“Small but good”
Review of London City Hotel

London City Hotel
Ranked #216 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We stayed at the hotel during the past week. The rooms are quite small for our taste but overall okay. The service is top notch, one of the best I've had, as all the people are warm and friendly, especially Anna who made a special effort in making our vacation the best.

The hotel begins a refurnishing progress soon and if the rooms would be better (or larger) we would definitely want to stay there again.

Room Tip: They have a one double bed larger room. Get it if you can.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1948john, Guest Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Dear Shirley,

Thank you very much for leaving a review and it is really good to know that you felt welcome. It is very important to know that guests feel welcome and Anna will be thrilled to have got a special mention.

We hope that you come back to stay with us again to see our refurbishments as they take place.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I stayed one night here but only because there were no other free rooms in the area. The room I was given was a standard single on the top floor. The room was clean and comfortable, rather like a student room however. The bathroom was separate and it appears there was only one bathroom for 6 rooms on the top floor - tough to get a shower on time if you are in a rush. The night was unusually warm and the room had no air con so was uncomfortably warm, granted not a problem on most nights in London. The hotel is average, good for the money as it is cheaper than other hotels and well located but still a lot of money for a single room with no en suite bathroom.

Room Tip: I think there are rooms with en suite so check before you book.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank LondonUKTraveller
1948john, Guest Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.

Just to let you know that we do have a range of rooms from single ensuite to double ensuite.

Our single non ensuite which is what we had available at the time of your booking only shares a bathroom with one other room on that floor. The other rooms you are referring to on that floor would have been ensuite.

Thank you for staying with us and we hope you come back to stay in some of our other rooms when we have the availability for you to choose a double or single ensuite. As we are a small hotel booking ahead is adviseable if you can.

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just back from a 1 night break in London while we went to a show. Stayed in this hotel, I had read the reviews and I was a little concerned but this turned out to be unfounded.
The hotel takes a little finding, basically out of borough tube station, next building on the left.
We were staying in room 9, I can't comment on the rest of the hotel but our room was clean, relatively spacious, comfortable bed and a pleasant ensuite. The staff in the hotel were really friendly.
Location wise, about a 5-10 minute walk to London bridge, on the way you have to pass Borough Market, great place to grab some street food (every variety)
Would definitely stay in this hotel again.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nige29W

Dear Nige,

Thank you very much for your review. It is great to know that you enjoyed your stay and it met all your expectations.

Just a little adjustment to your directions, we are the first building on your right when you exit Borough tube Station, not left.

We are about to launch booking online directly from our website, which will make it easier for your next booking. Of course we are just on the end of the phone if you'd rather call. Thank you and really look forward to you staying with us again.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

External first impressions were not brilliant, however inside the accommodation was clean and tidy. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful, especially when it came to places to eat/drink. Very close to bus and underground station. Lovely breakfast in the cafe under the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1948john, Public Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for writing a review for our hotel. Thanks very much for the feedback on our entrance. We really value feedback from our guests and are always looking at ways we can improve our hotel. The entrance is an area we are working on, having already started to improve signage, with more plans to follow. We hope you come back to stay with us again and see the changes we make.

If you have the time then I'd appreciate it if you could leave a review for our cafe too. I have just launched it today! http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g186338-d4480744-Reviews-Cafe_Riva-London_England.html

Reviewed July 5, 2013

We found on Booking and TripAdvisor. Room was newer, very clean, smelled nice, comfortable bed & pillows, AC and yes, it was small. But what do you expect! We had Room C with ensuite and stayed 6 nights. It was situated next door to their main hotel and down the hallway from Cafe Riva. Staff very helpful & friendly. It was great location, in the Southwark next door to Borough Tube and bus stops all around. Did have some problems with electrical, couldn't run my flat iron and back massager even though we had adapter-converter and mirror light in bathroom wouldn't come on. Said would be checking the electrical after we left as this is a new section. Breakfast at Cafe Riva was very good. I chose scrambled egg, bacon, potatoes, tomatoes, toast for £6 pounds. In the neighborhood, is Borough Market, best time is Thursday-Sat, lots of vendors and small restaurant & bakery stalls. Up the road on Borough High Street is London Bridge, Thames River, London Eye, and more restaurants. One of my favorites is Nando's, walk South a few blocks on Borough High Street towards Elephant & Castle, you won't regret it, especially if you like spicy! I ordered the Peri Peri Breast Chicken twice, my husband ordered the wings. I wish we had one in Arizona because I'm sure going to miss it. Would I stay here again? You bet but will check to make sure the electrical issue is corrected.

Room Tip: Room C ensuite with AC
1  Thank aznative6
1948john, Guest Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for writing a review and we are really pleased that you had a positive experience of both the hotel facilities, staff and the location.

I am very sorry that we were not able to resolve the electrical issues you experienced. Thank you for understanding that with all new refurbishments there are sometimes small issues which need resolving. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we have already been able to ensure maintenance is carried out and the problem is resolved.

Hope your journey back home went well and you can track down some spicy chicken wings in Arizona!

Reviewed July 4, 2013

I missed it three times but eventually saw it about a south London Cafe on Borough high street.
It was tiny and the steep stairs looked threadbare.I could not believe that I had booked a night here for over £120!!!
But reception was nice and when she showed me the room it was nicely furnished but so small-including the en-suite about 10x10.
But I had luggage which took up the small floor space available as there were No wardrobes,soon I was feeling claustrophobic.Everything was extra-parking,wi-fi and breakfast.
The best thing I can say is there marketing and photos are misleading.Do not stay unless you like a very overpriced prison.
But It was my daughter's graduation as a Doctor in Southwick Cathedral.
I found my wife found a real hotel for £120 (2 people)even shorter walk and good facilities

Room Tip: Do not do unless you are very small
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank ronwparker

Dear Ron,

I am really sorry to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations in terms of facilities but it is good to know that you felt welcomed by Reception. On your arrival we empathised with the difficulties you had experienced before your arrival at the airport and luggage issues. We all know how it feels to be lost and late for an appointment too, especially one as important as your Daughter's graduation.

I'm sorry you could not find the hotel easily as it is literally right next door to the tube station. Perhaps harder to find if you are in a car rather than travelling by tube. On the issue of charges; we offer car parking facilities to our guests to make things easier for them. This is an optional extra charged below the averaged rate if choosing on street or multi storey car parks. It is not possible to park in central london without paying.

We do have room rates which include breakfast and wifi but these tend to be for longer stays.

Thank you for bringing to our attention your views about the carpet. We are always looking at ways to improve our accommodation and value customer opinions as this helps us to shape our plans for the future.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Does what it says on the tin – it’s a good room right in the middle of Southwark (come out of Borough tube, next door on your right). Clean rooms, attentive reception. Prices reasonable for central London too. Can’t say anymore than that for just one nights stay but I have no criticism on it personally.

However I saw no access to any of the rooms for those less able – there are a lot of narrow and steep stairs (not saying there wasn't any, I just didn't take it in).

Easy to book either direct or through booking.com. Similar in some respects to a Premier Inn, I’d describe it as “no frills, but professional”.

I think I'll stay in this area again in future - it's a vibrant place to go and there are plenty of good pubs & eateries in the area.

Room Tip: I had a room at the back so there was no road noise
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Brother_Cadfael
1948john, Guest Relations Manager at London City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thanks for your review and for staying with us at London City Hotel.

Really pleased to hear that the location worked for you. It is an incredibly central location, next to the tube station with plenty of sights for tourists and access to the city for business visitors.

As you mentioned it in your review, I will take this opportunity to say that we have ground floor access, since opening up four new rooms.

Hope to see you again.