“Average at best ”

Ranked #1,969 of 23,771 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shoreditch
Reviewed August 28, 2019 via mobile

This restaurant has one Michlin star. It is rated number 36 on the list of the world best 50 restaurants. Decor is casual and basic which is fine. It is not unusual today for fine dining restaurants to have a casual atmosphere. However I have to admit that I found the place to be overrated. The food was average at best. Yes the ingredients were fresh but there was no creativity not taste in the dishes that we tried. They have one single tasting menu which is quite short. What really surprised me is that a member of our party did not like anchovies. Normally the restaurant would substitute that ingredient or the dish with something else. This occasion the restaurant completely ignored the course and did not provide any substitute nor an explanation. Quite a message to deliver for a fine dining restaurant.

1  Thank DrHabib
Write a reviewReviews (452)

Reviewed August 25, 2019 via mobile

As with others in these reviews we chose Lyles as it rated highly in the Worlds 50 best restaurants and as a result I think our expectations were very high, unfortunately we didn’t feel that the restaurant lived up to the hype. There are much better restaurants and I can only assume that this listing is very subjective. That said we enjoyed parts of the meal very much. The hake with whey butter and sea vegetables was excellent, perfectly cooked fish and a warming umami note from the butter, the guinea fowl also was a hit great flavour in both the leg and breast. The summer pudding was nice but not exceptional. The first course was very poor, we had high hopes as the ingredient list was the same as a spectacular dish that we had at The Ledbury earlier in the month (peaches, liver, beans and almonds) the direct comparison between the two was very telling. Where everything on The Ledbury plate was harmonious and perfectly executed this was a set of individual ingredients that did not gel, the raw beans were the major ingredient and overpowered everything else, the poor liver parfait was completely overwhelmed. We opted for the cheese course which was plonked unceremoniously down in front of us and upon enquiry we were told it was “goats cheese”, not particularly useful. The service generally lets down the restaurant, there did not seem to be much passion in the food coming from the servers, which seems so surprising for a restaurant that prides itself on sourcing and ingredients. We had a selection of wines to pair with each course but regretted not ordering a bottle as none of the wine was particularly good. Overall this is a good restaurant but not the exceptional experience we had anticipated, if this was local to us we would definitely return regularly as the cooking is good and at a reasonable price point, or we would try again if in the area but we would not make a special trip across the city just to eat here as there are so many other good options in London.

3  Thank WendyB976
Reviewed August 23, 2019 via mobile

Went here after seeing it on the World’s 50 Best list. The food was fantastic despite the set menu - I’ll admit to having reservations about that as there’s a lot I don’t like, but their prep and service timing is excellent. There were some serious drawbacks though.
A dining experience should be multi sensory. Here, half your table is looking at a bus stop with people either staring in watching you eat or you watch drunken people make out. It was beyond distracting.
If you don’t drink wine, there’s one Scotch. And not a good one.
I wish I had known the dress code was slob - literally two guys last night were wearing stained T-shirts - because in a suit I was vastly overdressed.
The food concept and execution were exceptional it the atmosphere destroyed the night. We were both amazingly uncomfortable. Sorry Lyles.

1  Thank BklynJT59
Reviewed August 19, 2019

Visited on a Friday evening for date-night dinner after seeing the restaurant on the World's 50 Best Restaurants. I had the fish menu whilst my boyfriend had the meat menu. Regretfully, the pork was a bit fatty, however, my smoked eel was very delicious! The evening was made by the impeccable service and all of the little extras that were bought to us such as after dinner biscuits and appetizers. Would perhaps suggest that the restaurant changes the corn on the cob appetizer - whilst very tasty it got all stuck in my teeth.... not attractive!

Reviewed August 14, 2019 via mobile

This review is written with genuine desire to give feedback to help your restaurant. Excellent food (5 stars) but I think the B team were on for service on this weekday night. Cracked and chipped plates laughed off by the waiter “they are clean”. Meals were placed down without cutlery at the adjacent table - woops! I had booked the Vegetarian option for the two of us via their website but they had no knowledge of this. Why have the option on your website? After explaining we had booked the Vegetarian option somehow we ended up with one vegetarian meal and one standard meal. A lot of “missed in translation” I suppose as we speak Australian. I think the staff are too busy to properly listen. I suggest the waiting staff take a trip to Adams in Birmingham and see what real award winning service is. Same prices but a world of difference. The food was faultless - congratulations to the kitchen.