“Comfortable and friendly”
Review of Portobello House

Portobello House
Ranked #75 of 577 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed for one night at the Portobello House and could find little to complain about.
We were greeted warmly by the staff in the bar who showed us to the small reception for the hotel. The Receptionist was on duty, available and lovely.
The room was small yes, but adequate. Tastefully decorated (depends on your taste I suppose) and with the most comfortable bed I have ever enjoyed in ANY hotel. The room was a little cold and I initially thought there was a window open but there wasnt. The noise from the street was a little annoying but didnt stop me enjoying a good sleep.
The bar / bistro was really nice! The staff were helpful, friendly and well informed. We ate both lunch and breakfast there. I had the Portobello burger, cooked to my liking and very tasty - triple cooked chips were lovely and crispy. The breakfast was continental and not huge but fine for our needs. Drinks were expensive but the cocktails I sampled were delicious!

I really enjoyed my stay here - not sure where the other reviewers were staying when they gave such bad reviews.... will stay again if I am in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get a room not on the main street - a little noisy
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JoRen81

Reviewed November 10, 2012

We've eaten here a couple of times before - when the food was pretty standard pub/ bistro food. Went again last night and the food has really gone up a couple of notches. We shared three starters - the squid was perfectly cooked and hot with a nice mayonnaise dip, excellent frito misto vedura had a great tempura batter and no taste of other foods being cooked in the oil. The pigeon breast turned out to be quail (the chef told us at the end - so communication from kitchen to serving staff needs to be better, but I'm being picky given that this happens in much more experienced restaurants). Mains were good - a big Sea Bream for one looked great, as did the Spaghetti Vongole - lots of clams rather than lots of clam shells! - although it could have done with a little bit more of the lemon mentioned on the menu, my Onglet steak was fantastic - properly cooked to crisp on the outside and almost bleu on the inside and then perfectly sliced on a tasty reduction of juice, red wine and perhaps a shade too much butter... But by god it tasted good! Good wine list - had I been celebrating in style I'd have been tempted by the Ruinart Blanc de Blanc or regular 'R' champagne at about £7 more than you can buy at Majestic. We had a S African Cab, Shiraz blend at just over £25... Great value. Overall a really good meal - with the bonus of Simon Sharma having dinner at the next table. Don't whether he knows anything about food but hey. We'll go back

Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
limatad, Guest Relations Manager at Portobello House, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2012

Thank you for your constructive email, we are always delighted when guests have an enjoyable time. Kind regards Lara

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Portobello House is everything one could wish for from an evening in London.
Very comfortable room and extremely courteous staff. The bar is a particular highlight, with a great atmosphere and lovely food. A perfect place to unwind and enjoy drinks and dinner with friends. The owners have obviously put a lot of effort in to create something special. Will come again!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank turkeydan
Reviewed November 3, 2012

As for design - Student house redesigned by Lawrence Llewelyn Bowen

Strange 'ghost' reception - no one ever there

Strange fire escape entrance to the hotel for when the pub is closed - not a soul in sight!

No one could possibly say the 'Percy Room' is 'light and airy with sumptuous drapes' - unless of course they are from the management of the hotel.

The room is dark and the drapes are cheap voile, frayed and torn.

The manager is unpleasant, arrogant and clearly a megalomaniac - 'Do you know Pop Stats stay here'

This is the first negative review I have ever had to write about any hotel I have ever stayed in!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Sally2703
limatad, Guest Relations Manager at Portobello House, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Oh dear, our manager is normally very much loved by our guests . Obviously the romantic style room was not liked by you both, as ladies , and i do understand that , (The other lady posted an earlier review) I am really sorry you got upset but we did not have another free room to offer you as we were fully booked. The afternoon you left a photo shoot was taken in that very room for a bridal magazine and the charming artistic photographer complimented us on the interior design . I cannot post a link but her name is britt spring com. I suppose beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Better luck next time

Reviewed October 30, 2012

Location is not the high end of the area, but it is perfectly fine and safe! The staff went overboard to please us. We arrived very early in the morning and they kept our luggage for all day. We ate in the restaurant/pub for dinner and had a delicious meal and wine. It was a lively and youthful scene and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The room was immaculate and perfect for an overnight stay. They knew we were heading out at 5am when no one would be around and I was very surprised when he brought us 3 giant, delicious muffins to have with our coffee/tea in the room before we departed. Very nice staff!

Room Tip: Our window was on the street so we could hear street noise; if you do not want that, request a room...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 30, 2012

What a real find! I was massively dubious as we pulled up late on Sunday evening, to ring the buzzer on the metal door at the back of a bar / bistro on Ladbroke Grove. Even more dubious as I was buzzed in and was faced with a metal external staircase. Hmmm

But it lead up to a nice little and little is the operative word reception area, fast checking and we were being shown to our room. Its a real rabbit warren of period corridors and stair cases, and to our room (10). And it was lovely! Nice desk, coffee espresso machine, wall mounted TV, cool bathroom and very comfy bed.

Breakfast the next day was spot on also.

We will go back

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My friend and I travel from Yorkshire once every three months to go shopping.

We have stayed in various locations around London in decent mid priced accommodation, for example The Sloan Square Hotel (which we found to be excellent).

This time we decided to go shopping arround Westborne Road, Ledbury Road and Portabello Market. We chose a nearby Hotel, Portabello House Hotel. The website was well designed and the photos showed the hotel to be light, airy, pleasant and characterful - completely misleading!

I read a negative Trip Advisor Review which initially put me off, however the hotel manager wrote a lengthy reply to contradict the customers complaints. We decided that it must have been an unfair customer review and went ahead to make our booking.

When we arrived we found the following:

Slippy, greasy floor in the pub - I had a nasty fall and the staff smirked whilst my friend helped me to my feet!

We were informed we had been 'upgraded' -

The room was damp smelling

Depressing and very dark (purple and dark grey decor)

The room was freezing cold

There was thick dust all over the furniture

The horrendous repro four poster bed (almost as big as the entire room) had torn and freyed dark purple drapes hanging from it.

All the furniture in the room was complete 'tat' including the cheapest lamps, fittings and fixtures one could possibly buy.

We immediately rang reception and asked the receptionist to come to the room so that we could show her the faults we had found. She agreed with us on all of the above, but said the manager was not available.

We said we would leave our bags unpacked in the room and asked if whilst we were out could she please move us to a more suitable room.

When we returned, nothing had been done and the manager was still unavailable. We explained that we were dissatisfied with the room and we needed to speak with him urgently, but still no manager could be found.

I phoned my husband in Yorkshire who kindly phoned twenty alternative hotels, but at such short notice and with a major event on in London, we could not find alternative accommodation.

Other than sleeping on the street, my friend and I had no option but to stay where we were.

We had to get ready for our evening out in the dark, dimly lit, freezing cold room. We rang reception again requesting to see the manager, but he was still unavailable. We told the reception ins that we would not be paying the full price of £190 to stay in this dreadful place and she offered us £10 off our bill. We felt that this was unacceptable and again asked to see the manager, but he was STILL unavailable.

After a terrible nights sleep in our cold and smelly room, we could bear it no more and decided to check out without breakfast at 8am.

After another request to see the manager, he finally appeared. He was rude and arrogant, he talked over us, he did not pause to listen at all. He said the following:

This is London NOT Yorkshire!

I have already charged your credit card and there's nothing you can do

Do you know where you are, we have had pop stars staying here

My friend and I were astounded at how arrogant and unpleasant this man was.

We left as quickly as we could! We felt that our shopping trip had been ruined.

Please don't make the same mistake as us! Read ALL the reviews and stay somewhere nice instead!

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Otisisadog
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Travelodge Wembley
Hammersmith / Fulham
The Malt House
The Malt House
#29 of 577 in London

Been to Portobello House? Share your experiences!