“Great atmosphere”

Ranked #523 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Pittsburgh, PA
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Breakfast was yummy pastries, organic cereals, toast, plus fresh juice and coffee/tea. Very tasty. The room had enough space (for London) and plenty of great flair. It was a maze and a climb to get up to our room, so perhaps not good for creaking knees unless you request a lower room (we were on the top floor). The lounge was a wonderful place to chill, the tea/coffee/honesty bar and wifi were all much appreciated. Staff was friendly and helpful. Bus service was excellent for our needs, we could get to central London in under 20 mins. I would absolutely stay again.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank rachle_arnold

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Korean first
Sheffield
Reviewed October 17, 2008

I stayed here for one night because I was going to a gig at Brixton Academy, and it was absolutely ideal. The bus went direct to the venue from Church Street (took 10 mins, and runs through the night too). This is not the greatest area of London and I very much doubt I'd've found somewhere so nice and characterful anywhere else close to the venue. The alternative would've been to have spent a lot more for somewhere less charming and much further away in central London.

The hotel itself was clean, with unusual and interesting decor and a tasty light breakfast of organic cereals, juices and muffins. They take security very seriously.

I would say this is an ideal hotel for short visits to the South London and I will definately use it again if I go to any more gigs in Brixton. This is probably not the hotel for you if you are planning a long touristy trip to see the sights of London as the area is a bit rough and it's 30-45 mins on the bus to central London.

• Liked — Convenient location for nightlife in Brixton
  • Disliked — Camberwell is quite rough!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank gillisfab
Cornwall
Reviewed July 16, 2008

South London hotel. Very original and different from the chains. Rooms all have a Spanish theme, Very clean, hospitable. quiet and friendly . Rooms are air conditioned. Bar system was unusual and refreshingly trusting. Continental breakfast was fine with fresh croissant and pain au chocolate etc. Transport system was buses but a good frequent selection . Nearest tube was the Oval about a 20 min walk. Cabs could be ordered at reception. If you want to stay in South London this is a good choice. Neighborhood is multi ethnic so lots of interesting food /fresh veg shops and restaurants around. The hotel is planning to open their own restaurant shortly which we will try on our next visit. Don't be put off by the reception area which is a little faded the interior is like an Alladin's cave. We will definitely stay again on our next visit to South London when we visit our son.

• Liked — Ambience
  • Disliked — Not many black london cabs around to hail
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth
Reviewed April 27, 2008

I needed somewhere really close to Kings College Hospital as my husband had to stay in hospital for a few days, I searched so many web sites looking for something as close and clean as possible. I liked the look of the Church Street Hotels website and went for it. Well Im so glad I did, being a very nervous 55 year old woman on my own not used to London and not knowing where anything is. The moment I got to the Hotel I felt safe. My room was lovely, so cosy and clean the bed was big and very comfortable flat screen T.V and DVD. I was told I could help my self to any films I,d like to watch. The toiletries were delightful as was the complimentary chocolate. The staff were great very helpful and friendly, and breakfast delicious. I would definitely recommend this Hotel. Also this Hotel is a 10 minute walk along the main road to Kings College Hospital.

• Liked — Clean and comfortable
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank BournemouthLilly
Lancashire
Reviewed April 15, 2008

I have stayed at Church Street several times, most often when working near Waterloo and I also found it a good base for family to explore London. Camberwell isn't the most obvious place to stay, but the hotel is great - beautifully-decorated rooms in a mexican/venice beach/americana style; free wifi, fabulous breakfasts with freshly squeezed orange juice, hot coffee and big croissants (they'll make boiled eggs for you if you ask), comfortable beds that don't hurt my back...as a lone traveller mostly I put a premium on feeling safe and welcomed - both apply to the Church Street hotel. Travel into London via the tube at Oval, or by bus (20 mins to Waterloo station).

• Liked — free wifi, breakfast and big bed
  • Disliked — No resturant, but there are several within walking distance
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business