“Best night's sleep ever!”
Review of Haymarket Hotel

Haymarket Hotel
Ranked #10 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 18, 2014

This hotel is stunning! I adored the decor and our junior suite was a good size and impeccably maintained.
Our room faced Haymarket but was double glazed and completely silent. The bed was huge and incredibly comfortable. I haven't slept that well in years!
We also enjoyed a drink at the bar, where the staff were fantastic.
We would definitely recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CornishCat

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We have just stayed for a 2 night weekend break in a standard room on the 4th floor - room 400.
Room - clean, quiet, excellent shower, toiletries and TV. Also the usually priced mini bar.

Leisure - excellent pool and small but well fitted gym. My wife swims regularly but would have preferred the water a little warmer. This area was quiet and we saw no one else in the pool or gym while we were there - there is a bathroom but no changing room in the pool area. There is a fridge in the gym with free bottles of water and coconut water which is not free.

Dining

We used the on site restaurant for breakfast, and an afternoon tea and dinner.
Food and service was calm, relaxed and excellent

All the staff we encountered were friendly, helpful and pleasant and spoke to you by name when they saw you.

Location
Excellent - it was lovely leaving the phantom of the opera on a windy valentines night and just walking over the road to the hotel. 2 mins walk from Trafalgar Square and close to oxford street, the river and covent garden - all within a few minutes walk

We would certainly stay here again for a special occasion

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank golowys
Reviewed February 14, 2014

Chosen because of Tripadvisor reviews, its proximity to Shaftesbury Avenue and the hotel swimming pool. If you read nothing else, read paragraphs 3 and 4 re the type and availability of the pool.

We arrived a little before 2pm but our room was ready and our welcome was warm. Room 400 (one of the “cheap” ones) was ideal – well above the roar of the Haymarket traffic and very well insulated. Comfortable bed, excellent walk-in shower, safe (though on both the small and low side), choice of towels, robes etc. Plenty of hanging and drawer space. Comfortable sofa; good lighting. Free internet, which is a welcome change from some earlier reviews. BUT no tea/coffee facilities, on the basis, apparently, that the tea they use is of such good quality that the makers don’t want just any Tom, Dick or Harry or their partners making their own tea but rather should have it brought up, at cost, by room service. We were given two small gifts but, to be honest, would have preferred tea/coffee making facilities. No free mineral water, either, except at turn-down. Lesser hotels seem to manage this without any problem. Expensive mini-bar, though that is tautology.

The pool is outstanding and just the right temperature for serious swimming. Most indoor hotel pools are on the warm side. The pool is 1.5m deep in its entirety (5ft if you prefer) which is comparatively deep (most are nearer 1.3m) and thus likely to be a bit challenging for shorter, less confident swimmers who may prefer to feel that the bottom is not far away. No rail round the edge except at one end where the warm water comes out in an attractive spray. Unsuitable for non-swimming children. I used the pool twice and had it to myself on both occasions. Unused on the three occasions when I was viewing with others. I suppose that the fact that it is very much a swimmers’ rather than a bathers’ pool may have something to do with it.

A number of contributors have commented strongly on the fact that, during their stay, the pool and surrounding area were not available because of a function (and others have commented on the noise levels created by such functions). So, if you are thinking of choosing the hotel because of its pool, YOU MUST RING IN ADVANCE AND CHECK WHETHER THE POOL WILL BE AVAILABLE DURING YOUR VISIT. To give them their due, I had the chance to visit the hotel, and others nearby, before this visit, and the very helpful receptionist not only showed me round the facilities but warned me to ring in advance to check re the pool. The pool is featured on the website and it is reasonable to assume, therefore, that it will be available to guests except in exceptional, unforeseen circumstances. (I still can’t get over the thought of a function, presumably with alcohol, near a swimming pool, but perhaps I am missing something.)

Two vegan daughters joined us for dinner on our second evening and I cannot fault the service and care that was taken to ensure that their needs were met.

A reviewer in 2012, awarding four blobs, said he wished that there was a “four and a half blobs category”. I have said the same in the past though in relation to 3.5 blobs, given the uneven jump from average to very good. In our case, I think four blobs would be churlish, although the fact that a hotel is classed as 5 star does not give it the right to expect one of the higher ratings. On the basis of the excellent pool, quiet room, dinner experience and general courtesy of the staff, I feel that 5 blobs is just about right. I would like to feel, however, that the hotel takes on board the critical comments made by a number of guests re the non-availability of the pool. It is included on the hotel website and presumably adds something to the hotel’s attraction and therefore tariffs. It seems only reasonable, therefore, for potential guests to be alerted to the possibility that this key facility might not be available.

Room Tip: Upper rooms are probably quieter; some have commented that ground floor rooms are overlooked. If y...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Alex450212
Reviewed January 30, 2014

One of the top notel to stay in London.
Great service to help you for all problems. Rooms are large and very clean, bathrooms wonderfull.
We strongly suggest if you want to have a perfect stay in London!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank John P
Reviewed January 28, 2014

This is my second stay at The Haymarket Hotel and I can honestly say that I went out of my way to go and stay there, such is the quality of the experience in this property.

On my first stay I stumbled upon the hotel and had one of the best hotel experiences I had had anywhere. The second time was no mistake and no lesser an experience, although far too short.

Starting with the staff, so polite, thoughtful and friendly. Being a hotelier I always like to speak with the staff about their property, company and experience and I received only the most complimentary feedback on Firmdale as a company, the family that own the company, the property and the management.

As on my last stay I stayed in one of the rooms facing the Theatre across the street, whose name escapes me now. These rooms look out onto the street and give a great sense of life passing by in London, although the double glazed windows keep out all of the noise and let the light in. The rooms themselves are delightful. Very British, which for me, is the charm of this hotel. There is a certain warmth in the way that the rooms are made up that makes me feel very comfortable in the space. A comfortable bed (plus lavender pillow spray for a good nights sleep), a full lounge suite in the room and a large 4 point bathroom really add to the pleasure of spending time in the room.

I also appreciate their minibar, where thought has been given to providing guests with something interesting, rather than the same old rubbish many hotels provide. The minibar is not dead, provided that it is stocked with things that are useful to the guest, as proved at this property.

A real highlight is Brumish, the restaurant and bar at the hotel. Fabulous drinks - quality beverages with creativity and flair and bar staff that can hold a conversation always add to the experience in this restaurant. Clearly it is also popular with the locals as I noted on both of my stays. Moreso the restaurant. A Great menu with creative options and the opportunity for chef to show his passion for food. Everything I have tried here has been first class, resulting in empty plates. Breakfast is a standout, again because of the comfort and ambience of the restaurant and staff, but also because of the way the food is presented. Their breakfast buffet, although I always choose a la carte due to the inviting menu options, always looks sumptuous, and there is just something about the way the food looks in London that makes it all the more enticing. Great young staff from all over the world who are all ready and capable of holding a conversation. I can say that I look forward to dining here. It's more than just a meal.

If wanting to get out, the hotel is well located to be able to walk pretty much anywhere you may like to go. In my two stays I walked to Soho, Covent Garden, Piccadilly and Mayfair. Also conveniently located near Jermyn St for the perfect opportunity to be the dapper gent! The concierge is very knowledgeable on the local area and was able to send us in the direction of a couple of 'off the map' local pubs in the near vicinity. The Red Bus tours also stop just around the corner at Trafalgar Square. Pall Mall is also close by.

I am not surprised that the property is rating so highly on Tripadvisor. I would like to try some of the other hotels in the Firmdale group, but then I would have to miss out on The Haymarket. Simply can't do that I'm afraid.

Thanks for another great experience!

Room Tip: I have always stayed in the rooms overlooking the Theatre.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Im_a_travlin_fool
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We have just recently spent an amazing night in the Haymarket hotel, which was one of my most remarkable luxury experiences ever. Working also for a top level property in London, my demands are usually much higher than average customer's, but this services undoubtedly goes above and beyond all my expectations. Usual things (like welcoming staff, helpful service, blahblah...) can happen to you in any other 5-star environment, but feeling touched so many ways (like Haymarket does) is still very rare and unreachable on money. Beginning from the check in (special thanks to Helen for the nice room, which had an outstanding design) until the very end, we were treated as special guests. I would particularly mention about our fantastic room service breakfast (served accurately by Predrag and Viki), which made us smiling all day long. Once again thank you for your kindness and the extraordinary service!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 27, 2014

We have stayed at nearly all of the Firmdale hotels and every single one has been truly excellent. We had a one bedroom suite at the Haymarket that was gorgeous. It was beautifully decorated and pristine. I could have lived in it!
The bar has a lovely atmosphere and I recommend a Tigers Eye cocktail.
The staff were super helpful and I would definitely recommend this hotel

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family