“Excellent value for money”
Review of London City Hotel

London City Hotel
Ranked #251 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 26, 2010

Do not be put off by first impressions of this small hotel, I was rather concerned when I first arrived but was very pleasantly surprised when I saw my room, it was small but very comfortable and immaculately clean. The bed was lovely, as was the feather duvet and extremely large fluffy towels.
This would not be suitable for anyone who struggles with stairs, I was on the top (3rd) floor and there is no lift due to the design of the building. I would like to have had a plug socket near a mirror (maybe just a girl thing) and did find it a little noisy but no more so than a travel lodge and not enough to stop me staying again if I need accommodation in this area.
The breakfast was lovely, served in the cafe below the hotel, a great menu choice and nicely cooked to order.
All in all I think this little hotel is a bit of a gem with very helpful and pleasant staff who are willing to make the effort to ensure people are happy and comfotable during their stay.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank LinNotts

Reviewed January 27, 2010

When I saw the exact location of this hotel I must admit my jaw dropped. It looked like one of those English language schools above a disused shop. However, once inside I was very pleasantly surprised. The room was very clean and although overlooking the main road not at all noisy. The staff were very polite and helpful. Although I didn't have an en suite room, the toilet and shower were very close by (although could have done with a door sign!)

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Busybee1965
Reviewed December 27, 2009

I stayed here for two nights just before Christmas (22/23) as I was working only three minute's walk away. The double room with ensuite was perfect for my needs - warm, very comfortable bed, good shower, spotless throughout and (important to me) at the back of the hotel so the only noise was a deep rumble from the Northern Line below. But even this was advatageous as it is only six stops to Kings Cross. £100 per night in London seems good value for all these conveniences. Breakfast is provided (£8 - £10) but I didn't sample it. I shall certainly stay there again if I am in the area. Waysidemen. (York)

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank waysidemen
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Stayed in the coverted council flat (aka apartment). Needed a "ladder" to get in and out of bath tub. No soap. Pixellated 12" TV. No air conditioning. Would be OK in winter with the heat coming through neighbours wall and through water storage heater in hall requiring windows to be kept open all night and door during day. Curtains falling off. Kitchen drawers with no handles. Access to other part of unit locked off - why??
In general lack of detail however staff in the "hotel" in the main street friendly and nice. Unit cleaned and serviced daily ! Close to amenities and can easily walk to town! Pub meals in area very good.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank HuahinCharlie
Reviewed August 27, 2009

Stayed there for 2 nights. Nice and clean rooms, friendly staff. Close to the station. We will go back on our next trip.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
An Agoda Traveler
Reviewed August 25, 2009

• Stayed: August 2009
Reviewed July 3, 2009

I stayed here when I was in London for business and I was very happy with it. Itmight not look so great outside but inside it's well appointed, I had an ensuite, tv and radio and it's clean as a whistle. As I had a room at the back, it was quiet too. If you ook breafast it's served ithe little Italian cafe below, which is good value and has pleasant and efficient service. Soutwark is a great part of London to stay ith a good city vibe, Borough Maeket and the Cathedral near by, good range of restaurants and about 15 minutes to the Tate, Millenium Bridge etc. Previously I've stayed in big, anonymous London hotels but in future, I'll stay here.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business