“A gem of a museum”

Ranked #94 of 1,695 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Please see the website for up to date information. Just around the corner from the world-famous Portobello Road Market stands a unique, Aladdin's cave of retro design and memories - the only museum of its kind in the whole world. Imagine walking through a corridor full from floor to ceiling with the treats that the British have filled their shopping baskets with for the last 200 years. Every corner you turn in the Time Tunnel leads you into a different decade. Discover what has made shoppers tick for the last 200 years and surround yourself in the classic designs, vintage adverts and retro stylings that fill our museum. The Museum is available to hire for evening events and there's a fabulous conference room for daytime events! So whether you visit to awaken childhood memories or to inspire your own designs, we welcome you to the Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising. Opening Times Tuesday to Saturday: 10am - 6pm Sunday: 11am - 5pm Monday: Closed, except bank holidays We are closed during the Notting Hill Carnival, 24, 25 and 26 December and New Year's Day. Last entry is 45 minutes before closing.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children
Reviewed December 23, 2013

We spent an afternoon at this fascinating and delightful Museum. All the staff were really friendly and helpful. The displays really took us back to our childhood memories..They have lovely unusual goodies in their shop, which I bought for presents. We had a proper mug of tea in the café, which had a lovely friendly atmosphere. I highly recommend a visit. It is well worth your time whilst in the area.

1  Thank TravelfunBedford

Reviewed December 20, 2013

We stayed with our son and his family in Addlestone last week, he told us he would like to take us to the Museum of Brands which he had previously visited.
This place is fantastic, something for everyone. Whatever your age it will bring memories flooding back, this I understand is a private collection a guy as amassed over the years. There is every tin of food, sweets, biscuits, you name it, it's there.
I would recommend on a London visit, make this the top of your list.

1  Thank Stanley H
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We went here on the recommendation of a friend. We had never heard of the museum, but now we have found it, we will go back. It is amazing. Depending on when you were born, you will come across a section that relates to your childhood. I couldn't believe the memories that came flooding back when I turned a corner and immediately recognised items I had long forgotten from my schooldays. There is so much here that one visit is not enough to take it all in.

Absolutely incredible!

1  Thank TommoNorfolk
Reviewed December 13, 2013

Always meant to visit this museum when it was in Gloucester Docks, but never made it. So when we were in the Notting Hill Area recently, and visiting Portobello Market, we finally made it. Not that easy to find, and we actually walked past it earlier in the day without realising. Nice museum, brought back many memories, long forgotten. Disappointed that there was not more stock in the shop. Well worth a visit though and if you are a National Trust member you get a discount. It wasn't busy when we visited, but if it was, it might have been a bit crushed and claustrophobic, and some of the other visitors had large backpacks which continually kept hitting me. Needs baggage/backpack storage.

1  Thank John R
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Wow. What a fab place. This is a little wonder and I am going back. It is a visual history of the British shopping a few small rooms starting with if I remember the Victorians which I found the most colourful right up to the present. I can't really add more than what the other satisfied customer have said. The site could be a bit bigger but then it might loose its charm and there are so many cafes around that the one in the museum is adequate. As its self funding then I suppose the gift shop will be extended when money is there. I had no idea that Mr Opie was still around I remember he used to have a site in Chatham dockyard so I am so pleased that its still going. I really think that adults will enjoy this much more than children ! hehe

1  Thank Minerva88