“Perfect for school groups”

MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park
Ranked #70 of 895 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed June 27, 2008

I led a group of 50 schoolkids & parents to London for five days in May. We were looking for clean, safe accommodation in a convenient location. The Meininger fit our bill perfectly. We had several 12-bed rooms, which vary in size, so need to be looked at before assigning room. (The girls on our trip got the smaller room, and weren't happy).

The Meininger is only a 5-minute walk from the Gloucester Road tube stop, and can be reached directly from Heathrow Airport. The Natural History Museum is right next door, and Kensington Palace and Gardens are only about 10 minutes walk. The Princess Diana playground is a fantastic place for kids to let off some energy.

Everything was basic, but for our group was fine, since the kids couldn't really ruin anything. Breakfast was OK, the kids ate well everyday. Dinner was a disappointment, and should be avoided if at all possible.

Any teacher looking for group accommodation can't do better than the Meininger. University students wanting a place to party should look elsewhere, since alcohol is not allowed here.

Barbara Wissinger
Lengdorf Germany

• Stayed: May 2008
1  Thank GermanMum
There are newer reviews for MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park

Reviewed June 5, 2008

Just returned from staying at the Baden-Powell hostel, on a trip with my school Elms Primary in Nottingham. I thought it was a nice clean place, the food was nice and i would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2008
Reviewed May 19, 2008

Having just returned from the Baden Powell where we stayed because there was a very large group of us, i was pleasantly surprised. The (double) room was a lot bigger than i expected and there were tea & coffee making facilites with plenty of the stuff. There was also a desk and futon in our room. Plus en-suite toilet room with small shower including mini shower/hair gels, altough shower was small i was grateful to be able to freshen up. Double glazed windows helped with the noise, as we were on the road side. The staff were extremely friendly and helpfull. Breakfast fine, buffet style. The only downfall was only one pillow, not enough. All in all an enjoyable experience, i would return there with a large group in the future.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed April 22, 2008

I visited the baden powell house on a trip with many others, appart from its small bathrooms my experience there was great.
the staff were very friendly and the food yas great. this is really good venue for school trips and family visits to accomadate in!
everyone of my friends that i went with are all planning, aswell as myself, to re-visit london very soon and going back to the Baden-Powell house. There is many things for childran to do including a PS2, and a terrace on the first floor with quite an imperssive view.
i will most definatly be revisiting Baden-powell house soon.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I went on a school trip with my year to london a few days ago
to see london. Me and my room mates were a bit annoyed at the fact we had to make our own beds.Also, the bath room was very small and one of my room mates didn't even want to shower ; i did but didn't want to! i also thought that the dinners were a bit bland and my friend is a vegetarian and she didn't have a wide vatiety of food at breakfast time.They also didn't give us any sauses.All of the people who went didn't like the puddings at all!!! For the first night we got strawberry moose and it was to tangy!!! And on the second night we got jelly that was to runny!!!The only thing i really liked was the location!!!

• Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank willowLiverpool
Reviewed February 28, 2008

In booking the Meininger I was well aware that I was going to receive little in terms of privacy, hygiene, luxury etc. but my main objective was to find a well-located (meaning safe) bargain hostel.

My companions and I had to sleep in a 12 person (mixed room). The room is equipped with two bathrooms (showers), 6 bunk beds and 12 lockers in the room. If you have lousy roomates, the experience is guaranteed to be horrendous, but everyone was quite easygoing. The room was a bit dusty/dirty and the breakfast very underwhelming, but I didn't expect much anyways.

As for safety, the hostel is located in London's ritziest area, South Kensington, so there is little reason to be too afraid. There is a 24 hour service desk in the hostel (you have to show your ID to get in after 10 pm), a magnetic card to get into your hall and room and a key lock to get to your luggage.

The surroundings of Hyde Park, South Kensington and the Natural History Museum (right across the hostel), in my regard, make up for all the shortcomings of this hostel. It is ideal for young people or joggers (Hyde Park is perfect for this) and NOT for families or couples.

One more word of advice: If you can, book 2-3 months ahead of time and you'll be able to get a 3 to 6 person room which are bound to be more hygienic.

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank HolzhausenPark
Reviewed February 12, 2008

We stayed at this hostel in a 4 bed dorm room for 4 nights in January. We did not enjoy our time here at all and really regretted coming here, right away.

First off, it's not really a hostel, and lacks any sort of hostel atmosphere. My husband and I chose this hostel in hopes to put our feet up, meet some people, watch a movie, play a game, and perhaps have a beer or two. The lobby on the first floor and doesn't have any games and house rules don't allow you to have any alcohol in the building. There are two flat screen TVs that have BBC world on them, but you couldn't even hear it, or find a seat to watch it in the afternoon and morning because the lobby was so busy. The lobby was constantly overrun with young children (scouts) and teenagers.

We weren't given any sort of information that would indicate that this would not be a good place to meet people or that their primary guests were not young adults, but children.

The price you pay does include breakfast, but it's pretty mediocre. Yes, there is cereal and bread, but the juice is all powder mixes, the oatmeal was luke-warm, and the bacon is old and cold every day.

There were two employees at the front desk, the man was very knowledgeable of the local area and attractions, the other worker didn't know much about the area at all.

Overall, I would not recommend this place to anyone, especially couples.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple