“Fab Hotel but shame about the location”

Radisson Blu Edwardian New Providence Wharf Hotel
Ranked #87 of 1,067 Hotels in London
“Fab Hotel but shame about the location”
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel the weekend Olly Murs performed at the O2. We arrived to check in at 10.30am (early) and luckily our room was already ready for us and the friendly staff were happy to let us check in at no extra cost. Unfortunately, we didn't get a river view as requested but the staff explained this was because they had no twin rooms with a river view. So if you are wanting to book a room with a river view, then don't book a twin room.

The hotel itself was lovely. The rooms were very clean and spacious. The beds were comfy, although the pillows weren't. The bathroom included a bath and shower which we found to be a bonus.

The breakfast area was very nice with a view of the river. The food was of a high standard and well worth the money. Hot breakfast, different meats and cheeses, cereal, fruit and a range of breads. There was something for everyone.

The only downside to this hotel was the location of it; even though it is opposite the O2 it isn't that convenient as there is no bridge to cross nearby. You have to take the DLR to Canning Town, then the Jubilee line to North Greenwich which takes about 15 mins with the changes and is extremely busy after the concert. The nearest tube stations to the hotel are East India/Blackwall which are both about 5 mins walk away. The city centre of London is about 40 minutes away by tube so not a good place to stay if you want to be in central London.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Bev H
JaneTones, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian New Providence Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding the hotel and staff we have here. I am so pleased to see you enjoyed your stay overall and I do hope you enjoyed the Olly Murs concert.

As you say, unfortunately we are across the river form the 02 which means either a taxi journey or using the tube for a fifteen minute journey. I am sorry to read you were caught in the rush after the concert however there are usually plenty of trains ensuring the smallest wait possible.

Regarding the location for central London, whilst we are in zone 2 of the underground network, using the DLR allows easy access to both Bank and Tower Gateway for attractions there as well as connections to other underground lines going west. I am sorry you felt this too far however we do feel the river views offered in our public spaces as well as the extra room in the bedrooms helps to make up for this.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you be planning any future visits to the area as I would be delighted to assist with any travel arrangements or special requests you may have.

Jane Tones

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just off of Canary Wharf, but away from the noise, this hotel looks over the Thames and onto the o2 Arena, so it’s a nice view during the evening.

The bed is extremely comfortable and the bathroom is very well set up – wet room and big bath in one of the standard rooms.

The spa is very nice and relaxing and the gym is better than most big chain clubs, so very good for a hotel.

The food in the restaurant is very nice – a little pricey, but I think it’s worth it.

As you would expect, the concierge is very knowledgeable about London and can give you advice off the tip of his tongue.

When we left the hotel, it was in the middle of a tropical storm. The staff took out luggage to the taxi they ordered for us and then walked us out with an umbrella.

Excellent staff and excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Thames - Great views!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
JaneTones, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian New Providence Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

I am delighted to read of your five star experience whilst staying with us recently. I will certainly pass your compliments onto the staff who I am pleased were able to give you all the advice you needed as well as ensure you were not affected by the weather.

I am delighted you made such good use of the facilities in the hotel including the East River Spa offering complimentary use of the facilities to all hotel guests. Perhaps next time, you might have a look at the treatments on offer as well.

I am pleased you were impressed by the location away from the hustle and bustle of London life. If you are returning to London in the future, I do hope you think of us. Please feel free to contact me via the hotel should you have any special requests.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I booked this for a 2 day event at the O2. It's a very nice hotel, clean, comfy and fabulous breakfast. It was really hard to find due to roadworks and road closures.

I had read it was opposite the O2.. And not knowing the O2 and the area didn't realise there was a river!!

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the New Providence Wharf Hotel. I am pleased you were impressed by the rooms we have to offer as well as the breakfast you were able to enjoy.

I do apologise you were unaware we are not on the same side of the river as the 02 arena. In actual fact, there are very few hotels over on that side! Despite not being able to walk, we are only a £15 taxi journey from the 02 or two stops on the tube only taking 15 minutes in total to reach your destination.

I do hope, despite the river impinging on your journey, that you were able to enjoy the river views from both the Azura bar and restaurant as well as the East River Spa. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you be in the area in the future. I would be happy to ensure you are once again well looked after.

isle of wight england
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We stayed recently at the Radisson as we were going to the o2 for a concert and it was conveniently located across the river from it.Loved the hotel,its feel,the staff and the room.We upgraded to a business class room and it was very comfortable,next time we stay we are going to ask for a river view room which i am sure would be great.Reception staff very helpful and efficent.Had pre concert snack and drinks in the bar which was very enjoyable.Again staff very attentive.My wife mentioned that she would be more than happy to drink in there on her own,something she would not do in very many other hotels.Very relaxed atmosphere.We had a great time and would go back tomorrow as it is the type of hotel we love to stay in thanks to the attentive staff and quality of the facilities.

Room Tip: if you can afford it upgrade to business class room and also see if you can get a river view one.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your fantastic recommendation of the hotel.

I am delighted you and your wife both felt welcomed and comfortable whilst using the facilities.

I would highly recommend upgrading to or booking one of our river view deluxe bedrooms - these look directly towards the 02 arena and also offer a large amount of space to relax as well as a roll top bath to enjoy the views.

I hope you both enjoyed the concert at the 02 arena and do hope you will be back with us in the near future. Should you require any help with your second visit, please do let me know via the hotel and I would be happy to assist.

Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for one night as seeing one direction at O2 that night. The rooms were very spacious, clean, very comfortable. Very modern and stylish rooms. Excellent location for O2, short taxi ride. Extremely large bathroom, three plasma tvs- one in each room as we had a one bedroom suite. Staff enquired when we wanted sofa bed turning down for the kids and were happy to return to do so later. Well stocked minibar. Gorgeous breakfast buffet, lots of choice. A lovely view of the O2 x

• Stayed April 2013
Dear Guest,

I am thrilled to read your five star review of the New Providence Wharf Hotel.

I am so pleased you enjoyed the space in the one bedroom suite - certainly makes things easier when travelling as a family, we think! With the living/dining room doubling up as a second bedroom this allows a bit of peace and quiet for everybody to relax and enjoy themselves as well as the huge bathroom offered.

I hope you all enjoyed the concert at the 02 arena and I would be delighted to invite you back when you are next in the area. If I can be of any assistance for your second visit, please do ensure to contact me via the hotel.

West Midlands
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We booked a twin room for 2 nights at the weekend to see Olly Murs at the O2. We managed to get an early check-in but they had no twins left which was unfortunate, but a nice big bed with views of the building opposite was a let down! Reception gave us a map and directions to get back into the city with a short walk to the DLR, we did not fancy walking back at night so took a cab from Canary Wharf which was about £7. Breakfast was fab with lots of choices the usual hot and cold buffet items but hot pancakes and maple syrup was a real treat and we were looked after fabulously by Luis.
On the saturday went to the spa which we had booked 2 months earlier their It Takes Two experience, we were met by an unfriendly receptionist who showed us round but proceeded to tell us there were no robes as they were still been washed! As an open plan spa this was not acceptable and people were going around with towels around them which was not very pleasant! The relaxation room which boasts of great views of the O2 was also disappointing, it was not big enough there were 6 hotbeds and only 2 of them had that view the rest you looked at buildings opposite! The most disappointing thing about the spa was after our massage which was very good our therapist then proceeded to start the manicure straight away whilst I still had my eye mask on, not allowing me to re-adjust and come round she filed my nails very short and then asked me to choose a varnish without looking at any colours. I asked if I could look and she said we only have 4 colours so there's no need, I chose red which smudged because I then had to get dressed whilst nails were wet! I would not use this spa again I'm afraid :(
Reception booked us a taxi to get to O2 but we couldn't order a return which was unfortunate I think they are missing an ideal opportunity. Advice would be to use minicabit an app that let's you book in advance a pick up time outside the Tesco express where it seems all the cabs collect people from, just don't expect to hail a cab as they are all booked. Cost was £16 very reasonable seeing as we were stuck for a while in traffic trying to get off car park our driver rang us when he arrived and knew a short cut so saved about 20minutes of sitting in traffic. Got back to hotel bar had some lovely cocktails followed by a coffee to take to bed to finish off a great weekend.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to provide us your feedback of your recent stay with us. I am pleased to see you were impressed by the hotel and I will certainly pass on your compliments to Luis in the restaurant as he will be delighted to hear you mentioned him.

I am only sorry to hear of your experience at the East River Spa. I will certainly follow this up with the spa manager to ensure no future re-occurences of this nature. If there is a way we can apologise, please do ensure to get in touch as I would be delighted to ensure you are well looked after on a return visit to the hotel.

Cambridgeshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel overnight for my hubby birthday break, room 429 which was a Superior Deluxe King with excellent views over the Thames and the O2. The area and hotel was very easy to find with a security gatehouse on to the complex, after checking in the concierge will collect your car and park safely for £12.50

Hotel it's self is very modern, clean, stylish & classy but not snobby! Staff was courteous, helpful & very smart & professional. We had no problems with any of them they was very very helpful.

Spa facilities is a must, how can such a little gem area be free to hotel guest and hotel guests not use! Well recommend especially the relaxation room, heated beds overlooking the O2 & a good book equals pure bliss! Adequate gym, steam room & sauna, lovely changing rooms facilities & refreshments plentiful too.

Breakfast was inclusive in our rate & very very nice, however I personally think maybe £20 is a little pricey, I know it is London prices and the food was excellent but I think this is a lot of money for breakfast wherever you are.

If you fancy a meal out try Il Bianco Italian restaurant on the roundabout, right opposite the security box, excellent place for good food, ambience & price. This is a very short walk from the hotel, totally safe for walking and secure feeling. When walking back to the hotel turn right (anti clockwise) rather than left to the hotel, its just a short walk around the block giving fantastic views over the Thames.

We really did not want to leave and will definitely be heading back in the future for a chill out weekend.

Also many thanks for the extra treat of birthday platter & card in our room for my husband Steve, this was a nice warming touch.

Thanks for a lovely stress free time Radisson Blu Edwardian New Providence Wharf, keep up the great work!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
EmmaJayneAdams, Front Office Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian New Providence Wharf Hotel, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your five star review. I am delighted you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us and made such good use of the facilities within the hotel.

It's fantastic to see you will be back at the hotel very soon - please get in touch with us to make sure you are well looked after on your return. Any assistance needed, I would be happy to help.

Front Office Manager