“Never again”

Ranked #466 of 1,063 Hotels in London
ocala, fl
“Never again”
Reviewed November 22, 2010

I was settling into my single room, number 102, when I heard voices outside the window, then smelt smoke. Smoke was wafting through the window, left open by staff, as the outdoor customer smoking zone is located right outside room 102. Another problem was the mattress; it was narrow and hard. Room 102 should either be turned into a storage room or management should not permit people to smoke outside this room if it is occupied by a non-smoker.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank granbranfan
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Wimbledon, responded to this review, December 1, 2010
Dear granbranfan

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, as all guest feedback whether positive or negative, helps us to strive to achieve the best service levels.

Please be assured that all areas located in the vicinity of bedrooms are not designated as smoking areas, to ensure the comfort of our guests. I hope that you can appreciate that this was an isolated incident, and one which was beyond our control.

Once again thank you for bringing this issue to our attention, as it allows us the opportunity to monitor this area, to prevent future occurrencences.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
cape town
Reviewed November 2, 2010

On arrival the room (wingfield suite) was neat and tidy. It is extremely spacious and value for money. However the tv was not able to play all of its channels (only 3 or 5). When reporting this to management it was quickly sorted the following morning. I had problems with my internet however once again the manager to the rescue who had it sorted for me within a jiffy.
The location is fantastic, only a short walk to wimbledon station and the bus stops (both directions) are outside of the hotel.
Personally I would have preferred a firmer mattress as I suffer with lower back problems but my wife was ok with it.
The other negative I have is the lift which is just to the right of the room which brings with it certain noises (people and door closing).
I rate this hotel 9 out of 10 and will definitely come back again.
Clyde & Pat - South Africa

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 29, 2010

I'm used to paying over the odds. I'm used to small rooms. I'm used to paying for facilities(in this case the air-con) that don't work. I'm used to being kept awake by noise. All of these wouldn't put me off staying at the Antoinette again, if I really had to. The reason I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone is the fact they charged an extra £40 to my credit card because my partner got a small amount of blood on the sheets during her period. Most hotels can legally surcharge you for any damage caused through negligence. Is being a woman on your period negligent? I think this sets a very dangerous, sexist precedent if women should fear being charged extra, simply because of their physiology. I mean, think of all the things people get up to in hotel beds, that aren't accidents, cause staining, and don't get charged? I wonder why? We were actually charged for cleaning the mattress. So, why don't they use protectors like most other hotels do? I'd say that was negligent. This experience, and having to deal with staff who can only say"we've got your money now, there's nothing you can do about it" has left me with a very bitter taste in my mouth.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BenjiBunnyBoy
Antoinette_Hotels, Guest Relations Manager at Antoinette Hotel Wimbledon, responded to this review, September 30, 2010
Dear Bunny Boy You have expressed your concern regarding the charge to your credit card, upon investigation and checking your invoice, the £40.00 relates to a room recovery fee. This fee is applicable if guests smoke in the bedrooms, as it is not possible to allocate the bedrooms to another guest for 24hrs.
Newquay, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2010

Booked this hotel with 3 other colleagues for 4 nights.
Positives; Good location for purpose of visit, very frindly staff and efficient too. Beer/drink in bar is served well too. Restaurant next door, although a separate building it is good you can charge to your room.
Rooms clean and functional. Reception area is pleasant. Plenty of good local restaurants
Negatives: Rooms are really quite small and a bit tight. My room was at the rear but my colleagues at the front said road noise was a problem so if you book insist on a rear facing room. Don't ask hotel to book a taxi, the fair was 3 times as much as same journey booked independently...better still tube isn't that far away
Breakfats is very much DIY but quality is okay, would be nice to be served tea/coffee at least
Overall I would use again

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I thought the hotel looked a bit tired and could do with some revamping, we attended a wedding here the chandeliers in the hired room are in desperate need of cleaning, we were also surprised that breakfast wasn't included int he high priced room rate.
The rooms are pretty basic but the bathroom was spacious.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 7, 2010

Well presented and comfortable hotel on the Broadway in Wimbledon. Right opposite bus stops, numerous eateries and bars nearby as well as a 3D Imax cinema. Adequately sized rooms which were clean and well presented on my return each day. All staff were polite and helpful and can't fault the room service. Free WiFi worked well too.
Can't comment on value as work paid but would definitely return without a doubt.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
St Ives, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Management & Staff are very helpful & at the ready when we had a small problem with the air-con.
The Club room which we occupied was very neat & clean. Loved the shower... :)
The bed very comfortable. It has all the necessary condiments & requirements although we faced the main road, once the window was closed, it was very quiet.
We used the hotel as a "stop gap" for the w/end & it was in an excellent area & fairly close to where we needed to be.
Generally, we enjoyed our stay will definitely use the Antoinette Hotel again in the future.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Wimbledon Hotel
#721 of 1,063 in London
Wimbledon
Hotel du Vin Wimbledon
Hotel du Vin Wimbledon
#515 of 1,063 in London
Clapham / Battersea
Pelican London Hotel and Residence
Antoinette Hotel Kingston upon T...
#7 of 12 in Kingston upon Thames

Been to Antoinette Hotel Wimbledon? Share your experiences!