“Fantastic Value for Money”

Charlotte Guest House
Ranked #17 of 554 London B&B and Inns
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Value for Money”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We were in London for one night, needed somewhere to stay as my partner was attending a course. Very welcoming receptionist, we didn't have the £5 in cash required for the deposit for the key and she very kindly let us off only give £3. Pointed us to our room in the main house which was a lot more spacious than expected and very clean.

We had the freedom of a key opening the front door as well as the individual room which was great as we got back quite late. Breakfast the next morning was lovely in the little conservatory that have. Simple options but well done with friendly staff.

It was also very close to tube and overground services which was perfect for us. We left our bags in the reception on the Sunday as we had to check out, but went back to collect them around 5pm before going home. Felt very comfortable leaving the bags there always seemed to be a member of staff around.

Would definitely stay again and would recommend to anyone wanting a great deal with very easy transport into the city.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Tilburg, Netherlands
Reviewed September 29, 2013

From September 26th till September 29th we stayed in the Charlotte Guesthouse. I travelled with my mother and my brother. We expected a room with three beds, in stead we got a room with two beds; one single bed and one double bed. So I had to sleep with my mother in one bed. Since we'd stay for only three nights it wasn't really a big problem, although it wasn't ideal.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They gave good information and tips. The staff that took care of the breakfast was also very friendly and helpful. The only negative point about the breakfast was the English Breakfast. The white beans in tomato sauce seemed to be poured out of a jar on a plate; it was cold. I had the English Breakfast twice but the beans were cold both times. The toasted sandwiches with cheese and ham were great and very hot. I even burnt my lip, but that's of course my own mistake.

Charlotte Guesthouse is situated in West Hampstead, it's a quiet and pleasant neighbourhood in North-West London. The guesthouse is situated in a peaceful residential area near the main road of the neighbourhood. The main building of the guesthouse, they seem to own more buildings, is located directly next to the West Hampstead Thameslink station. It really depends on what side of the building you have your room. We had room 6, which is on the front of the building (the side at Sumatra Road) but room 8 was at the station's side and the guests in that room will have heard every train passing by till late in the night. I don't know what the situation is in the other buildings of Charlotte Guesthouse, we only stayed in the main building for the 3 nights we were there.

Since Charlotte Guesthouse is a budget place we didn't expect too much luxury and that's okay. If we wanted luxury we just had to find ourselves another hotel and pay more. Though I was quite disappointed by the fact that one socket in the room was defect, so we could use only one socket to charge our electric devices like mobile phones and e-readers; fortunately I brought myself an extension block. I was also shocked that the bed nightstand almost fell apart when opening the drawer. The lamp on it wasn't much better, we thought the lamp would fall into pieces if it got hit by some draft. Even in a budget hotel one may expect that sockets work, furniture doesn't fall apart and that lamps doesn't form a possible hazard in a room.

The free WiFi-connection didn't work. My phone, neither my mother's could contact the internet through this WiFi-connection. My brother could access the internet when he was standing outside the building. So the WiFi is cool but pretty useless, I had to visit an internet café to get online.

I think it was mentioned somewhere by Charlotte Guesthouse, but towels are only refreshed every 3 days. If you like clean towels every day, like I do, you have to bring your own towels.

On average I can conclude that Charlotte Guesthouse is great for a short stay. If you're only a couple of days in London then it's a fine place to stay. Especially if you do not value luxury too much and sharing a bathroom with other guests. You have a bed to sleep in, the place is clean, there's a more than good breakfast available, the staff is friendly, helpful and very cooperative. Though, if you plan to stay for a longer time in London. I'd suggest you'll think good about what you desire from a hotel/guesthouse/B&B and decide for yourself whether you think Charlotte Guesthouse is the right place for you.

Room Tip: Rooms on the north side of the main building are quieter! Be aware that 3 beds doesn't mean thre...
London
Reviewed September 28, 2013

Very friendly and efficient staff.
Ensuite room had been renovated and was clean, well serviced and quiet.
Close to tube, bus and train station and to local eateries.
I would recommend this guest house.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had to stay in West Hampstead for a business meeting and I came across this guesthouse with mixed reviews. What a surprise to find (for 55 pounds) a room recently refurbished, small, neat with a clean bathroom. They own 6 houses on Sumatra road. Although I usually need to be in a different area for work, I will consider stopping by again in this guesthouse. Well done!

Room Tip: I stayed in room 4 at Sumatra road 213.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank vitoa36
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed September 19, 2013

we stayed 6 nights at this guest house and it was a great time. The staff were very kindly and helpful, the room was very clean and also the breakfast room and everywhere. the street is very pleasant and quiet, the location is great- just a few minutes from underground station, I'm sure that in our next visit in London we'll stay at Charlotte guest house again.

Iasi, Romania
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We booked a double room with shared bathroom at Charlotte based on the great reviews we read here. All in all we were not dissapointed - especially at this price level.
The room was large, bed comfortable;room had TV, kettle with tea/ coffee and was cleaned everyday.
I was hesitant about the shared bathroom but to my relief it was always clean and always available.
Breakfast was good. We stayed in a different house along the same street, breakfast is served in the main building. The breakfast room was crowded. We usually got there around 8:30 when it was the most crowded so most of the times we had to wait for a table, but no more than 5-7 minutes.
The guest house is in a quiet residential area, there are shops(a Tesco express among them) and restaurants very close nearby. The underground station is a 10 minute walk away.
The staff is friendly and helpful.
The only real problem we had with our room was that it was facing the train station and was very noisy. We could sleep relatively undisturbed between - 12,12:30 and 5,5:30 , after that it got more and more noisy. Not to noisy to sleep - but not quiet enough to sleep well. The windows are really old and don't keep much of the noise out.
But, like I said, all in all it was a positive experience and we would consider staying here again when we'll visit London next time. Great value for money and a good base for exploring wonderfull London.

Room Tip: If you are staying in the house that is next to the train station, ask for a room facing the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Parry Sound
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We spent 3 nights at Charlotte House this August and while it is not Buckingham Palace it is very comfortable,clean well tended and extremely reasonable. The staff are very helpful and we stayed in the main house and there was 24 hour staffing. While we had a triple with no ensuite(but did have a sink) we had no problems sharing a bathroom. We would highly recommend this establishment though getting a room there can be difficult as it is a very busy place. Breakfast were good also.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family