“60 steps”

Ranked #103 of 853 Specialty Lodging in London
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“60 steps”
Reviewed April 26, 2014

location, good, room good hotwater available reasonable breakfast - passing all other tests including wi fi in room, the 60 stairs to my room makes it the least attractive of the LSE accomodation Ive stayed

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank WHEATEAR2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 15, 2014

This accommodation is in a fantastic location, a very easy walk from either Euston or St Pancras. I stayed in a single room with a shared bathroom, and cannot fault the value. The room was simple but clean, with a lovely view and everything I could have needed, including a sink in the room itself. The bathrooms were also well-kept and I didn't once see anybody else whilst I was using them - although my one complaint is that the nearest bathroom was quite a distance from my room!
The staff were friendly and very helpful, and a cooked breakfast was included - all in all, excellent value accommodation and I would stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Bingley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

This is LSE University halls which are used as traveller accommodation out of term time. We had a twin room, which was a great size, and it was very clean and comfortable. We were sharing a bathroom with one other room, which was also big, clean and just what we needed. The location is pretty central, about a 5 minute walk from Euston station. The breakfast was also really good - lots of choice and a nice canteen are which is good for meeting other people. The only things I could fault was the guy who checked us in, as he seemed a bit unsure of things and gave us poor directions to our room, and the shower, which had a faulty tap.

Room Tip: We were on the fourth floor - let's just say our thighs had a good work out climbing the stairs!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2014

I stayed here for two nights in a single room whilst attending a conference close by. On the whole, my room was a decent size with an outlook onto Endsleigh Place which is actually suprisingly quiet at night given the central London location. The exterior of the building is lovely, and enjoyed the large window in my room. The location of Passfield Hall is a great selling point - it is only a short walk from Euston Square station, Tottenham Court Road and UCL buildings. The building is also secure and is only accessible to keycard holders.

Beyond the location, however, I was disappointed with the quality of accomodation offered at Passfield Hall. Before staying here, my expectations were based on my own experience of being a student in university halls and a brief stay in Lancaster University halls last year. Based on these, However, Passfield Hall fell well below my expectations.

The main issue was cleanliness - in my room there were multiple pieces of rubbish stuffed down the side of the bed between the mattress and wall (crisp packets, recycling bags) and used earplugs and hair ties on the floor. There were also several hairs on the sheets.

The communal bathrooms were the key area that needed improvement - one of the showers opposite my room ran continiously throughout my stay, and in doing so, flooded the entire bathroom (meaning it was impossible to place bags etc. on the floor whilst showering). The shower head and tiles within the shower were covered in hair and mildew, and the water did not sufficiently drain through the plug hole. As a result, I spent the entire shower dodging the assorted matter that emerged from the plug hole with the rising water level. The toilets were the most foul aspect of my stay - I visited three different bathrooms (actually in the search for a clean one) and each of the toilets I visited were covered, to a variable degree, with faeces. I noticed that this was not cleaned away 24 hours later.

The uncleanliness also transferred into the breakfast hall where the cutlery was unclean. I also noticed that there were several small flies landing on, and around, the tray with the sauces. Beyond this, I agree with other reviewers that the cooked breakfast was good quality and represents excellent value given the price I paid per night.

When taken together, I do agree with other reviewers that Passfield Hall offers a basic place to stay in an excellent location. The staff were polite and the breakfast good. However, the cleanliness of both the room and, in particular, the communal bathrooms was a huge disappointment. The low cost of the rooms is clearly an advantage but, for me, the poor cleanliness really ruined what would have otherwise been a pleasant stay. Unfortunately, I wouldn't stay here again or recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
5 Thank 16mjb91
Austin, Texas, USA
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Passfield Hall is convenient for Bloomsbury and central London as well as Camden Town, and the rail stations at Euston and St Pancras. It is open to the public at the student holidays and, as an LSE hall, is the least expensive accommodation in the tourist areas of London.

The reception was open day and night. The rooms are accessed with a card.

I had a single room with a single bed and a wash basin. There was a wardrobe by the wall. Toilets and showers were close at hand and clean. A bar of soap and a packet of hair shampoo were in the room. A radiator with the standard settings provided heat at night. There was a kitchen with tea kettle, microwave and refrigerator on the floor.

Wifi quality and speed was good. There is no charge; a signup is necessary but I have not received any ads or spam since doing so.

I used the luggage room to store my gear before check-in time and after check-out.

The breakfast has several warm dishes including eggs and a vegetarian sausage at a serving line, was well as self-serve bread, pastries, cereal, milk and orange juice. Satisfying, nothing fancy.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Viajero952
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

This is an absolute gem of a place to stay in Central London. Student halls in term time and good basic lodgings in the holidays. You can't beat the price for what you get. It's clean and the breakfast is awesome. Take a hair dryer and a travel kettle though as this is no frills.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank mollymermaid
Chicago, IL, USA
Reviewed October 6, 2013

My sister and I stayed here for two nights in a room with two twin beds (no en suite). The rooms were MUCH bigger than any of my college dorm rooms. The sinks in the room are great. Bathrooms down the hall are small and co-ed. The shower doors lock (again, an upgrade from my own recent college experience). We arrived prior to the official check in time so left our luggage in an unlocked, unattended luggage room. The room was very crowded and luggage was piled high. There should be a better system in place for early arrivals if the room is ready. Breakfast was great - there is a limit to how much you can take from certain categories of food - but it was very filling and there was a good variety. I am gluten free and asked for assistance choosing food. The kitchen staff were not knowledgeable but then the head chef walked me through everything and read labels on all - including the canned tomatoes. Bravo! No major complaints about our stay (other than the luggage room - but nothing was taken). The hotel was a solid stay. We chose it based on its price and location to the Eurostar station for a very early train out to Paris. St. Pancras and metro stations are very close by and we felt safe walking around the area after dark.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Michelle60640
Stephanie S, Manager at LSE Passfield Hall, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor.

I am pleased that you and your sister both enjoyed your recent stay with us in Passfield Hall.

At the time of your visit, our returning students were beginning to arrive back from their long summer vacation and this is why our luggage storage area was more hectic than usual.

Our inclusive breakfast offers great value for money and I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments about our helpful Chef.

We very much hope to be able to welcome you back on your next visit to London!