“Fine....up to a point”

Ranked #552 of 853 Specialty Lodging in London
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
“Fine....up to a point”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

First - location and WiFi are great; that's it.

Second, make sure you do not get a basement 'apartment'; ours was in 34 Inverness Terrace (no. 2) and was right beside the maintenance shed. Thus, no privacy at all - we had to keep the windowblinds drawn all the time. Television did not work properly either [apparently you need to manipulate two remotes..............].

It seems to me that this is an enterprise out to make a fast buck on a quick turnover (no daily maid service). The facade is fine, the shower was great and the room was big enough, but the 'executive' veneer is just that, a veneer.

With a little more care and supervision, this could be an excellent business. As it is, they will get very little repeat custom - certainly not mine.

Room Tip: Do not be fobbed off with the basement!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Actually, I had booked a room at the Hyde Park Suites, but got "upgraded" (after much insisting), as we were given a room with a double bed and not the two separate beds I paid for. This all seems pretty simple and fast, but it took a couple of hours and several visits to the reception (which is in a different building) and to both rooms involved, including the handling of bags on every climbling of stairs (no elevator)

Anyway, the "apartment" was on the last floor, after an exhausting flight of stairs...again, no elevator. It would have been OK if not for the dirty sheets (I choose not to give details on the spot, but it was pretty nasty). Besides, the hairdryer didn't work and there was no safe. These things are ESSENCIAL to me, as I really don't care about the condition of the furniture, for instance.
On the good side, the room was quite large and with perfectly working free wi-fi.

Luckily, the location was as good as promised, with two Tube stations at a one-minute walking distance, several restaurants and even a mall. The reception staff was pretty good too, and did what they can to minimize the consequences of the several flaws in the building and service.

To sum up, try to find a different hotel in Bayswater.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dominique0810
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I have stayed at Hyde Park suites before and had a lovely studio apartment. This time I booked a superior studio and was very disappointed, it is rather grotty, there's mould on the windows, the furniture is worn and scratched. I only paid £60 which is very cheap but the studios can cost more so feel it is fair to complain. I told the receptionist about the room and he told me I'd had an upgrade to a triple apartment - I can't imagine three people in here! They did offer to give me another room but I didn't have time to wait for them to arrange this. Very disappointing. Photos to follow

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Anwen61
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Well, let's start with the good things. Oh, wait. There weren't good things. There was only one good thing: location and the neighborhood. The apartments (which are over two blocks more or less) are just two blocks away from Queensway Station (where you can take the Central Line) and Bayswater (where you can take the Circled Line). In that sense, it is good. Also, the neighborhood is nice and full of restaurants, a small market (Sailsbury, if I'm not mistaken) and post offices.

Besides that, DO NOT STAY AT HYDE PARK SUITES. First, my sister and I had booked an apartment with two beds. Well, when we arrived at 10 am after a long journey, they told us that we had to wait until 2 pm (since at from that time on check in was available (?)).
When we returned at 2 pm, they gave us a room at a third floor. The building, didn't count with an elevator. So we had to make a big effort and climbed the stairs with our bags. It was not a nice experience at all. It was very tyring. When we finally got at our room, we found that we had a bed for a couple. So we got out the building and we went to the reception (which was in another building) - we had to go down the the stairs again, of course.
When we explained at the reception that we had ordered two separate beds, they told us that they didin't had any left. Since we were very upset, after asking again and again for another room and repeating that we couldn't accept one with only one bed for a couple, at 4 pm (yes, we had a two-hour check in) we were moved to another room in another building.

The second building was prettier, we had to climbed 4 floors to get in our room. And, guess what? Yes, there was no elevator. Again, I had to climbed 4 floors with my bags. And every single day, we had to go up and down four floors to get out of the building.

Oh, another disgusting thing! The cleaning service was one day per week. I stayed for a week in there. Just can't explian how disgusting it was.

Don't go.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank MelliPatil
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed January 7, 2013

I can see the photos of all the faulties from rooms, but this is not what I have in mind, thinking about my stay here.

It was a bit difficult to find the apartment for someone who has never been to London before. The apartment was not too expensive and we didn't know what to expect.
We were happy about the stay and I would gladly go back if I ever go to London again.
The location is good, short way to the Underground, Hyde Park, Oxford Street..

But when I travel I don't stay in my room, check under my bed or in the cupboards for faulties. I only sleep and eat, then experience the city. They had everything in the apartment: washingmachine, plates and cutlery, microwave, sink, fridge.. The water in the shower was hot and we had internet :)

Happy about the stay!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Janne_Merete
Reviewed January 4, 2013

This hotel is completely perfect for a young couple looking for a good night out in London! The rooms aren't 5 star suites but are exactly what you are looking for, for the price! Perfectly located for a night out!

• Stayed January 2013
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 29, 2012 via mobile

Don't be put off by the bad reviews! I will start with the positives;

The location is FANTASTIC I cannot stress that enough. You're within walking distance of two different tube stations on the Circle,District and Central lines which get you everywhere you need to go! It's only a brisk 20 minute walk to Oxford street or a 5 minute walk to Hyde Park itself.

Another reviewer complained you could not check out early, but this is incorrect. The front desk is open from 9am until 5am, we needed to check out early and they were more than accommodating simply asking us to leave the keys in the room and lock the door behind us. The staff were helpful and gave us the choice of a few rooms as some were on top floors with no elevators. He explained the better room was on a top floor and we chose to take that.

The rooms are what you would expect for the price, clean and tidy but by no means fitted out in the latest of everything. Having said that we had a studio room and it was clear it had been 'done up' but it had everything we needed. The only issue with a studio room is that everything is in the one room! The bathroom had a separate door but because of poor ventilation the room did smell musky after a having showers in the morning and then coming back after a day of sight seeing. We did leave the windows open but it didn't really help.

I will end this by saying if you want hotel quality go to a hotel, but be prepared to pay the price! If you are on a budget and happy to scrimp on these things then this is the p,ace for you! For the cost of this accommodation (the same as a hostel for two people would be) I was really pleased with the quality, service and location.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple