“Grea location, really small rooms, lame bathroom.”

MEININGER Hotel London Hyde Park
Ranked #73 of 908 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed January 9, 2012

I had some issues with check in, and really hated the bathroom - it's ridiculously small, but the location couldn't be more perfect - it's next to great museums and really close to hyde park!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank PedroCapellao

Reviewed December 17, 2011

Despite the rating that I have given I have stayed in some terrible hotels where the price was somewhat more than was paid for the Meininger.

The room was a decent size albeit that the cubicle (shower room/toilet) was no bigger than you might get in an inside-cabin on a small ship. The beds were comfortable but a second (or deeper pillow) would have been appreciated. That said I did get a good night's sleep - surprisingly there wasn't any noise from the wooden floors in the rooms above or corridor outside. Whilst our room overlooked Queen's Gate/Natural History Museum there was no discernable noise from traffic.

When booking the room was described as having a telephone and tea/coffee facilities. Our room had neither. No big deal about the phone but no t/c was a downer. We did ask at reception and facilties (carboard cups but the coffee was fine) were in our room when we returned from shopping. We didn't eat in the hotel so it wouldn't be fair to comment about the food.

Located very near to museums, Knightsbridge shops and tube stations the hotel is in a good location and, I have to say, we felt quite safe in the area when going back to the hotel at 10.30 on a Friday night. The Meininger has more of a hostel feel to it than hotel but with that in mind I would be content to stay there again if needing accommodation in that part of London. To finish on a positive note the staff on reception were all very cheerful and helpful.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 18, 2011

I booked a single room. They gave me a prison-cell worse than the Alcatraz. The room was about 1.5m X 3.5m, I could not move around other wise I my head would hit the old type TV. The heat was unbearable and controlled only by opening the window to the London winter. It had no closet and no place to open my suitcase. The bathroom was for the disabled remind me hospitals. The shower was leaky. And then the cherry on the cake: the elevator was not working... A night in London that I will never forget

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank Ioannis E
Reviewed November 14, 2011

The location was good. The breakfast and packed lunch was decent but I found out I can get great sandwiches with drinks and snacks for less than 4 pounds as part of the meal deals in supermarkets (Boots, Tesco).
I came at a wrong time - the elevators were under renovation. When I found out about the renovation I have already made my payment. So I wrote an email (months ago) to request for a room on a lower floor as I was carrying a lot of books. Guess what? I was given a room on the 6th floor - the highest floor in the building. No one in the hostel was apologetic about the lifts at all. The showers were even more appalling - well at least the ones on the 6th floor were appalling. The drains were clogged and dirty water could not drain from the shower. The beds were decent and comfortable. However there was no power outlets for us to charge our phones and cameras. We were there for 3 nights so it was a huge inconvenience. I have stayed in several other hostels and this is the first time i come across an accomodation without a power socket.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Ada123456
Reviewed October 21, 2011

POSITIVE
This hostel is the best hostel I've ever been! The room is clean, modern and big! I was in a dorm with 12 beds and it was great because there is 2 rooms separated by a wall, so it looks like a 6 beds dorm!

The staff was nice and what I didn't expected was the good location! It's in a residential quarter!

NEGATIVE
There is only one thing I didn't like, but one of the most important for some people...

The LOCKER in the room!!! Everyone has a locker under their bed but the problem was that the hole where we have to put the padlock! I had 2 padlock! One big and one standard. When I locked with the standard one (the padlock we put on trolleys), it was possible to open the locker! And the bigger one was too big...

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank takayukibru
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I would definitely recommend this hotel. I think it opened not too long ago. The staff was really friendly and helpful, rooms were clean and comfortable and contained all that people need. The hot breakfast was very tasty with a wide choice. The hotel. very near to nutural history & VA museums and Harrod Dept. Store

Room Tip: location is accessible museums, buses and park
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Sumakwel
Reviewed August 17, 2011

The lobby and reception area are the best. Staff is great. Especially Ash, the receptionist. It's a great place to stay if you want to have fun and meet a lot of new people. Rooms are bit crowded and bathrooms are quite small but very very clean. Beds are comfy. It's a bit noisy during the night because of the traffic but nothing you can't solve by closing the window. If I get a new chance to visit London, I'll definitely stay at Meininger!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends