“Brilliant hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Gateshead, United Kingdom
“Brilliant hotel”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We had a 3 day break in this lovely hotel. Could not fault it at all the room was sparkling clean and the food in the restraunt was superb!i would advise going early for breakfast as there was a big queue each day but that was the only downside. I would recommend this hotel to anyone

• Stayed October 2013
PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, November 3, 2013
salsadip

Thank you for the splendid feedback! Our utmost reward is to hear our guests satisfied and it is this kind of service you experienced that the team are always aiming to deliver. I have shared your comments with them already.

I hope you will come and stay with us again soon.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,095)
  • Arabic first
  • Serbian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed a weekend in London last weekend and stayed here at the Park Plaza County Hall. Excellent location for visits to the London Eye, London Dungeons, Buckingham Palace and Trafalgar Square.
When we checked in we were warmly welcomed by the reception staff, we were pleasantly surprised to find our room was ready at midday and quickly went up to have a nose and to dump our bags.
Our 8 year old daughter loved the fact that she had to check herself in and was given a goody bag with lots of colouring things, a yoyo and a origami frog to make.
When we went to our suite we were very happy, it was clean, very comfortable with lots of facilities. A great size shower, a lovely bath, a kitchenette - with microwave, great coffee machine etc... An iron and ironing board, a hair dryer - which was very good, two tv's, a lovely sofa and a great little dressing table too. Everything we needed for a weekend away was supplied, we also had great products in the bathroom - shampoo, conditioner, toothpaste, mouthwash etc....
The best thing we had in our room though had to be the fantastic view, we could see the Shard, Canary Wharf, The Oxo tower etc.... Simply beautiful.
Once we checked in we went down to the bar for a quick drink before we set off for the day, this was the only time we were a little disappointed.
The bar was lovely, as were the waiters and waitresses, however when my husband went to order a round of drinks the member of staff he ordered with wasn't very friendly and barely acknowledged him which was a shame because every other member of staff, from the cleaners, bellboy and doorman etc... Were extremely friendly.
Once we did get our drinks, some great non alcoholic cocktails that were delicious, we set off.
We hoped on one of the open top tour buses, that we caught just around the corner on Westminster Bridge and had a fabulous first day in London.
We were shattered when we returned to the hotel in the evening so we went to our room, made a hot chocolate and enjoyed the view once again and as soon as our heads hit the pillows we were fast asleep. We all had a great nights sleep.
I can't review the breakfast as we decided to head out early and grab something to eat once we were out.
We checked out of the hotel, again the staff were brilliant, and left our bags at the Plaza to collect again later.
We had another great, but very tiring day in London, and once we couldn't walk any further we returned to the hotel to collect out bags. Again quick, friendly and efficient service, got our bags, the doorman hailed a cab and we were back on our way to Euston.
On the whole we had a fabulous stay at the Park Plaza County Hall, we will definitely return again.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nattyb80
Nattyb80

Wow - what great feedback!!!

Thank you for such an encouraging review! I am so glad your visit was so comfortable and found us able to meet your family's every need and exceed your expectations. We are always aiming for this kind of feeling for our guests and the team and I are thoroughly chuffed to hear we have once again succeeded.

Great to hear too the little one had a fantastic time. Please come and visit again!

Reviewed October 31, 2013 via mobile

Arrived at 14:30 as our check in time was from 14:00, but room not ready (they were, apparently decorating it for our son's birthday) so offered us a complimentary drink in the bar. Bonus point.
Drinks were received and snacks ordered and all consumed gratefully. Bonus point number two.
An hour later and room still not available; point deduction.
Eventually get to room (1hour 10mins) to find "decorations" were 2 balloons stuck on the wall. Second point deduction; all square.
The bed was lovely, but sofa bed was hard as granite and the mechanism was in an awkward position for young kids to get in and out without catching it and getting scratched. Another points deduction on technicality for poor furniture.

Great view of The Shard and Waterloo station though.

Following day, checkout was fast and pain free, and the concierge service looked after our luggage whilst we enjoyed the city. Another bonus point.
All in all we loved it, but felt let down by a couple of simple issues. Could be 5 stars, but only getting 3 today.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Eastmidlandsmassive

Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to Park Plaza County Hall.

I am however disappointed to hear that this was not to your satisfaction overall, due to what you have described as 'simple issues'. I apologise unreservedly for the delay in checking into your room. We guarantee check-in from 2pm, and while I understand we were putting a kid's tray in your room, I find it unacceptable that you were able to gain access to your room so late.

With regards to the sofa bed, I regret too you found it uncomfortable for the kids. Should you stay with us again, please note that we can provide mattress toppers to ensure a more comfortable sleep. We are also very flexible in opening/closing sofa beds - we can close the sofa for you in the morning and open it in the evening to allow more free space for the children to play around.

I have shared your comments however with both our Front of House Manager and Executive Housekeeper and I can assure you your feedback is critical to us as it helps us improve the way we run our operations.

Once again, I do apologise for the inconvenience caused and hope to welcome you back to Park Plaza County Hall in the near future.

Diss, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2013

I found the check-in impersonal, the receptionist showing no humour or empathy. I was warned that I had been allocated a "disabled access" room, but not warned of the unusual lighting system which made it very difficult to turn on the main lights in the room. As a result of having to fumble around in the dark I fell over my own luggage. And whoever came up with the idea of a door opening outwards in such a narrow space? Any why were there no sockets at desk level on the only desk where work could take place. I had to scrabble around on the floor to plug the laptop in. The bed was comfortable enough, but Breakfast was a disaster. A long wait, and then part of the way through breakfast whilst I was at the "self-service buffet", my half finished tea, fruit juice etc., was taken away, even though my jacket was still on my chair. Luckily on check out I was not asked "did you enjoy your stay". I found the whole thing a miserable experience having flown in from India and Dubai where service was immaculate.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
PPCHLondon, Front Office Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, September 7, 2014
Thank you for review, all feedback is important to us and this is how we move our service forward.

We hope to have you visit us again in the future

Kind regards

Karen Lorimer
Bolton
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I have just got back after 3 nights with my wife and two boys (6 and 17 months). We booked this fairly last minute. We were lucky to find this hotel and we feel very lucky indeed as the accommodation was good but the location can only be described as superb. You can walk to Buckingham Palace in 20 minutes, Big Ben in 10 minutes, London Eye in 2 minutes, Covent Garden in 20 minutes and Trafalgar Square in 15. I could go on but we only used the bus to go to the tower of London. Who wants to spend their break on buses or in taxi's?

The hotel room was a good size. We had room 704 which was at the back of the hotel facing Waterloo station. I can honestly say we could not believe how quiet it was. The room was very dark and we didn't hear a thing from either outside or other hotel guests. Taking into account it is half term week that is very impressive.

The room itself was very well appointed with good air conditioning and a very good bathroom. The only compliant I could have is the fact the room door did not open fully as the sofa bed used by my son did stick out a little bit. Some people that may annoy - I am not that picky.

The TV in our bedroom stopped working and I reported it to the reception on our way out for the day. When we got back it was working but the bit I was most impressed with was that the receptionist called our room that evening to confirm it was working and to ask if everything else was okay. Very impressed.

The only reason I have not rated as excellent is the breakfast........ Admittedly it is half term week but the restraint is just nowhere near big enough. The queues were very long after 8:30 on Monday and Tuesday. In fairness to the hotel they opened up another restaurant on a different floor to host a children's Halloween themed breakfast to cater for families. Personally I want a relaxing breakfast so a themed children's breakfast we decided to pass. On morning 2 (Tuesday) we decided to eat outside of the hotel going to the Slug and Lettuce round the corner which was a much more civilised experience. However on our final morning it was okay and there was no real queues. In fairness to the hotel they are aware of it and do have sign to set expectations. What the alternative is I don't think they have one. If they could build a bigger restaurant I am sure they would. On balance at £13.50 per person and children eating free the only thing they could do is put the price up! For London it is very good value for what is a decent breakfast.

The staff are all superb. Very friendly and helpful. We will certainly go back again! Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Go high to get away from any potential road noise. However, with the triple glazing I am not sure ev...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Paul_Bolton

Thank you for the brilliant review! I am so pleased to see you had the most wonderful and comfortable stay.

Thank you too for recognising our team for the excellent work they do. We certainly invite you again at every opportunity to have fun and relax at Park Plaza County Hall.

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

This was our firts stay at the hotel, from the reservation, directions and service at the hotel first class. Room was amazingly clean and serviced daily. 2 mins walk from London eye, 5 mins to Big Ben and Trafalgar sq about 15 mins walk. Right next to Waterloo station or next to the hotel car parking available( £20 a day) U parking.
I really recommend this hotel if you are looking
For a small break in London.

PPCHLondon, Guest Relations Manager at Park Plaza County Hall London, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
davyjons_1977

Great to see you had an amazing stay! This is exactly the kind of experience we like our guests to have and I am so, so pleased to see you have gone away with such fond memories.

Please come back again for even longer :-)

Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

An excellent place to stay.

There is nothing to find fault with. The room was fantastic: clean and modern with fantastic views over the city. Great facilities too.

Reception and concierge staff were very polite and helpful - the packs for kids were an excellent touch, made my 8 year old feel very important.

We will return in 2014

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Deebee1234
Deebee1234

Thank you for the splendid feedback regarding our outstanding service and staff attitude. We love to indulge our guests, and try very hard to please the little ones too!

I am glad everything was just right for you and your family and look forward to seeing you again!