“Fabulous hotel,close to Brixton academy”

Church Street Hotel
Ranked #455 of 1,089 Hotels in London
grantham
“Fabulous hotel,close to Brixton academy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2010

This is a fabulous Hotel in Camberwell with wonderful mexican themed rooms.The staff were excellent.Breakfast was delecious,croissants,yoghurts,honey etc.We were here for a concert in Brixton Academy,which was only a short bus ride away.
I particularly liked the Korres toiletries in the bathroom!We would definitely stay here again.We also found a really great Turkish restaurant called Tadim nearby.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Korean first
Lyon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2009

The staff is wonderful, I loved the honesty bar, the decoration...

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank didg69
Queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2009

I stayed 2 nights in a single room with shared bathroom at this fabulous hotel in south london. The atmosphere and style of this place is such a refreshing change from the usual stodgy london hotels: great colours and decor from mexico, with a wonderful library-lounge area where you can mix your own drinks (honesty system) or make a complimentary freshly ground coffee, organic tea, or hot chocolate. Breakfast, included in the price, consists of delicious pastries, muesli, eggs, toast, coffee, fresh juices, organic yoghurt ... yum. The shared bathroom was spotless and right next to the 2 bedrooms it serviced. My room with single bed was compact but warm and cosy, with a lovely fluffy doona and great pillows.
The only draw back to staying here is that it is well clear of the usual tourist haunts, and not on a underground route, but I caught the bus to and from Victoria station with large bags and minimal hassle. There are some interesting cafes etc on the street nearby (I had a great vietnamese Pho across the street for 5 quid) and the newly opened tapas bar associated with the hotel is a real treat. The area felt pretty safe to me, a single female travelling alone, so don't be put off by other reports.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank LNR18
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2009

I decided to stay at Church Street Hotel as a result of the great reviews that it had received on TA and it 100% lived up to expectations.

The hotel itself isn't that easy for us to get to, but it was an entirely manageable walk from the Oval tube station (about 20 minutes) and just around the corner from Denmark Hill train station. The bus links were also excellent. Although the hotel isn't in one of London's best neighbourhoods, we had absolutely no trouble at all. It was very handily placed for Brixton Academy and the guy on the 24 hour reception was more than happy to print me off a bus route and to give me detailed directions to the correct bus stop etc.

We were expecting our room to be quite noisy, but as we picked a room with a shared bathroom (plus a sink in our own room), we were on the top floor and facing away from the street- I had a great nights sleep! Although I was a bit nervous about the shared bathroom, it was very clean and we didn't have to "fight" to use it. The room wasn't very big but it was entirely adequate. Our big wrought iron bed was ridiculously comfy and once we were inside the hotel, we really could have been in Mexico. The attention to detail was fantastic- even the hairdryer, coasters and fan in our room managed to conform to the theme!

The hotel has a great little lounge and there was unlimited amounts of tea and "real" coffee. There was also a well stocked honesty bar for guests to enjoy. The complimentary organic chocs and chilli sauce in our room was also a very welcome treat!

Breakfast was also very good. We had a choice of organic cereals, muffins, pastries, toast and preserves and an egg. The girls who were serving were attentive but didn't intrude too much.

This hotel was a great find and I'll be staying again when I go to another gig at Brixton. It did live up to expectations and I would happily recommend to others.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2009

Despite looking very average from the outside as the Tapas Bar is not open at present, the desk service in the evening and morning was very welcoming/ The free drink and DVD facilities were also shown and the arrangement was laid back. Room was a bit tight but well provided for including organic chocolate! Great to have solid pillows and a firm mattress. More than made up for the view of wasteland out the back (temporary it has to be said)! I'd certainly recommend it to anyone. Buses straight to KX and Esuton

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Turkey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2009

One of the best hotels I have stayed in. The Mexican theme might not be for everyone, but we had an excellent stay.

We had a standard room which was quite compact but extremely clean and comfortable. They also included many small details which make your stay more pleasant, like water and chocolate in the room, and DVDs which you can borrow from reception.

If you're a light sleeper you may be bothered by noise from the street and staircase. It wasn't terrible but we could hear some noise during the night.

The bathroom was also compact but very cool (Mexican tiles!) with a good shower. Many hotels claim to have fluffy towels and this is the first time I ever saw them materialise.

Breakfast is excellent. There is a nice selection and everything is good quality. We had to leave early on our final day and they were happy to give us an early breakfast. Throughout our stay the staff were pleasant and extremely helpful.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MemberTurkey
York, North Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2009

I've just stayed at the Church Street Hotel for one night, while attending a weekend course in London. The exterior of the hotel is unassuming, but the interior design with a Mexican feel is quirky and fun. I love the bright colours! The staff were friendly, helped me carry my luggage to the room, and gave me good information on local restaurants and buses. There are buses which stop on the road outside the hotel, and which will take you to and from central London, including to various Underground stations. That is very handy, and especially if there's disruption to the tube trains.

I felt OK in the area where the hotel is located. It's where people live, so there are lots of grocery shops where I could buy fruit, etc. I bought a nice pastry from a shop across the road, for instance. There's lots of good restaurants to eat in. The feel of the area might seem rough to some people - I didn't feel particularly anxious there. There's a bustling feel to the street, and the hotel itself is calm and bright on the inside.

The single room I stayed in was small, but I would expect that of a boutique hotel in London, and there was just enough room for me and my luggage. Everything was very clean. There was free wifi, a flatscreen TV and a DVD player in the room, and I could borrow a range of DVDs to watch if I wanted. The room had some free Green & Black's chocolate, homemade hot sauce, and bottled water. There were paperback copies of books to read, including Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four, which I'd just been talking about with a friend! So that was another lovely, homely touch.

The bed was extremely comfortable, had what felt like fluffy down pillows, and I slept like a log in it! There was a power shower in the bathroom with plenty of hot water, and some lovely toiletries which smelled yummy. The towels were fluffy and huge! I've never seen such a huge bath towel anywhere else! There was adjustable air conditioning in the room. I'd say the only problem was that there was some noise from air conditioning units outside my window, but that was white noise, and didn't stop me getting to sleep. There was less noise than I'd expected from the street outside - that didn't bother me.

Tea and coffee were self-serve in the guest lounge, and there's an honesty bar there too. Breakfast was also served in the lounge. It's a very good continental breakfast, with a choice of cereals, freshly squeezed fruit juices, teas and coffee, toast, yoghurt, and some very nice pastries, with a range of jams, condiments, etc.

I enjoyed my stay at the Church Street Hotel, would be happy to stay there again if I'm in London, and also to recommend it to friends.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business