“Wonderful Experiance”
Review of Haymarket Hotel

Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #8 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 29, 2010

We transferred here from the sister Soho Hotel, we stayed there one night and they couldn't accomodate us for a second night (on short notice) i'm so glad we got to experiance both hotels as I thoroughly enjoyed this, we hadn't planned on staying a second night so after a dash to Selfridges for a change of clothes we arrived a bit bedraggled after getting caught in rain and I mentioned to my husband as we were being shown to our room that I didn't have my hair straightners with me. 5 mins after entering our room there was a knock at the door and the member of staff who had shown us toour room presented me with a pair of straightners, I was blown away by the service!! I loved watching TV in the bathtub and the room service was amazing....a thoroughly enjoyable stay!!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SEfamily

Reviewed December 29, 2010

Hi,
This was our second December stay at this Firmdale hotel (of which we are big fans).
We really love the look, design and feel of these hotels, and the Haymarket surely lives up to expectations.
But I would say that it really comes down to the room. We have now tried staying in 3 different rooms - on both our stays we have moved.
This time, we got the room on the top floor looking down on Haymarket itself (we also had this room on our first stay). It is la lovely room, but quite noisy due to some air vent (?) that goes over the roof - could also be something connected to the elevators, I don't know, but every now and then there is a loud noise that continues for a few minutes. This goes on all day, all night, so if you are a light sleeper I will not recommend this room.
After one night in this room we moved to one of the ground floor rooms, which was truly lovely. You have to get over the fact that people walk by just outside the window, but we did not mind - after all, you can just draw the curtains. The room is big and airy and very cosy, and silent too.
The hotel itself is lovely - the breakfast is delicious, the bar is a great place to be at night, the drawing rooms are so cosy for tea or a drink, and the swimming pool must be one of the best hotel pools I've ever seen and location can't be beat. But what really sets this hotel apart is the staff - they will do everything they can to ensure that you have a wonderful stay.
We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank katrineCPH
Reviewed November 14, 2010

My boyfriend and I went to the Haymarket Hotel for afternoon tea. This was just lovely - great service, great ambiance and lovely furnishings. What was most amazing were the scones - these were potentially the best in London. Well worth a visit!!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 189elisabethw
Reviewed October 28, 2010

Was in London for the first time with family (spouse + young teenager and pre-teen) before heading to Israel and I can say this hotel was part of the fantastic experience we had visiting the city -- everything about our stay was impeccable.

As we arrived mid-morning our room wasn't ready when we checked in, but the gracious staff at the front desk offered to put us into another room "to shower and freshen up" while ours was being prepared (I can’t recall ever having an offer like that from any other hotel before). We declined and instead left our bags and explored the area for a few hours, and quickly discovered the hotel couldn't be more central to things we wanted to see (never mind only 2 blocks to the Piccadilly Tube station for sights farther away). The entire theatre district is amazing and the Haymarket is in the heart of it. Furthermore, the staff recommendations for nearby restaurants for dinner were bang-on for our tastes.

Generally speaking, our room was roomy and great and the bed was comfortable; the pool was a definite treat for the kids after long days of sightseeing; and the restaurant/bar is excellent (especially the breakfasts). But what made this hotel for us was the service. I’m typically too focused on work to notice the little things when I travel on business, but as this was a family vacation I wanted everything to be perfect. From the doormen, to the concierge, to the front desk attendants, to the incredibly friendly restaurant/bar staff, everyone was extremely welcoming and helpful and they could give any 5-star hotel in the world a run for its money in terms of customer service. If all Firmdale hotels have such impeccably trained and attentive staff, then I have found my new favorite hotel chain.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank Snowjob22
Reviewed September 28, 2010

I couldn't recommend this hotel more highly. We stayed 3 nights with my husband's parents (who stayed 4 nights) and never encountered a wrong note. Where to start? The decor somehow manages to be inventive and cutting edge but cozy and inviting at the same time. There is a big focus on interesting combinations of colours and textiles and a mixture of styles; a less deft execution would look fussy and conjested but somehow it all works at the Haymarket. In addition to looking great our room (essentially a junior suite) was spacious and well appointed. The beds were very comfortable and the bathroom was large and luxurious--even had a TV to watch in the bath. The service was impeccable--friendly and attentive. When somehow our morning newspaper request didn't get inputted into the system the desk clerk offered to go out and buy us a newspaper! The breakfasts (included) were sumptuous, really the best I've ever had in a British hotel. We also dined in Brumus one night and although it isn't Michelin star material the food was really very good and much better than one generally finds in boutique hotels. Again, the service was excellent. The location is also very central and perfect for anyone attending the theatres and is close to the National Gallery and many major attractions and shopping. The pool is really beautiful and something unique in an urban boutique hotel.

Our stay at the Haymarket was part of a gift for my mother-in law for a landmark birthday. My in-laws who are in their seventies and aren't usually impressed with design or "hipness" in a hotel absolutely loved it and couldn't stop raving about what a great "travel agent" I am for finding it. I'd recommend it highly as a treat for someone special--they will be impressed with your good taste and you won't suffer a moment of anxiety worrying that something will go wrong. Yes, the Haymarket is pricey but I really felt the money was well spent. I've stayed in more expensive places that didn't impress me as much. We took advantage of a special offer that allows you to stay Sunday night for half price which made it more affortable.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank Torontotraveller39
Reviewed August 3, 2010

The design of the Haymarket hotel is modern and elegant. Guests are made to feel comfortable and relaxed in this little haven in central London. The hotel has all the amenities you would expect for a hotel of its class. We were upgraded to a junior suite on arrival and our room was fairly spacious for central London. The bed was extremely comfortable with lovely linen and there was no noise from the street below - good soundproofing. The room service selection was good. The bathroom was fairly standard, but very clean and had everything you need. The pool area is very relaxing, we had cocktails from the bar (which unfortunately were horrible) but enjoyed chilling out.. Breakfast was good with a reasonable choice - but nothing extraordinary. We also took afternoon tea which was fantastic. The hotel is in a great location for theatres, Trafalgar & Leicester Sq, Covent Garden etc all in easy walking distance. I would defiantly stay in this hotel again (as a treat as it was quite expensive) and would be keen to try others from the same chain.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
2  Thank Edwina_93
Reviewed August 2, 2010

We have stayed at the Haymarket twice at New Year 2008 and 2009 and both visits were excellent. The Haymarket is brilliantly situated for theatres and many other venues. Only one or two minutes' walk to Trafalgar Square. The interior design of the hotel's bedrooms and central areas is chic, quirky in parts and beautifully done. The service and staff are excellent as was breakfast. On our last visit we had dinner in the restaurant, Brummus, which was also excellent. Swimming pool is fabulous - though we didn't get chance to try it. Have also been to the Haymarket on a separate occasion for afternoon tea which we had in the conservatory area - again excellent. My advice is to try one of the Firmdale group rather than the larger more impersonal hotels - it is so worth it. The Firmdale Group is now my hotel of choice and having tried two within the group would love to try the others particularly the newest one in New York (hint hint if husband is reading this review!). Congratulations to the owners-designer who have managed to produce stunning design combined with first class and unobtrusive service.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple