“meininger hostel-london”

Ranked #68 of 823 Specialty Lodging in London
Lliria, Spain
“meininger hostel-london”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

I stayed there for the weekend at a cost of 61 pounds. I found it clean and quite well run.Its a great price for a bed in a four person room.The beds were made daily and the room cleaned.Toilets and bathroom,well situated
The reception area and TV,lounge was welcoming.There were many nationalities staying and it was great to see and hear people from all over the world.
I would certainly stay there again as I felt very safe and the staff was very helpful.
They had problems changing the TV chanels which is a minor problem and I had to wait 10 minutes on more than one occasion for the one lift.I was on the 6th,floor.

Room Tip: book early to get a good price.Try for a room on a lower floor in case the lift is very busy
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed October 21, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to London and stayed in this hostel in a 8-bed-bedroom and private bathroom. The bedroom itself was ok, not big, but enough for 8 people (with not so much luggage). When using the bathroom, it felt like I was inside an airplane toilette, but it was cleaned once a day, and we were always the first to wake up (and use it while it was still clean).
We didn't have breakfast there because it wasn't included in the price and there were some cafés and also a market near there, so I can't say it was good, but also don't think it's worth it.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed October 6, 2013

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Meininger Because just as you said, It has an strategic position in London. Imagine my surprise when i waked up my first morning with you, and then it was out there, one of the towers, of That beautifull building: The Natural History Museum, Where I Spent Almost of my very first day in London, and then close to it, The Science Museum, that 'was one of my great disappointment in my short stay this time in the City. Just crossing the street there was Victoria & Albert Museum and If That was not enough, Just a few more steps, and then We Were at the entrance to Imperial College. Close to the Metro Station South Kensigtone etc.. The Wifi was OK, the free store of the luggage, was great. The breakfast in the morning was really good.
The very purpose of the Meininger BEST WAS THE PEOPLE, I mean ALL OF THEM, Have you were very helpful and efficient and kind.
Congratulations, and I only hope to go back as soon as possible. Keep on like this s.v.p.
FB

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed September 15, 2013

This was our second trip to this hostel (first was about 7 years ago). We returned for the location and it's definitely the main benefit to this hostel. We stayed in a private room for 4 - the room actually slept 6 so we had a bit of extra room for luggage on the two empty beds. Yes, the bathroom in our room was super tiny, but it didn't cause us any problems.

We ended up with a room over looking the main street - and as other reviews have said, that was pretty noisy. The hostel inside was quiet in our section (with the exception of a fire alarm that went off at midnight one night).

We had a very busy 3 days in London and were really only in the room to shower, change, or sleep. So, it suited our purposes. The woman who helped us at check-in was friendly and helpful, but a few of the others were completely useless (could not recommend a single restaurant in the area). To sum it up: good location, so-so staff, and basic accommodations.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Wendy N
Orange, California
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Stayed here for two nights on my way back from Amsterdam. Had originally stayed at the Walrus Hostel and enjoyed this place a little bit more. The location is really good and is close to a lot of food options and also the famous Hyde Park. The staff is pretty nice and definitely helpful, would stay here again in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sheffield
Reviewed September 4, 2013

The price and location is excellent! And the reception people are all very nice and helpful. But, although I chose 4 bunk bed when booking, me and my friend was arranged to a 12 people room. That really shocked me at the moment we entered the room. But, the room is quite clean and other people in the room(most of them are males, and only three females included me and my friend) are not annoying at all. So, I still will recommend this hostel to my friends.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2013

TOO OLD TO BACKPACK?
Two weeks in advance, I booked into the grand looking South Kensington Astor Hyde Park Backpackers Lodge for 4 nights in a mixed 6 bed dormitory. I paid online the deposit of £10 and had £97 to pay on arrival. Excellent; I was all set for my visit to London and after two months travelling around Asia and staying in a wide variety of places including some rather dubious back alley hostels, I felt completely at home with the basic but friendly backpackers scene.
On time at 1900 as arranged, I trudged along Queensgate, rucksack laden, to a beautiful Victorian terraced house next door to the National History Museum. The inside was wood panelled and the ceilings were high. I’ve landed on my feet here, I thought. At the reception desk, a woman asked for my name and found my booking before asking “How old are you?” This is a common question in Malaysia and never meant to cause offence so I cheerfully replied, “49.” Quite brutally, she announced, “then you’re too old to stay here!”
For a moment, I was convinced she was joking. The beauty of backpacking is that there is such a diverse mix of usually fascinating people of different cultures, nationalities, backgrounds, experiences . . . . . and ages. There is always such a pleasant social mix and exciting atmosphere when throwing on a rucksack and embracing the traveller lifestyle for a while. I had been welcome around the world but on returning to my own country, I was too old!!!
There were many emotions in those few minutes; sadness, rejection, anger (for sure) and fear that I now had nowhere to go and it was getting dark. “Do you really mean I am in London alone with nowhere to stay?” I asked rather pathetically. “I’m afraid so. It is in our small print. You have to be 18-35 years old, so we are also going to keep your deposit.” Talk about rubbing salt into the ageing wound!
I stood on the London pavement and looked around feeling lost but I couldn’t just stand there so I started to walk and think. Within two minutes, smiling down at me was a large poster of Bear Grylls in his scouting uniform. Several rucksacks were heading that way so I joined them. At the bright and open reception of the Meininger, a friendly young lad greeted me and I explained my dilemma. He found me a room for all four nights although I had to move rooms once, he charged me only £15 per night, offered me a cup of tea from the café and I went up to find a clean, airy room with a sink and locker. (He didn’t give me my requested further reduction for having a soft spot for Bear Grylls however!!) This hostel had lively scout groups, loud school parties, cheerful families, older singletons and scruffy foreign travellers of all ages. There was a wonderful atmosphere and a great mix – it was a welcoming place for all.
Thank you Lord Baden-Powell, the scouting movement and Bear. Perhaps together, we can try and expel this ageist prejudice from UK backpackers – can it really be legal for them to do this?

Room Tip: All clean but of course, less people in a room, less likelihood of disturbance.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo