“Comfortable and clean, unbeatable location and price!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Hyde Park Rooms Hotel
Ranked #249 of 558 London B&B and Inns
Waterloo, Canada
“Comfortable and clean, unbeatable location and price!”
Reviewed June 13, 2011

I stayed here for about 7 days in April, to do some sightseeing in London by myself after a business trip. I stayed in a room on the top floor, one without an en suite bathroom.

Overall this place is great for someone looking for a cheap place to stay while they do some sight seeing in London.

The room was big enough, clean, and the bed very comfortable,. It had a nice view of the street below, and sink in the room as well. There was also a TV in the room with a few channels. The breakfast included was delicious, with tea or coffee, OJ, toast, eggs, and bacon. For being complimentary, I was very impressed. There was 1 shower to share, but a number of bathrooms available. I didn't have too much trouble getting the shower but I usually planned to do it at night. If you plan to use it in the morning, you might have to wait.

The location of this place is amazing. Just a few minutes walk from hyde park and paddington station, from which you can get anywhere in the city. Also, a number of pubs and restaurants in the area. Area seemed safe at night and I never ran into any problems.

Staff was friendly and helpful! Thanks Carole!

Just 1 complaint really - the wireless internet was terrible, and only worked about 10% of the time. I ended up going to an internet cafe most of the time. I think they were working on fixing this problem.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank RyanD36

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tampere, Finland
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Hotel was like we expected, room was big and clean. Location was excellent. We really liked the owner, who made us felt like coming home :) We will definitely visit again! Great value for money!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank veeeve
Doonside, South Africa
Reviewed May 24, 2011

We were asked to pay up front for the whole stay - got a receipt on a piece of paper - the room had no hospitality tray, no kettle, no glasses or cups at all, no hairdrier. Was not cleaned once in 5 days (the dust proved it, plus I dropped bits of tissue on the carpet to check) Eventually got cups, bought our own coffee, milk and sugar. Cups not washed once. I washed them in the basin every evening. Bed not remade properly once. Found a tissue halfway down the bed from the night before. Twice we had no bath mat - once had no toilet paper, towels or bathmat, and had no plug in the basin. The "full English breakfast" advertised was a choice of 2 cereals - cornflakes or bran - one fried egg, fried both sides, and 2 pieces of bacon, toast and tea or coffee. After 3 weeks of PERFECT B&B's in Carlisle, Fort Augustus, Isle of Skye and Harlech in Wales, our trip ended with this. No fond memories of London!!!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Linda F
Israel
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I stayed there for a week this past April and am overall pleased with my stay. The hotel delivers what it advertises on its website: terrific location, decent rooms, clean toilets and showers and a nice breakfast to start the day with. The owner, Carol, is never lost for words, and I think the review that mentioned rude comments by her stem from this fact. I didn't have much contact with her save the usual daily greetings and depositing of items in the hotel safe, and she was obliging at all occasions, as well as inquiring about my stay and whether all was well. I think she simply has an old-school British hotelier's sense of humor and attitude, which might come across as too bold or outspoken for some people. She was definitely not rude.
Breakfast is a pretty modest affair compared with other hotels. Bacon & eggs are served to the table rather than kept in trays for guests to help themselves. Together with bread, jam, tea and cornflakes it was enough to get me going.
A note about the rooms – they're rather small! And the hotel has loads of stairs and winding staircases too. The décor is very basic and sometime just a tad too cheap; hardly any hangers in my room and naturally no wardrobe (it was the smallest attic room imaginable, but it was just big enough); and yes, it is somewhat shabby and worn-out in certain respects, but it's clean and the beds were made out every day. The shared facilities were always clean and there was a very good shower in one of the bathrooms.
Overall, I'd say this hotel is a very good bargain. I paid 45 pounds a night for a single, shared-facilities room, which was the cheapest room I found that was not in a youth hostel! Keep what I wrote in mind and if you do decide to book here I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Room Tip: Room 14, top floor, very good for single travelers
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Lior667
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed March 5, 2011

I booked this Bed and Breakfast because of the reviews on this website. I was not disappointed! The location is super, only a 5 minute walk to Paddington and a 7 minute walk to Lancaster Gate, giving you five tubelines to choose from!
The room had a nice double bed, two pairs of sheets (so you can't get cold!), a window that could open, a television (with about five channels), wi-fi internet and a small ensuite bathroom. In the morning there was a small but nice breakfast (8-9.30am): two types of cereal, milk, orange juice, toast, jelly, bacon and eggs and of course coffee and tea.
On the last day you have to leave the room before 11am, but you can leave your bags. This way I could still do some sightseeing in the morning, while flying back home in the afternoon.
Definitely a good value for money!

• Stayed February 2011
5 Thank ElisavetaNL
Reviewed February 27, 2011

Hyde Park Rooms hotel seemed like a nice place to stay when I visited their website and read the description. And it was even better than expected. Friendly owner, service w/ a smile. Personal. Good room in a nice Victorian style building, with an en-suite bathroom + toilet. Lovely breakfast included (served till 9.30). Great value for money. And (not unimportant) a top notch location: in a nice neighborhood at a walking distance from Paddington & Lancaster Gate, which makes it really, really easy to get around town. I'd definitely stay here again. Kind regards from the Netherlands. -Arjan

• Stayed February 2011
2 Thank ihearttheweakerthans
Hedmark
Reviewed December 12, 2010

When I'm in London I need one thing; a bed. I would like the bed to have real bedding, not just a sheet and a blanket, and that is soft enough not to damage my already hopeless back. I also want there to be a bathroom in working order in my room, but most of all: LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION! Paddington station has 4 tube lines, trains to everywhere and Heathrow Express (and Connect, a cheaper version that takes 10 minutes longer).

Never tried the breakfast, I'm no morning person, and since this place has the best best beds I've slept in in any hotel it's easy to sleep in.

I will never stay anywhere else in London as long as Hyde Park Rooms Hotel is open for business. If it ever goes away I will find somewhere else to stay in Sussex Gardens, a real hotel street.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple