“Best if you are hard of hearing”
Review of 291 Suites

291 Suites
Ranked #484 of 956 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed July 7, 2012

This is next to a noisy pub (rooms at the rear) and on a noisy road with frequent night busses (rooms at the front).
My room appeared trendy with a blue underlit loo (why?), but the broken chair, kitchenette handle and 3" thin futon style mattress took the edge of first impressions.
Combine dwith the racket of guests coming up the stairs and slamming the front door means that I had my worst night's sleep in paid accommodation of all time.
I will not stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Ian P

Reviewed March 16, 2012

Nice location (the nearest metro station - 5 minutes, a lot of bars, restaurants around), good modern rooms, hospitable and friendly receptionists

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed October 1, 2011

Ignore this review at your peril. Odd setup with 'reception' in another building across the road. The professional photos do not relfect the room I had. 'Suite' was awful. Quickly renovated to cowboy standard, cracks on every plastered surface and seriously neglected. Skirting boards cracked or peeling away from walls. Fixtures and fittings missing from most areas, such as door handles, toilet roll holders etc.Void of all cleanliness on every surface, stains on every piece of furniture. Bathroom was a health hazard in itself with exposed electric cables, filth on the shower head (underneath a peeling ceiling) and the toilet roll left on waste bin. The wooden floor was cracked, lifting up and had proud screw heads, obviously buried under the days/weeks of dust and dirt. And as for the mattress and bed.... Old, lumpy, hard and worhty of Guy Fawkes. We got no slept whatsoever and wanted to leave by 3am. Add to this the humming fridge that denies even the slightest possibility of sleep. This is without doubt the worst place I have ever stayed in and having cheaply hostelled around Eastern Europe I have truly experienced some dives! Whoever rates this property as acceptable has clearly mistaken a room they had in another 'hotel'. It shouldn't be criticised, it should be condemned! Whoever owns this place should be embarrassed into putting everything right and as it should be as it really has an incredible amount of potential, if in the right hands.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank Steve J
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Everything about the suite was as advertised except for the fact that the rooms / suites are at the top of either one, two or three staircases. Dragging luggage to your rooms is no fun and yourself at the end of each day a bit of a chore!! Ran into a young mother with a baby in a pram on the second floor - wonder what her review will be?? The shower was tiny and the bathroom had no shelves or storage even though it was quite roomy.
Overall - not really impressed.

Room Tip: ALL the rooms are up stairs so be prepared. You book in at an office across the street and are then...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rose C
Reviewed September 7, 2011

I am in my room at 291 suites now, using the free WiFi, which is great. I had booked for 274 Suites but when checking in was told I was in 291, which is just a minute away from the office. the room is absolutely tiny, if I was with someone, it would be far too small. it really is a room with a shower, rather than a suite.. The room has an AC, radiators, microwave, toaster, hob and kettle, wuciwug has been very cleverly inserted into a cupboard with a kitchen sink. there is a Plasma TV and DVD player, and the free WiFi. The bathroom has Beemer recently done, it has a nice shower, sink, loo, heated towel rail and Hairdryer.
Unfortunately the room has been been given the same attention. the water heater in the corner has been leaking for ages and the wall and floor underneath are badly stained. everything felt rather grubby, luckily the bed and linen are lovely and clean.
I couldn't relax until I had cleaned and wiped every surface with dettol, and rewashed all the crockery and cutlery. I'm afraid that I even attacked the water stains with Mr Muscle. Now it feels cleaner, I am very relaxed and comfortable here. The staff, ( I have only met the receptionist and a cleaner) were very nice and helpful. I asked for extra pillows and got them within minutes. The area is lovely, there's a real village feel to it. I thought it would be noisy, but it isn't at all. All the shops and restaurants you could need are nearby and the tube and bus are very close. All in all, I am enjoying my stay,but the rooms would be a lot more attractive if a bit more attention was paid to cleaning and decorating. As the room rate was reasonable, I feel satisfied. I would stay again, but if I was with someone, I would ask for a larger room.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank pennygMalta
Reviewed June 13, 2011

West Hampstead is quite a way out of London and the Jubilee line is still undergoing work, this was the first indication that we had missed the mark on this booking. The hotel is a good 10-15 min walk from the tube station, dragging bags. It is not a 'suite hotel'. Our room was average hotel room size, with a hotplate, sink and fridge in a cupboard, which for some strange reason was always hot. Unfortunately the utensils and crockery were not clean and there were not sufficient for two people! The bed was extremely uncomfortable, the downstairs restaurant cooking smells infiltrated the room, not very pleasant. The bathroom was quite pleasant. Overall, it looked like someone had begun to renovate to quite a good standard, but it had not been finished off. The entrance was like some back street entrance, not pleasant and very pokey.It was a cheap option for London, but would not recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank GuruandL
Reviewed January 29, 2011

When we arived with my 87 year old mother, a notice on the well-concealed door to no.291 West End Lane directed us to no.274, which my wife eventually found was a lettings agency. The receptionist was rude and unhelpful; allocated us and my mother rooms in DIFFERENT BUILDINGS!! We said that was qite unacceptabel- we needed to be close to Mum, and ended up sharing a two bedded room at the back of the agency with a delightful view of a back alley. It was fairly clean but poorly equipped [quite unlike the portrayal on the website]. The cleaners need to look under the beds though. The bathroom was tiny. West Hampstead is a great location, but this is not the place to stay.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple