“Never again”

Hyde Park Suites Serviced Apartments
Ranked #582 of 896 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed on our way through London recently and this was hands down the worst accommodation in a trip of several months.

First the good - the location is excellent, close to Paddington station and an easy walk to Hyde park. The sheets and towels were clean.

Now, sadly, for the not so good..... Our apartment was down a dark, dilapidated hallway with security lights which worked only part of the time. The main door from the street was broken so anyone could just walk in off the street. This was still not fixed when we left several days later. Beware also -reception is several miles from some apartments and we had to catch an expensive taxi to pick up the key. The staff were cold and completely indifferent and did nothing at all to make us feel welcome.

The apartment itself was small, dark, mouldy in parts and had a smell of something recently deceased wafting out of the drains. We were also woken several times by rats scuttling around in the ceilings at night.

Taking into account all of the above, we thought value for money was very poor and would much rather have found a decent hostel. Presumably with the location the managers think regardless of the quality or service people will come..... Don't let it be you!

Room Tip: Don't do it! Find somewhere else!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Juliet S
There are newer reviews for Hyde Park Suites Serviced Apartments

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Our stay at Hyde Park Suites was a gift from friends and it was very comfortable. In a good location. Really nice when travelling with four kiddies to have the kitchen. Reception staff were also very friendly and helpful. We requested extra bedding and it was brought straight away. Would recommend.

Room Tip: We were in the basement so there was a few stairs.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I am sorry to say that I would not recommend this to anybody. The rooms was not nice and the bathroom was tiny. We stayed there for 5 nights and not once they come to clean or take the garbage. And towels and bedlinen were not changed. And the extra ed we had was an extremely uncomfortalbel fold out bed.I will not stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank IOH2013
Reviewed July 12, 2013

we booked via British Airways website so expected it to be of a reasonably good standard. Checked in at 55 Inverness Terrace and knew we would probably be next door. In fact it was 12 doors away but same street so seemed ok. we were on 4th floor and we are fit so be prepared for a fitness test if you are not ready for it, even we were breathless with luggage!! The 'studio' seemed fine, i would rename it a bedsit, ie a bed with a TINY kitchen all in one, but did have it's own shower room. It seemed clean to us but we didn't plan on using utensils. It happened to be the heatwave in London and our flat was number 18 in house number 30 on this terrace..totally stifling hot, no fan or A/C and it was high enough to leave the windows open but after midnight when all the other neighbours needed to party and smoke the noise was unbelievable. So windows could not be closed due to the heat. My positive comment is, it would be lovely and warm in winter...though actually i didn't notice any heating, so be warned..

Room Tip: book a different place to stay..really...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 5, 2013

We have stayed in some small and perhaps questionable places but never worse than Hyde Park Suites. This was for several reasons and I will try and list just some. Our group booked 4 rooms for 13 people and we knew that UK rooms are small and expensive but this was surprise. And some of the reviews say that it was a good value, but not for us. Unfortunately, we were there during Wimbledon week and the cost was outrageous!
- If you book rooms with listed sofa beds or extra beds, be aware that these will be incredibly uncomfortable fold-out futons/sofabeds. In one room, you couldn’t actually fold both beds out because there wasn’t enough space to do so. In the triple, when you unfolded the sofa bed, there wasn’t any room to walk around the room. The first night, the hotel provided a nasty folded rollaway that looked like it had never ever been cleaned. We couldn’t bear to use it.
- There was no shelf space in some of the rooms. We ended up clearing the kitchen cabinets to use as shelves for our clothing. There was one large cupboard that couldn’t be used because there was a water heater in it that radiated heat.
- The bathrooms are miniscule and poorly maintained. We had to open the door and exit the bathroom to dry off and dress. In one room, the heating towel rack couldn’t be turned off, constantly radiating heat. In the other rooms, the racks couldn’t be turned on. My daughter scratched herself on a nail sticking out of the shower wall. We have no idea why it was there.
- If you have trouble with stairs, be forewarned that it can be quite a haul to the upper floors. However the lower floor rooms are like dungeons with no light.
- One of the rooms had a large crack in the ceiling with obvious water damage. They finally moved us when we were being dripped on. This was a first floor room with two floors above it, so we don’t even want to think about where the water was coming from.
- One of our kids got trapped in a room when the lock broke on the inside. She was by herself and couldn’t get out. Luckily when our group was wondering what was taking her so long and went up to check, she was able to slide a key under the door so we could get her out by using the key from the outside.
- If you arrive early or late, be aware that the front desk is only open from 9am to 5pm. We saw one couple who arrived at the hotel at 6am and had to wait outside until someone showed up.
- We thought about doing laundry one day but the other guest who was already there warned us that the machines might be broken because her wash had already been going in the washer for about 3 hours.
- To be fair, they did send someone to fix the worst of the problems (although I doubt they fixed the leak because we saw them patching it up the afternoon that we moved out of the room), but the front desk staff was less than friendly. I guess they don’t have to be nice when you have prepaid for your room.
- The location was good with great access to the Underground but that is unfortunately the best I can say about the place.
All in all, the best thing we could say about the Hyde Park Suites is that it will provide us with laughs and stories for years to come. If you read the reviews, you will notice that they seem to differ greatly depending on how many people are in a room and which rooms people got. Of the four rooms we booked, two were acceptable if not pleasant and two were totally unacceptable and had to be changed. Hyde Park Suites actually owns and operates 3 or 4 buildings on the block. Your experience will greatly depend on which units you get but the overall management is shoddy and they obviously care about the income and not the guest experience at all. Everything is done as cheaply as possible.

Room Tip: Check your room before hauling your luggage in!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank fromsfca
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I am writing regarding the hygiene standards in an accommodationI stayed in the area of Westminster from the 12-17th of May 2013. The accommodation name was "Hyde Park Suites" and the flat I stayed at was in Talbot 9 Square, Room 7. Although the room looked clean, unfortunately I didnt know what was about to come. I went to bed and around 2.30 am (13/05/2013), I woke up from strong noises in the flat, screams and also heard the trash bag being moved. I turn the light on and saw 3 rats running around the apartment; 2 of the run away and one was stuck in the trash bag so I had the chance to take several pictures which I have attached in this email.
I phoned the receptionist and asked for the maintenance to come and clean the apartment/ remove the rats. Her response was rude and she replied to me "either I am going to change you flat or you are going to stay there and in the morning we will take care of this, as the maintenance guy does not work nights". It was very difficult for me to pack 3am, as at 8 I had an exam at Imperial College (where I am studying, as this was the reason I initially visited the Uk for a week). The receptionist left me no other solution, that to pack my luggage and move flats. I packed in a flat were a rat was in my trash moving, and when I was ready I waited for the person (Abdullah) who would bring me the key to the new flat for 20'. He arrived 3.30am.
I moved to the new flat and the next day around 8 pm I went by the reception to discuss this matter with the manager (Mohammed Mosawi). The Chairman (Fadil Mosawi) also was present. They were apologetic initially and then wanted to make arrangements so that I would not take legal actions. They offered me 1 extra night and a 194.00 pound partial refund (2 nights). They denied any similar event in their flat and promised to bring the Pesticide company in the new flat I was moved to make sure nothing would appear again. We shook hands, he took my card details and I retured to my flat.
The same night, around 12, I went to wash to dishes, and when I opened cupboard I saw 2 rats running away from the trash bag into a small hole. I called the manager immediately and he said he would sent someone to deal with this. The guy that came (Abdullah) 30' later (12.30am) wasto the person responsible for dealing with pests, he was just an emergency person for the hotel. Anyway, he came, opened the cupboard, there were no rats and after he kicked really hard the cupboard he said to me " dont worry, they are scared now, they wotn come back. Get some rest and in the morning we will take care of this". Then he left. Until Friday I was trying to reach the manager to discuss this matter but he was not picking up the phone, so Friday evening before my flight I decided to go by the office to meet him in person. He was rude when I met him, denied seeing any of my calls, said he didnt beleive that the second flat (flat 10) had rats, as I didnt manage to take any pictures and said to me in the extact words " I spoke with the Chairman and he is no longer agreeing to pay the partial refund of 194.00 pounds". After having found 3 rats in one of the apartments running around my luggage which was on the floor and my shoes and bags and 2 in the other apartment!!! He shouted at me "Go take legal actions" and went I said to him that they do not manage good customer service as I am leaving dissapointed he replied " I dont care. Just leave the hotel". Lastly when I said to him, "what did we agree on Monday?" he denied to repeat the discusion we had as he thought I would record him. The way he raised his voice, the wording he used and his overall reaction was threatening and as I was alone with a friend in a basement office we decided to leave.
I have been travelling to London for the past 5 years, it was the worst experience of hotel accommodation, customer service and hygiene standards. The managers, owners and the Chairman are people without manners, untrustworthy, rude, aggressive, careless, irresponsible and unkind!!!!
It is a shame for the council of Westminster to allow accommodation of such bad quality to remain open and offer this kind of sevice to tourists and customers in general! I need to also say, that on Friday while I was arguing with Mohamed Mosawi I told him I would knock on every single apartement and tell its guests that there are rats in the hotel and he threatened me that if I do this no one will believe me that he would take legal actions.This is not the kind of image that Uk wants to promote to Europe...
It is a filthy organization that is still open through threatening people and masking its poor quality with every way they can!
Please perform investigations to this organisation.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
8  Thank chrstnkndl
Reviewed May 26, 2013

I stayed here back in November 2012 and I have to say I would highly recommed them. I got a top floor studio with wonderful wifi and it was so close to everything. 10min to local shops, underground and everything. Great kitchen facilities and the staff was lovely. I will defo be back here again.

Plece was so clean and I arrived early and was able to check in straigh away.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo