“Good hotel for a tourist”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Metro Hotel

Metro Hotel
Ranked #964 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Chennai (Madras), India
“Good hotel for a tourist”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Metro hotel very well matched my requirements, the requirements of a sightseeing tourist – Close proximity to a well connected train station (Paddington in this case), decent ambience, courteous and friendly staff making the stay a pleasant experience, clean rooms and bed, sumptuous, packed and sealed breakfast with the flexibility of availing the food the previous night enabling a quick getaway in the morning and to top it all a budget tariff that gave value for money. The small bathroom and staircase without lift were a bit difficult, but were not significant since anyway the tourist is out all day.

Room Tip: Room at back side quieter, sunny though one may lose viewing the street in front. Rooms at first flo...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Very Nice Hotel,
small rooms, very nice Service.
Ideal to spend the night when you visit London for sightseeing or business.

Breakfast is not very tasty, but practial because everything is packed and sealed.
So you can easily grab it and take it on your day out in London.

No Lift and lots of stairs, but water heater in every room.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Taipei
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2013

Due to late booking issues, I did not have much of a choice when I was searching for hotels/B and Bs around Paddington station. I was able to book a room with shared bathroom at the last minute. Before booking, I had checked out the reviews on tripadvisor, and found that although there were bad reviews, there were also many who recommend it. How wrong could I be. If there was a choice to give zero on rating for this hotel I would.
I checked into the hotel with no problem. Upon entering the room, it was as the pictures showed, small, dingy, but also quite dusty although they seemed to vaccum the rooms right after someone checks out. What was dusty was the bed covers and the carpets were really dirty too. There was complimentary tea packets, sugar and a mug for you. The lights were yellow and dim at night. The hotel said there was Free WIFI... how wrong about that as well. The WIFI worked great if you were at the reception or at the stairs, however, it was EXTREMELY difficult to get connected inside the rooms, or it was impossible to get connected at all. I got so frustrated that I had to take my laptop and sit on the stairs just for a good connection.
There were two bathrooms if you had a shared bathroom, one on the second floor and one on the top floor. The one on the second floor had a really sharp acid-like paint smell and you get dizzy if you stayed in there for too long. What confused me was why the bathroom was locked around 10 pm at night, and I could only use the one on the top floor. On the first night I stayed there, I got up in the middle of the night for a bathroom break, and lord and behold, a half-dressed man was laying in there. I got quite a scare as I thought someone had passed out there. But then, he got up and mumbled something like he got locked out of his room.. bla bla bla, i just quickly used the bathroom and left. However, I noticed that all of his things were in the bathroom, his suit, suitcase, and everything. IT DIDN'T LOOK LIKE HE STAYED IN THE HOTEL, in fact it was more like he snuck into the hotel in the middle of the night TRYING TO GET SOME SLEEP!!! It was absolutely UNBELIEVABLE!
NOW, there is some serious problem with security AND I DO NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO STAY HERE!!!!!!
All residents of the hotel have a key to the front door, but it was an old lock, and I am sure someone can easily pick it open.
I have NEVER experienced anything like this. and if you are someone looking for a good night's sleep with assured security, please DON'T EVEN consider this hotel. Oh, and the breakfast that they advertise, it's just like the one shown in the tripadvisor pictures, just a whole lot of candy bars, a really hard bread, yoghurt, and some snacks.
Once again... only stay here if this is your last chance, and TRY to book somewhere else as this place is rundown and the security is questionable.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank fleurbean

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

Definitely not for everybody but can work if you understand what you're getting. For me, I was on a very tight budget and I needed to be as close as possible to Paddington Station for the three nights I spent in London. The Metro Hotel is probably about the best you'll do on both of those counts.

The room was very small but that didn't bother me as all I wanted was a place to sleep and shower. On the first night I discovered that the in room safe was locked. The gentleman at the desk was very apologetic and made good on his promise to get someone to fix it. The room wasn't very clean, but the shared bathrooms were. The mattress on the bed felt as if it had broken springs in it so that I was always rolling off to one side. No problems accessing the toilets or showers when I wanted to despite having to share with others. Found the water pressure to be quite good and as much hot water as I wanted. Some noise from the room next door came through but it wasn't a huge problem as I was fortunate to have respectful neighbors during my stay. Breakfast is delivered to your room in the morning. It's basically six kinds of prepackaged sugar, but it will stop your stomach growling. If you plan to go out very early, you can have the tray delivered the evening before -- nothing on it will spoil overnight.

Surprisingly, I didn't have any issues with street noise. Certainly I could hear vehicles going by, but I had expected sirens, horns, and other noise from the construction site nearby. That wasn't the case.

A bit about the staff: I saw three people during my stay there, two young men and one young woman. All were friendly and helpful.

Would I stay there again? I think I might if I needed to save money and only wanted a place to flop. This certainly isn't the kind of place you would enjoy just sitting around and relaxing in. While I have no problem negotiating multiple flights of stairs, those with mobility issues probably want to look elsewhere. The Metro Hotel is good for what it is, but you need to go in with a realistic understanding of what you're getting.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank LM606
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed here for six nights with three friends and overall we enjoyed our time at Metro Hotel. It's location right near Paddington train station which was a massive plus for us, as we could catch a tube to anywhere in London with extreme ease. There are also a number of shops, pubs and restaurants nearby.

The rooms themselves are up at least one decent sized flight of stairs (we were up about four or so flights which didn't bother us, but those less mobile might struggle). We had a four person room and some would consider it small but for the price, we were happy enough. It fit all of our luggage etc with reasonable ease. We had an ensuite which was cosy but had nice shower and toilet. During our stay we had a slight smell from the bathroom, but after we told the hotel staff about this, they had it fixed and back to normal in no time at all.

There was a TV and small fridge in our room so we could keep drinks and food cold. Due to centralised heating to rooms did get a little warm at night with the covers on but that was fixed easy enough (covers off).

They provide breakfast which consists of a massive carb load. Cakes, bread, biscuits, croissants etc are provided. We ate it the first day but then it got a bit much. However be smart as we did and use the items provided as snacks and the such throughout the day. It definitely saves you going out and buying little snacks.

The staff were very friendly and helped us with any enquiries we had. Overall we enjoyed the stay and due to the value for its price and great location, I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Those with mobility problems should ask for a room on lower floor
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bron, Rhone-Alpes, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

Went in the Metro Hotel in February 2013 with three friends (4 nights stay). So yes, this is not the hilton, it's a minimal service, but you have what you pay for. And for the price I was surprised, especially having read comments of people who had a bad time there. It wasn't our case. The room was good, beds also. Fridge in the room, toilets and shower in a tiny space but it was okay.

I would recommend the hotel for a short stay + small budget.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

We booked & paid for 4 nights at this centrally located hotel. When we arrived back at the hotel on the 3rd nignt we were told we had to change rooms the following morning. We packed our suitcases and went on a day trip to Oxford arriving back about 9pm. When we asked which room we were in we were told we were at another hotel. The young man on the desk was very apologetic & guided & helped us to another hotel then proceded to show us our room - up 6 flights of narrow stairs. We are in our seventies, one with a heart condition, so consider we were put into a situation which could have caused serious consequences.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple