“Fascinating place!!”

Ranked #90 of 1,656 things to do in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Please see the website for up to date information. Just around the corner from the world-famous Portobello Road Market stands a unique, Aladdin's cave of retro design and memories - the only museum of its kind in the whole world. Imagine walking through a corridor full from floor to ceiling with the treats that the British have filled their shopping baskets with for the last 200 years. Every corner you turn in the Time Tunnel leads you into a different decade. Discover what has made shoppers tick for the last 200 years and surround yourself in the classic designs, vintage adverts and retro stylings that fill our museum. The Museum is available to hire for evening events and there's a fabulous conference room for daytime events! So whether you visit to awaken childhood memories or to inspire your own designs, we welcome you to the Museum of Brands, Packaging and Advertising. Opening Times Tuesday to Saturday: 10am - 6pm Sunday: 11am - 5pm Monday: Closed, except bank holidays We are closed during the Notting Hill Carnival, 24, 25 and 26 December and New Year's Day. Last entry is 45 minutes before closing.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
london
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Fascinating place!!”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

This museum was chosen by my friend and I as it was one of the 2 for 1 offers from British Rail, however having now been and enjoyed the museum I would have been more than happy to pay the full price, which is far from expensive. My only criticism, and it isn't really a criticism of the museum itself, is that it is not easy to find! Luckily we found a very helpful taxi driver who took pity on us and looked it up in his AtoZ as he didn't know where it was, and he was actually parked in the next road! The entrance is through a small alleyway leading to the mews, easy to miss.
The museum itself is a real Aladdin's cave of treasures. The early displays are remarkable, and give a fascinating insight to the society of the time. For us though (both in our 60's) the hi light was the 40's rooms onward. The memorabilia was wonderful, and the 'comics' from the war I had never ever seen before and were amazing with the caricatures and anti-Hitler jokes. Moving on we spent ages in the 50's and 60's displays, and loved the juke box! There is a samll tea shop by the exit, and a well stocked gift shop. I would visit this museum again, as there was such a lot there it would need another visit to take it all in! All in all a really good museum for anyone intersted in social history.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Worth the Trip to Notting Hill”
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I'm studying marketing so of course I wanted to visit this museum, but my husband, who didn't think he'd like it, loved it! We spent about 2 hours here.

As a bonus, we got to see Portobello Road and Notting Hill, which we otherwise might not have made the time to see. Loads of nice retaurants, shops and pubs on Portobello Road and near the tube station, so you could make a whole afternoon out of it.

Visited March 2013
Dublin, Ireland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“A worthwhile trip down memory lane!”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I love the fact that there are so many visitor photos on here even though visitor photos in the museum are not allowed!! The visitor photo ban was the only down side to what was a very entertaining way to while away a few hours in this alternative museum. A must for any marketers involved in branding / design and really worth the diversion away from the Portobello Rd. Market if you are in the area.

1 Thank Louise B
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“A must for design fans!”
Reviewed April 17, 2013

This museum is fantastic, particularly for anyone who has an interest in marketing or design. As you walk through the decades, you can see how products and design tastes change along with advances in technology and fashion. I really enjoyed my visit, and could have stayed for hours, because there's so much to see. Anyone visiting the Portobello Road area should stop by for a visit. It's much better value than many other tourist attractions in London.

1 Thank Richard B
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Brilliant little trip!”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I visited the museum as part of research on the history of packaging for a university assignment. As a trainee teacher, I absolutely loved this museum, what a hidden gem! Crammed full of items to look at, and it was so interesting to see how the products had developed over the years! I would recommend a visit to the museum to anyone in a history of products, brands or history in general! Some very exciting things stowed away here, perhaps they need more publicity - too little people know about this.

Only drawback is that you can't take photographs (understandably) but would be nice to have a memory.

Visited January 2013