Portobello House
$286
$276
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
All reviewsladbroke grovenotting hillboutique hotelclub king roomfour postertube stationyogurtboiled eggsminute walkno liftrooms are smallstayed here for one nightdefinitely stay here againthe ground floordouble bedfantastic locationhyde park
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We stayed on Saturday night after a party in Notting Hill and were not expecting too much but, even with those low expectations, we were sorely disappointed. The room was tiny. That's OK as we only wanted a bed for the night but, even at Ikea, you can pick slightly less shabby furniture and maybe fix the cheapest-ever TV on the wall straight. It looked like a DIY bodge up throughout. The door lock took several attempts to open each time and the bathroom featured a basin tap which was literally flopping around, but at least we had the opportunity to listen to the guests above us use their bathroom in intimate detail - I can't believe this construction meets domestic standards, let alone that required of a hotel. The entrance is a fire escape leading to a makeshift desk on the stair landing, but I guess that's OK. But then we came to breakfast. The pub in which it is to be had is furnished with the cheapest, worst furniture - more like a hostel in the developing world than a London hotel - but the breakfast itself was the worst I have ever been expected to help myself to: weak coffee stewing in an ancient machine, cheapo orange juice and sliced bread next to a toaster that wouldn't stay on. After several attempts to toast the bread we gave up and went out for a decent breakfast. Is it really too much to expect an edible breakfast for this price? The one we ate out cost under £10. Overall this place felt like a cynical attempt to invest as little as possible and obscure that fact by saying "it's bohemian". Well I don't buy it and I won't be coming back.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GetALife100
limatad, Guest Relations Manager at Portobello House, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

Dear guest, Where to start ! We are sorry you did not enjoy your complimentary tea/toast coffee/muffins breakfast.Our main breakfast of cheese /ham/croissant and cappuccino is only £9 and maybe you should have requested it , although most people love our complimentary breakfast and do not take that option . All our rooms have great coffee from brand new nespresso coffee machines at no charge, and our complimentary breakfast bread is made daily by our chef with a choice of olive/plain plus some sliced bread that does not require slicing. Regarding the furniture, our beds are some of the best in the industry, made for us by Millbrook, and we are much complimented on the wonderful comfort they provide, our locals and people from afar have found our bar furniture charming, some is antique, and quite valuable. Regarding the soundproofing , I am afraid to say you have this wrong, we have building certification that includes extensive soundproofing required by law for a Hotel to the highest level and inspected by building control. For the toaster I apologise ,it was broken , but immediately replaced, but it must have been annoying . The door keycards were a new set and had teething problems, (again annoying) now resolved. I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay , we have a visitors book full of compliments and reports of happy times from guests , open for inspection in our reception.I do hope you find somewhere that suits you better, warm regards .
Lara
Portobello House

Reviewed December 3, 2013

This was the second time I've stayed at the Portobello House and found the staff friendly as usual and the location perfect for my needs. The room maintenance has decreased a bit from my last stay but was still acceptable. What I found unacceptable was a band playing in the downstairs bar until midnight which made it impossible to sleep - the noise in the room was deafening. I think if you have a boutique hotel above a stylish bar/restaurant you have to be considerate to your resident guests. Will I stay in the future? Perhaps but I'll definitely will ask if a band is performing and if the answer is yes, I'll stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Rear rooms are quieter due to the traffic. Check if there's a life band performing.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paula A
limatad, General Manager at Portobello House, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Guest, Thank you for returning to stay with us and for taking the time to write a positive review .A lot of our guests stay with us because we have such a friendly busy bar and they also like to enjoy a drink while watching our great fun Cabaret. Dates of which are on the website. All our music finishes at 11.30 sharp. We are sorry that noise was a problem for you and if you do wish to return, may i suggest the top floor is the quietest. Wo look forward to welcoming you back. Kind regards,
Portobello Team

Reviewed October 13, 2013 via mobile

What a lovely little spot to have dinner. My husband, daughter and I had a humbly named Sunday "roast" (which was actually prime rib.) The dinner included delicious carrots, crispy potatoes and Yorkshire pudding. So delicious! We even got a carafe of wine for free because we both ordered the roast. My daughter is quite young, so we ordered her a side of macaroni and cheese, which was awesome as well. The interior is so cute and cosy with a big leather couch set near a fireplace. It was the perfect spot to get out of the rain and have an amazing meal. Would definitely return, especially on Sunday!

Stayed: October 2013
limatad, Owner at Portobello House, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time to write and let us know you enjoyed your Sunday lunch with us. We care about all our guests and we are really happy when someone kindly takes the time to let us know when we get it right. We hope you will come back soon.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is a hotel with a fantastic atmosphere and with very helpful staff. The Percy Bar was a really perfect place for both comfort and partytime and with lots of friendly people.
I would definitly come back.
Anna / Kristiansand Norway

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
limatad, Owner at Portobello House, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Anna,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review we are very grateful.

We hope to welcome you back to Portobello House in the future.

Kind regards,

Louisa

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Really fantasic boutique hotel............so lovely to sit outside on the terrace with drinks amongst the bamboo screens................the rooms are very well presented to a high standard and the team are amazing and attentive from the managment to the cleaning team. Everyone is focused on providing guests/visitors a high standard of friendly, knowlegable service. If you can't spend the night at least hang out for drinks or supper. The menu & wine cellar is extensive. I had the fresh crab linguine it was amazing. Traditional Sunday Roast also does not disappoint. G8 transport links from Ladbrooke Grove Underground.......We will look for any excuse to stay here again in the future. Good for business or leisure.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CatK2000

Dear Reviewer,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a response we are very grateful.

We do look forward to welcoming you back to Portobello House in the future.

With kind regards,