“Not nearly as good as other reviews make out.”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of LSE Passfield Hall

LSE Passfield Hall
Ranked #111 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Not nearly as good as other reviews make out.”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I found my stay here to be disappointing from beginning to end. I had spoke to one member of staff the day before my stay (with regards to obtaining a fan and an early check-in) and I was informed that my room would probably be ready at around 12 noon. At the time, I was also told that the official check in-time would actually be 5pm, which was actually a surprise (and quite frankly, absurd) given that my booking had stated 3pm. I arrived at the check-in desk at 12.30pm (hoping that the room would be available) and the four female receptionists didn't even bother to make eye contact, let alone say 'hello' or 'how can I help?' In fact, they had to be prompted to make any sort of conversation which I found surprisingly rude and unprofessional. I was strictly informed that check In was at 5pm and 5pm only and there would be no chance of a check in before that time ( despite what an another member of staff had told me during the previous day). This was disappointing given that I was going to a festival in Hyde Park that started at noon. They also went on to criticise that particular member of staff in front of everyone in the reception.

I was given a key to a luggage store to drop my bag which was completely unstaffed. Any person staying at this hotel could steal others valuables and there's nothing stopping a member of the public walking in behind someone with a key (especially given the chaotic nature of reception). ' I had no option but to take my bag with me and sit in a park across the road until 3pm. On leaving reception, i heard a member of staff telling a customer 'that check-in was between 3-5pm' completely contradictory to what I was told. When I came back to reception at 3pm there were hoards of people congregating in the hot, stuffy reception waiting to get their room key. It was a challenge just to get to the desk. I stayed on the third floor (lift only goes to the 2nd) the decor throughout the accommodation was tired, dated, dirty and stained. Rooms are basic, but I was already aware of that. The heat throughout the building is unbearable, how anyone can sleep in those rooms during summer months is beyond me. I was literally pouring with sweat no matter which part of the building I was in. The windows only open two inches and there's no air con. I had the luxury of a fan, but the power was akin to one of those 99p battery powered hand held things. I literally plugged it in and had to have it within a foot of my head just to feel a gentle breeze. That was the only reason that I got any sleep at all, I really felt for others staying without one.

Showers are cramped and seemed to run hot water only and there's no where to put your clothes or toiletries. One of the toilets has a window with no blind or curtains so people can see you from buildings across the road.

Breakfast was average and the staff treat customers like crap. It really was like a military exercise. I was embarrassingly asked 'WHERE'S YOUR BREAKFAST CARD!' in front of many.

Ultimately, if you enjoy staying in a hot stuffy dump where the staff treat like customers like dirt then you should stay here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Colin B
Fiona T, Manager at LSE Passfield Hall, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I am extremely sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay and that we did not manage to live up to your expectations. I accept that we should have done more to make clear to you in advance of your arrival that check-in time on our turnaround day would be at the later time of 5pm. I apologise that this was clearly not the case on this occasion. As a result of your complaint we have amended our processes to make sure that on turnaround days in the future, our guests will be fully aware in advance of their arrival that check-in is later than normal. I also apologise that you were given incorrect information by a member of staff and that your experience of our breakfast service was less than satisfactory. I will ensure that both these issues are addressed in future staff training sessions.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hostel looks nice and I wish I could say I had had the opportunity to stay there, but unfortunately due to poor customer service I was unable to. Don't expect any miracles from this place if an unexpected event prevents you from making it to your room on time. My flight was delayed, and when I called to exchange my reservation to the night after, they were booked solid. They were also booked for three other nights I tried. I asked if an exception could be made given the circumstances to have my booking cancelled without penalties, and they all but told me to piss off. Despite being booked solid, and therefore definitely being able to make their money back through another traveller, they refused. Instead, they wanted me to cancel, keep my money, and then rebook the room to another traveller. Needless to say I did not agree to this and was left extremely dissatisfied by the experience, particularly given the attitude of the receptionist and manager, who during my second call told me they had better things to do, and told me to stop calling and wasting their time as they would do nothing for me. I honestly could not believe it. Worst. Service. Ever.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank K M
Fiona T, Manager at LSE Passfield Hall, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us on Tripadvisor.

Whilst we would have been happy to move your reservation with us to another day, we can only do so at times when we have vacant rooms available. Unfortunately in this case we were fully booked on all your alternative dates and therefore unable to accommodate your request. I am sorry that we failed to meet your expectations on this occasion.

Please be assured that we take our customer service very seriously. Feedback such as yours is valuable as it enables us to learn from our mistakes and put things right. We will take steps to ensure this does not happen again. Please accept my apologies if our service fell below our usual standard on this occasion.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Clean and tidy housing. Nice neighborhood, quite close to Euston Station with easy access to all the main attractions of the city. Worthwhile for both long and short stays, with a plain and correct English breakfast. The room is designed for the LSE students, so be prepared for a simple bed, wardrobe and study table. The shared bathrooms are clean and tidy.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Didn't realize it was in the 'student area of London - really posh area, hotel was lovely - clean & tidy - rooms were very comfortable....for £90 each for 2 nights which included breakfast - for London - we couldn't complain!

and a stone's throw from Covert Garden so we saved loads on tubes......literately able to walk right into town

Will happily book there again - quite happily.....

Room Tip: if there's two of you sharing - double is only £68 which make's it better value for money...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Michelle800
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Price seemed reasonable, perfect location, and nice pictures. Stayed for 8 nights and could not sleep at all. Being a student hall, I expected silent rooms to be able to study and rest, but I got coughing noises from the neighbor, the entrance doorbell, foot traffic by reception inside a room with a bed, desk and washbin.
What they did not mention in the website at all is that windows don't shut properly, all the noise from the street comes in, as well as a nearby A/C unit which made it impossible to sleep.
Staff at reception are not qualified to deal with customers or any issue outside standard check-in/check-out procedure.
There is no elevator, so be sure to pack lightly or have someone carry your suitcases up the stairs..

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the street
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
LSEVacations, Manager at LSE Passfield Hall, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Thank you for your comments. It was unfortunate that we were unable to accommodate your request for a “silent room if possible.” Our occupancy at the time limited us to the number of options we could present to you.

The sash windows in our listed building are maintained throughout the year, and our maintenance team was available to assist had we been advised of a problem. As advertised on our website it is the case that access to some parts of Passfield are by stair only, however the main building is fully serviced by lifts. Our reception team operate daily throughout the year, looking after people from all corners of the globe, and the feedback we receive from our guests is good to excellent. We appreciate that your stay with us was not wholly satisfactory, and although the entire team mobilised to assist, we acknowledged that we could not provide you with the room you required, and apologised.

We wish to thank you for your comments. The entire team at Passfield take all customer feedback seriously, reviewing both our operation and training requirements accordingly.
Isle of Wight
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed overnight as we wanted to be close to London attractions. It's 45 years since I was in a Hall of Residence (University of Exeter) and I have to say my accommodation then was of a higher standard than Passfield Hall. I think the Travelodge would be a safer and more comfortable overnight stay than Passfield Hall, but at least they provide breakfast and a coffee or tea (if they have any mugs available and we had to share one!). Sorry, Passfield Hall, but you're OK for backpackers and students, but those of us wanting some creature comforts would want a little more.

Room Tip: Try to be in the main block.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Stayed for one night, great location only 5 minutes walk to Euston Station with all transport links. Very quiet location. Rooms are very basic but what do you expect for £60 for two people in central London including breakfast!! Room and shower room were very clean and well kept. Would recommend for a cheap stay and i will be using this place again myself in the future.

• Stayed April 2013