“A secret touch of class...”
Review of The Lord Milner

The Lord Milner
Ranked #13 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“A secret touch of class...”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Pulling up in my taxi it wasn't necessarily what I had thought I had booked from first glance, this is not the hotels fault but maybe my naivety that bigger hotels were better.. When first looking at this hotel it looks quite small and has a (belgravia) b&b feel to the outside, you definitely wont expect what you get to when you get through the reception area.
The lady on reception was very nice and helpful and showed me to my room - 2nd floor, Lord Milner Room. I wasnt expecting too much, a bed, bathroom the usual. So imagine my delight when I walked into a room with a Four Poster Bed, marble bathroom, flat screen television, Lord Milner portrait (I assume) How cute is this room!!!
We loved it.. when we go back we will always request that room!!

Room Tip: Lord Milner Room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank AliJ0nes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Wilderness
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We have stayed at the Lord Milner before and found it just as comfortable the second time around. Very easy to walk to from Victoria station which is very convenient. The bathroom is beautiful albeit a little cramped for space, but for the one evenings stay it suited us just fine. One feels at home at the Lord Milner which is very satisfying. When we come back again, we will discuss the different rooms with the receptionist and I am sure we would be able to find another room that is larger without too much extra expense. Very pleasant stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank SUNSETS_AND_SEA
Woodside, California
Reviewed October 18, 2012

If you're looking for a quiet, residential feel hotel, this is a wonderful option. The staff went out of their way to help me when I had an issue with my mac, to zipping up that last inch my dress when I couldn't quite reach. The room was spacious and the bed quite comfortable. I had a lot of work to do, and it was so nice to be able to open the window and hear myself think. There's hardly any traffic at all at night. There are restaurants within the block in both directions, and Victoria Station is a 5 minute walk. Great location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank american_foxhound
Peachtree City, Georgia
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I read all the reviews prior to booking and must say that I was remarkably pleased with the Lord Milner. We arrived around noon on Sep. 13. Although we had a large amount of luggage as we were spending 7 nights then a 14 night cruise, the receptionist allowed us to fill the small lobby area and go to lunch. Upon return at 1:00 all of our luggage had been placed in our room, the Contemporary Room, on the 4th floor. This include carrying it up a flight of stairs as the elevator only goes to the 3rd. floor. It turned out that one of the desk clerks, Tim, came in and carried it up for us. He also was there for check out and brought all the luggage down. All receptionists were remarkably cheerful and helpful for anything we needed.
The room was large, about 300 sq ft and had a very comfortable bed, small love seat, flat screen tv. Only downside (if there was one) is that the closet is quite small. But not a problem. And when compared to other hotels in London, it is quite spacious.
We didn't do the breakfast as we generally eat light in the morning, but Victoria Station is a short 2 blocks away and has a market. We brought in cereal, fruit, and yogurt as the room does have a small refrigerator. Also there are restaurants nearby and a Starbucks across from Victoria Station. I would go get coffee and pastries in the morning. Additionally there are pastry shops at Victoria Station as well as restaurants.
We only ate a couple of times near the hotel. One night we walked to the Buckingham Balti House, a few short blocks toward Buckingham Palace. A bit pricey but excellent Indian food.
We also ate at De Scalzo Italian. It is out the door to the left, end of the block, left about 2 blocks. Decent food and reasonable pricing. Very nice staff.
Location... Location.....Location. If you are tubing around London you can't beat the Lord Milner for location. As I said, a short 2 blocks to Victoria Station then you can travel anywhere. We did a 7 day London Travel Card, zone 1-2 only. No need for zones 1-6 as you can simply add any extra cost if you go beyond zone 2. We only left the zones once, when we went to Windsor. Simply take your card, buy a ticket at a ticket booth, and they will only charge the additional fee for past zone 2. Cost us 8 pounds each round trip. Much cheaper than the cost for a Zone 1-6 travel card.
Back to the hotel. The WIFI is spotty and slow. Oh well. They are trying to upgrade. It is frustrating, but it's also free. There are lots of hotspots around London so it isn't a big deal.
The staff was wonderful at every turn. Hotel is clean an nice. Our room on the 4th floor was comfortable and quiet. Location is fantastic. I will definitely stay there again when travelling to London.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Papaflamingo
Whitstable, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 27, 2012

Have stayed here a few times, I am always impressed by the warm and welcoming reception. The hotel is ideally located to Boisdale's and other great places in Belgravia. The rooms are lovely and the bathrooms luxurious, even if a little compact. You just have to remember that breakfast is served in the room..if you don't there are plentiful cafe's at the end of the road.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nicola U
Reviewed August 1, 2012

An upper-class B&B or otherwise known as a boutique Hotel.

Stayed hear for the Olympics as most other places I would usually try were too full or too expensive, although at £195 this was not cheap (premium because of Olympics I guess).

Staff very pleasant indeed, location just right for us (Wicked and Horsegaurds).

Beds and bedding very luxurious, with other quality fixtures and fittings (nice TV, aircon etc.)

No breakfast room, only option was in bed...which is fine if you want this, otherwise local cafe was nice.

All in all, if you can get this for a much cheaper price than I paid, then I highly recommend this hotel. :)

Room Tip: Executive rooms have disappointing view, but I guess these are the "budget" rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was on a working visit and really enjoyed my stay here. It wasn't really a B&B though as there was no breakfast room. My room was on the top floor (level 4) which was challenging for a woman travelling alone with two weeks worth of supplies in her suitcase. The lift only goes as far as level 3, and after that there were at least three more narrow sets of stairs to get to the room. The man on reception helped me up to the room (but I could hear him moaning about the weight of my bag) and I spent the rest of my stay wondering whether I would require emergency services to lift me out with a crane. My room was great though, so actually worth the climb. It was large and well appointed with minimal street noise. The highlight of my day was summiting the entire stair-case from ground level after work each day and rewarding myself with the two little chocolates left on the bedside table, and then the two packets of yummy short bread biscuits from the coffee area. Lord Milner is well located and a great place to stay in central London.

Room Tip: Investigate a good sized room on level three if possible.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo