“A decent place in great location.”
Review of Chester Hotel

Chester Hotel
Ranked #879 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Helsinki, Finland
“A decent place in great location.”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

We stayed here as a couple for one night on our way from Southampton to Helsinki. The location was just perfect for us, we arrived at and left from Victoria station. We dropped our baggages there and went on to see the city, it all went easily. There was a kind of a hassle when we got back, because apparently they weren't sure where the key to our room was, and the night receptionist didn't speak English too well. Our room was number 2 and there was enough space, could have been a bit cleaner though, but in this price range I think it was ok. Next day we again left our baggages there and went to see the city. Overall, Chester Hotel worked out well for us.

Room Tip: Room number 2 had enough space
Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 3, 2013

It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I wouldn't stay again or recommend. It was clean and in a great location, and our room wasn't too bad. I think we had a lucky room. We had to stay an extra night in London and looked at last minute deals, we ended up in a 5* for £90 in covent garden! My advice would be to wait until the night before to get a great deal, check for big events in London though before you wait.

• Stayed August 2013
Ballater, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

My husband and I stayed in the Chester Hotel for 4 nights (10th – 14th July). We would certainly not recommend itl, Room 1– at over £100 per “double” room per night and that included a discount it was like a cell – filthy carpet patched with tape, no bedside light or table, nowhere to lay out a case/backpack, no plug in the sink, no tumbler or bathmat in the bathroom (why 2 wineglasses?) a rickety chair and worst of all – no fresh air - the window opened on to the entrance to toilets and the area above was covered in! The receptionist was glued to his mobile – didn’t have much in the way of politeness and constantly fobbed us off. Had to wait a day to get the correct remote for the TV. Maid was lovely and at least the bed and bathroom were clean. Health & Safety issue too - carpet going down the narrow stairs to the basement was patched with tape and in the morning it was covered with a plastic sheet as builders were carting rubble from the rear of the building – no warning/take care notices! Would love to put photos on this site to warn others! How this place got 3 stars we’ll never know!

Room Tip: Avoid the basement rooms like the plague
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank 564Elizabeth
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

To call room 17 a bedroom is having a laugh. If this was a prison cell the governer would be in trouble with the prison reformers. I am not a tall man but my head touched the one wall and my feet the other whilst in bed. Take a tip and use the loo before showering or take your wellies. A fridge passes for a bedside table here. On the plus side I had 2 mirrors, but they were both on the floor. The room is in fact 2 converted coal cellers, I tried to take some photos, but it is so tiny that it was impossible to get a photo. I have only given them a terrible rating as there is not a worse one on this website.

Room Tip: dont stay here
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Cazi3
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 1, 2013

Stayed here for one night on 30 June. The location is perfect and we paid £45 for the room, which was extremely clean and tidy. It was pretty small, but we didn't expect any less for what we'd paid.

Staff were friendly and helpful, not that we needed anything. Was also pleasantly surprised to find tea and coffee making facilities in the room.

All in all a good experience for the money. Not sure i'd stay for more than a couple of nights due to the room size, but it's perfect if you need a central London bed for the night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Malaysia
Reviewed June 17, 2013

My friend and I stayed in early May 2013. We chose this hotel because of its location and price, the proximity to Victoria station is a plus .
Due to some mix up, instead of us getting a single room with ensuite each, they gave us a "triple" with a small rebate. Costs us 80 pounds for the one night we were there.
The "triple" was a joke. There was a 4 feet bed which is supposed to be for 2 persons. I do not know how two persons can sleep in this bed. Then there is a 2.5 feet single bed, both placed in an L-shaped alignment with a bedside table at the foot of the single bed. When the person who sleeps in the single bed toss and turn with the bedclothes, everything on the bedside table would go toppling over.
There is barely room left in the room for 2 big luggages and 2 carry-ons so we had to close the suitcases and stack them upright. I even had to put my carry-on in the bathroom shower!! The carpet was stained, dusty and old.
Bed linens and towels were alright.
There is no cupboard or shelves to hang your clothes, just a towel rail thing fixed on the wall. An armchair was placed in a corner with a small mini-bar next to it and on top of the mini-bar was the kettle, two cups and saucers and coffee/tea sachets.
The bathroom was a nightmare though recently refurbished. The sink was so tiny that when you turn on the tap, water splashed all over the floor. So everytime you wash your face or brush your teeth, you have to mop the floor afterwards with the towels. The shower did not work properly, there was only hot water, there was no cold water to mix so you cannot shower unless you want to be scalded. We ended up showering in the common bathroom which was down in the basement.
The male night receptionist did not understand or speak English properly. However, the day receptionists, also male, were friendly and helpful.
The only redeeming feature of this hotel is its location. 15 minutes walk to Victoria and lots of eateries in the neighbourhood. There is a Sainsbury's round the corner.
Fortunately we were there for 1 night. Will never stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Josephine C
Worksop, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Myself and 3 other adults stayed here for 2 nights in march. We stayed in room 18 in the basement. Yes it was small but I thought it was pretty cosy. The decor was pretty nice, big tv....comfortable beds. Check in was a breeze and the staff were friendly enough. There was a power cut on the second night for a couple of hours but we made light of this and found it quite amusing. My partner left all our valuables in the hotel which the staff was kind enough to inform us but we were half way across the country which resulting in them having to send us or things for a fee of ten pounds which I thought was reasonable. The hotel was extremely cheap and I would happily stay there again as somewhere to change and get my head down. Location was fantasticI really don't see what all the fuss is about. If you pay for a cheap hotel that's what you get. I was satisfied.
T

Room Tip: Room 18 was fine. Beware of travelling solo, even the family rooms were tiny.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends