“Comfortable B&B”

Ranked #14 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Hamilton, Bermuda
“Comfortable B&B”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I enjoyed this lovely little B&B on a quiet side street, close to Victoria Station. All of the rooms are slightly differant and the overall effect is very quaint. I will be here again in August and update my review then.

Room Tip: If you're willing to spend the $$, book the garden suite. It is large and lovely, overlooking th...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Winchester, Hampshire
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed for one night during Wimbledon. It was difficult to find a good quality hotel and we eventually found The Lord Milner. It's about 5 minutes from Victoria with lots of restaurants nearby. The room was quite small, but well appointed. Good quality furniture and fittings, large flat screen TV, and small, but beautiful bathroom. The mini bar only has water and soft drinks and breakfast is served in your room. We chose to have breakfast nearby as the room was too cozy. The receptionist, Imelia, was very friendly, polite and professional. She helpfully booked a table for us at a nearby Italian restaurant. This was a good suggestion on her part as by 8:30 everywhere was really busy. So we enjoyed our short stay and would recommend a visit.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Gold room. Quite small, but quietly located at the rear of the building.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavidNM
Phoenix, AZ
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We just returned from our trip to London, where we had a reservation at The Lord Milner. We had made the reservation several months ago and when our credit card was stolen and replaced with a new card we thought we had notified everyone, but sadly we forgot we had used it for the Lord Milner reservation. To make matters worse, we were on a cruise the week before so not reachable, so when The Lord Milner's office tried to reach us about our credit card (both by email and phone) we were not getting their messages. Sooooo, to make a long story short, when we arrived there to check in, we were told that our reservation had been cancelled. Luckily, the person on duty at the time was Amelia - the most patient person in the world. She was so nice and spent 2 hours on the phone looking for other accommodations for us, which at the last minute in London is really tough. Well, especially when you're dealing with a budget and the fact that we loved the area and wanted to stay around there. So even though we didn't get to experience staying there, we know the customer service is wonderful and the place looked VERY cute and the neighborhood was beautiful and we were very sad to have to leave. Amelia did find us a place just a little over our budget and in a great location but not in a neighborhood as pretty as there's.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bnbloversphoenix
Devon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The hotel is only a short walk from Victoria tube. As mentioned in other reviews, the stairs are a bit steep but there is a lift. The bathroom in the Lord Milner room is a bit cramped but nicely appointed. A small but comfortable place to stay. Staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Fareham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My husband and I spent a fabulous weekend in London for our wedding anniversary. He had booked this hotel as a surprise, I had no idea where we were staying.

We arrived in London by train, Victoria train station is a very short walk from the hotel. First impressions were excellent. The street the hotel is on seems safe and pleasant. You could very easily walk past the entrance, it is very unassuming but do not let that put you off!

The staff on arrival are friendly and helpful, the reception are is lush, beautiful fresh flowers, luxurious furnishings and paintings, a wonderful impression, I thought.

We stayed in the 'Garden Suite' which is situated at the back of the hotel, down a couple of stairs. I believe this is the largest suite. I was speechless when I walked in, having children I was now used to family holidays, this was very different to our usual getaways!

The main room is huge, the same luxurious furniture throughout. I was so excited to be sleeping in a huge four posted bed! I couldn't wait for bedtime! There was a large tv on the wall, lovely cosy gas fire, comfy arm chairs and a chais longue. The main room had a huge wardrobe, with a safe. The room was very spacious, and I enjoyed spending time in it. Through some double doors is a large conservatory type room, with a well equipped mini kitchen, dishwasher, cooker, refrigerator, kettle and a few hot drinks. There's a dining table and chairs, and a lovely wicker sofa and chairs, with another large tv. My husband and I enjoyed a bottle of wine out here in the evening... So blissful. There's even a lovely small yard with patio furniture, although we never used it, I'm sure it would be lovely had the weather permitted us to. The bathroom was small but nevertheless luxurious, with its marble floors and walls. There's a lovely spacious bath with overhead shower. Fluffy towels and lovely toiletries are supplied.

The room was very quiet, we didn't hear a peep from the other guests, or from any noise outside. I think our room was the best location wise, with it being at the back.

Everything was clean, well maintained and of a very high standard. I loved my stay here, and made sure to sign the guest book. This was filled with lovely messages.

There was plenty to see and do nearby, even within walking distance (we went to see Wicked the musical, which was amazing and a short walk) and lovely places to eat. I felt safe in the area, even walking around at night,

I was sad to leave, and look forwards to our next stay at this luxurious hotel, I hope it won't be too far off!

Room Tip: Try the garden suite, especially suited if you're staying a few nights.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
hungerford
Reviewed March 31, 2013

I managed to book the Lord Milner as a last minute deal. I arrived late and the recptioist was delightful. The room was lovely and very snuggle - welcome having been in the bitter London cold.

So the only two things that spoilt it slightly - breakfast - which looked fabulous didnt start unbtil 7am and I really needed it for 6.30, so I didnt have any.
Then, as I opened my curtains the whole thing, including rail - fell on me! I left them a note at reception and, to be honest, expected a call of apology - but nothing came.

That said - I would stay again - its a great location for Victoria and as a lady on her own I felt safe on the streets walking there and safe in the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 24, 2013

It's a shame to have to give this hotel only 2 stars overall, but I need a hotel because I need a place primarily to sleep - and for both nights we could not do that. We were in a Gold room on the first floor, and the noise from the radiator/refrigerator/floorboards/plumbing/extractor fans/other guests toilets was horrendous. It is obviously going to be "luck of the draw" as to whether you get quiet neighbours who are in bed by 10p.m. or like us on both nights, guests who were still plodding around at 2a.m.. I suppose that's the drawback of these boutique hotels - old Edwardian terraces converted. The room was just big enough for you to walk around the bed, and the bathroom just large enough to turn around in "on the spot". It was nicely decorated at first glance, but carpets and (torn) curtains needing attention. We felt it was certainly not 5*.

Full English breakfast was poor for £14. Although piping hot (except for the beans which were "'fridge-cold" - someone forgot to nuke them!) the bacon was second-rate, and the sausage so spicy, we wondered which "Cumberland" they referred to in the menu! They should pop around the corner to M&S Food and buy their bacon and sausages if they want 5*! The other problem was that there was nowhere to eat the breakfast! You had to sit on the bed and eat it. There was only room for one tray on the desk at the foot of the bed. Two chairs were provided, but they had seen better days and were collapsed in the centres and offered no support. That was not our idea of 5*.

This section of Ebury street seemed to have very little traffic and was subsequently relatively quiet.

It was very clean, staff were professional, location perfect for central London needs - tube 5 minutes walk to Victoria, good VFM but we will not be staying there again. We were SO pleased to be home and to catch up on our lost sleep!

Room Tip: Perhaps you need to be on the top floor here to get a good nights' sleep, especially if you are...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple