our 3 visits within a week. We never understood how the bill/check is calculated in any of these places.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

Quick pre-theatre meal, hadn't been to this one before. Decor dated and worn, at least you get a tablecloth unlike some Chinatown restaurants. Service was brusque and unsmiling, but not at all rude. Sizzling beef was ok but not the tenderest, duck was ok but a bit skimpy on the spring onions and pancakes. Toilets unbelievably shabby. I'm sure we could have had a more pleasant experience at other nearby restaurants. The kitchen staff dragged two or three full black plastic bags from the kitchen out through the restaurant to the front door. I didn't like to ask, but I've never seen rubbish sacks dragged through the restaurant before. 2 of us paid £50 including a drink each.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

Have been to Jade Garden more than a couple of times now.

It is one of the more pleasant Chinese restaurants in Chinatown, mostly popular for the Dim Sum (Chinese Tapas) and one of the better ones; more presentable than Wong Kei (a couple of doors down) though it does look dated...so, middling; certainly not fine dining, nowhere close to it in my opinion. The Dim Sum are cooked to order, or is that reheated to order, I do not think most of the Dim Sum are home-made as they look out of a packet…but they are nice enough. The menu have pictures which is good for the punters to see what they will get. Choice is a plenty from safe options of Paper Wrapped Prawns and BBQ pork pastries to Chicken feet, tripe, jelly fish and baby octopus for the adventurous. Dim Sum comes in three varieties – Steamed (dumplings - usually comes out last as they take the longest), fried (quid cakes and paper wrapped prawns) and cold (marinaded baby octopus, BBQ meats). There is also rice and noodle dishes if you have room for more after Dim Sum. Be warned, there are lot of seafood related dishes in Dim Sum and offal.

This place is always busy, especially around lunch time when half of the Chinese population comes in for Dim Sum. Prepare to wait to be seated, I do not know if they take bookings as I have never booked. The staff are not unpleasant…just busy and efficient - which could be misconstrued for being aloof; not remembered the staff being rude at any of my visits. Depending on what you are having…it can seem expensive, saying that it is one of the better ones in Chinatown.

2  Thank Jan P
Reviewed October 10, 2013

Went here as i had decent experiance during my University days 7 years ago. Oh my, how things change.. for the worse.

Decor:

Quite standard, somewhat old fashioned to be honest and small tables for a a group of 4

Service:

Substandard, rude and not very interested and poor attention to customers, often waiting a while to take an order or to get the bill

Food:
While not too bad, the portion size was appaling. The plate of mixed seafood Ho fun was enough for only 1/2 a person. We order 4 plates of food for 4 people and we were still hungry, we had to order a 5th plate of noodles/rice dish to just about make us full.

Food was quite oily and very MSG laden. But what I was disappointed the most was the price and quantity of food ordered. I know this is London but this is borderlining on dalight robbery.

I suggest to give this a miss, even Wong Kei doesn't have portions this small, and they don't hide it in their prices either.

9.80 for a plate of Rice/noodle dish is really not good enough for the quantity and Quality of it. For 4 people we paid £67 no alcohol, but 2 soft drinks, ridiculous

In Summary:

Poor service, quantity and qually important, quality of food here coming from a person of Chinese Heritage. I know what good chinese food tastes like. I Recommend Sai Kei near Greenwich or if your paying these kind of prices go to Royal China, at least the quality is better for the price you pay,