“Absolutely Terrible”
Review of LSE Passfield Hall

LSE Passfield Hall
Ranked #84 of 956 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Passfield Halls is the worse hostel that I have ever stayed in, the rooms were absolutely filthy and we hardly slept because of the constant noise coming from the traffic and the numerous stag parties that were staying in the hostel.

The attitude of the staff was well below standard and they were not in the least bit helpful.

I would not recommend using this hostel

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed June 4, 2009

Passfield hall was a really great place and I would definitely stay there again. For the first two nights, I stayed at Carr-Saunders hall and Passfield is worth the extra money. The bathrooms were very nice - clean and private. I had a twin room and it was big and nice, across the hall from the shared bathroom. The breakfast was good. I would like to let everyone know that they do not let visitors use the computer room as stated in earlier reviews. I don't know if you can get internet access from your own computer since I did not have mine with me. It is a short walk to the British Museum and tube/bus stops. I preferred taking the buses to get around. The students and other visitors were nice.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed February 16, 2009

I would recommend this to just about anyone - it's a shame more hostels can't run themselves like a university dormitory! Passfield was clean, quiet and in an unbeatable location in Bloomsbury, very central to tube lines and London's attractions. The rooms are comfortable and the shared bathrooms are surprisingly private, with plenty of hot water to go around.

The value is fantastic. All the double were booked so we took a triple and just didn't use the extra bed and it was STILL cheaper and nicer than anything else we looked at before booking. There is a breakfast every morning, and as a vegetarian I appreciated the fact that there was plenty for me to eat. Fruit and boxes of cereal are provided for those travelers who can't sit down for a full breakfast.

My only complaints were that we got there early and had to store our luggage in a unused dorm room. It was packed with bags and it didn't seem particularly secure. There was also one grumpy desk person who wasn't very helpful when asked for directions or other help. These are really really small things in comparison to the complaints one could potentially have when staying in a hostel!

I wish I could stay here every time I go to London!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 25, 2008

I have just returned from a eleven night stay at Passfield Hall, London.
This was an excellent base for me as I did daily train travel in and out of London. It is a seven minute walk to Euston Station, here you can catch the underground or trains.
Most important issue for me when booking was the security. I give this 100%. Every hall is electronically keyed, as was each room, kitchen, computer room, laundry room and main entrance door.
The room was comfortable, good size, clean except for slightly soiled carpet, daily towel change. The mattress could have been a better quality though. Also had a telephone that could be used with phone cards, a wash basin and a window that I could open as I was on the 1st floor and felt safe with it kept open as it openened from the top.
Having a computer room was great. Although only three were working when I was there.
The breakfast was excellent, many choices and I noticed that most "tourist" were able to make sandwiches for their lunches and take a piece of fruit. Many healthy choices available.
I did not use the TV lounge, it seemed their was always sports being watched. Huge TV screen.
Did laundry which was great and not too expensive.
Staff helpful and pleasant.
Easy check-in and departure. Offered to call the cab.
Great having the kitchen on each floor. Nothing of mine was taken from the fridge except my milk. You must date and put your name on ll items in fridge.
There is a Tesco Express opposite the Russel Square Underground. All train stations have a Marks and Spencers with ready made meals that can be heated in micro.
Overall, WELL ABOVE AVERAGE

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank emmahayley
Reviewed September 23, 2008

If you want to stay in central London at affordable prices, you can consider staying in this hall of residence. This hall has recently been refurbished. The rooms are large and clean. Toilets and shower rooms are to be shared, but they are very clean. One amazing thing to stay in this hall is the Internet access. Most halls of residence do not allow Internet access unless you are their students, or pay on hourly basis. Passfield Hall allows you to get free, wireless Internet access on your own laptop computer. You can also use the computers in the computer room. The breakfast they provide is really nice. There are great varieties in abundant supply, viz, fresh fruit, cereals, toasts, croissants, juice, etc. The location is perfect. The nearest underground station is Euston Station. It takes 5 minutes’ walk to get there.

However, there is no lift or escalator in Passfield Hall annex except in the main building. It can be a headache if you are to carry your luggage walking up and down in narrow staircase. We did make a request, in person, to stay in the main building a couple of weeks before our check-in date. However, we were assigned to the annex on the third floor. It was the most annoying thing about our stay in Passfield.

• Stayed: July 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank JennLee_HK
Reviewed August 25, 2008

first time at passfield not my last excellent clean bedrooms with toliets and showers opposite use of kitchen excellent breakfast with good choice outside seating space tv lounge plus snooker room and internet room beats alot of the 3 stars hotels ive used in the area security top rate and staff friendly and helpfull

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank TIMELORDLeicester
Reviewed August 4, 2008

My friend & I just spent a week at Passfield Hall, and doubt if we could have found better single room accommodation in London for anywhere near this price. Everywhere, from the rooms, communal areas like showers, and the dining areas were clean and well maintained. The showers were good, and there was always plenty hot water, and clean towels provided.
The choice and quality of the breakfast was excellent - more than enough selection of both cooked items and cereals/fruit etc to suit us (including my friend who is vegetarian), and always served with a smile.
The location is great too - handy for Euston, Euston Square, Russell Square and not too far from Kings Cross - plus the many restaurants in the area, and attractions such as the British Museum and Foundling Museum.
If you don't mind the fact that rooms are not en suite and don't have televisions this is great accommodation at a great price.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends