Radisson Blu Edwardian New Providence Wharf Hotel
Ranked #145 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Very impressive hotel with friendly staff. We arrived an hour before the advertised check in time (3 pm) hoping that our suite would be ready but were told that it would be at least another 2 hours before we could check in. However we could leave our luggage at reception, and the valet parking sorted out our car. When we returned at 4pm they initally couldn't find a suite for us and asked if we would mind having a different type of room, but as we had booked a suite for my husband and I and our 2 children I said that wasn't acceptable. After a while they found us a suite. We were impressed with the suite ( a bedroom, lounge with sofa bed and bathroom), however the sofa bed hadn't been made up and there were only sufficient towels, mugs and glasses for 2 persons. I rang reception and they said that everything would be sorted in the next hour. An hour and a half later it still hadn't been done so had to speak to reception again - it was eventually done. We had also discovered that the movie package which was part of the deal was not working - again spoke to reception, but it still didn't work.

On our second day I asked again about the movie package and was told that it needed to be activated which they then did.

The beds were really comfortable, especially the sofa bed. The bathroom was the best we have seen, really big with a bath, separate rain shower and TV. The toiletries were in pump containers next to the shower, bath and basin which were really convenient. The only comment I would make about the suite was that there was only 2 electric sockets which was difficult when charging phones, cameras, ipods etc after a day out and also when using the kettle and coffee maker. The other sockets which were used for the table lamps all had round pins (which I had not seen before in british hotels)

The breakfast was superb, good selection and good quality. It was disappointing that after the room had been cleaned on our second day that we only had 2 mugs and glasses left for us, so had to ring and ask for extras again!

At check out I menitoned that we only had one day's use of the movie package instead of 2 days so they refunded one night's car parking for us, which I was happy with. The car parking charge (£12.50 per night) is very reasonable when compared to other London hotels.

The immediate area around the hotel is lovely but the location of the hotel is not really convenient for tourists as we found it a bit of a trek to the DLR station in order to get anywhere, and as mentioned in other reviews it is more suited for business travellers.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of O2 - very impressive at night.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
JaneTones, Guest Relations Manager at Radisson Blu Edwardian New Providence Wharf Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am pleased you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I am sorry however to hear of the problems you had when you arrived to check in. I understand there was a mix up at reception so I must extend my apologies for this. I am glad to see that this was resolved and you got the room that you had originally booked.

I am delighted to read you were still happy to award us a four star review. As you say the one bedroom suites are perfect for a family of up to four people with the living/dining room transforming into a second bedroom when required.

Please do ensure to contact me directly should you be planning any future trips to London. I would be delighted to meet you personally and ensure you are well looked after.

Jane Tones

Write a ReviewReviews (3,988)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Reception is very nice and the entrance is quite impressive. Staff helpful and did there jobs as you would expect. The rooms were spacious and well set up. TV was superb and £££ so gives the impression they don't mind spending money which is good. Bathroom was very good and the shower set up was top drawer. Very happy with stay, good hotel, valet parking, easy access to trains and the O2 arena.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay at the New Providence Wharf Hotel and am pleased to see you made good use of the facilities we have to offer including the valet parking at just £12.50 per night.

I hope you would consider staying a second time if you are travelling in the area. I would be delighted to welcome you back to the hotel personally. Please ensure to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed 2 nights in another hotel in North London then relocated to the Radisson for the next 2. The hotel is a strange walk from either East India or Blackwall DLR as it seems that they have put the front entrance round the back.

The room itself was very good, very well appointed and among the best I've ever stayed at for facilities eg-Nespresso coffee machine, TV in the bathroom, BOSE sound dock. However, the whole hotel experience left us slightly flat as, after our first 2 days in another hotel, we found this hotel lacking charm or character as it is almost certainly dealing mostly with business travellers for Canary Wharf.

The area around the hotel is lovely new landscaping, in company with all the redevelopment of the docklands but again lacking somewhat in character. There is a shop a couple of minutes walk away but there is no pub in the area that we could find. Canary Wharf is walkable in 10-15 minutes but, again this is an area of no soul or interest to tourists,

Don't get me wrong, this is a very good hotel but definitely more for business people than a family and it's location should be taken into account before booking. Although it is close to DLR for those who want to travel in to the city at night, we found, by the time we had done all the tourist things during the day, the last thing we could be bothered with was travelling on trains again at night.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback after your stay with us at the New Providence Wharf Hotel. I am pleased you were impressed with the facilities in the room.

I am however sorry you were unimpressed by the location of the hotel, based just outside Canary Wharf. Whilst we are a little way from central London, we do feel that Canary Wharf does offer many bars, restaurants as well as a large shopping centre. There is also a well reputed pub called The Gun just ten minutes walk from the hotel which our reception team would have been happy to give directions to.

If you are travelling to the area in future, please do ensure to contact me so that I can ensure you are comfortable and have all the details regarding the local area that you may require.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

A bright modern, clean, and professional hotel. The staff were friendly and helpful and what they didn't know about the area, looked up for us. Nothing was to much of a problem. The room was clean and of a decent size. There was ample storage and the bed was both large and very comfortable. The décor was a little different with modern art on the walls but that just kept the general feel of the hotel flowing. Talking of flowing, we did have one complaint. When we took a shower in the otherwise brilliant rain shower, the drain soon filled and the water started to flow across the bathroom floor. Okay when it's your own grime but when the contents of previous guests start to come to the top, leaving you standing in a soapy scum, it isn't pleasant. having said that, the front desk were more than helpful and couldn't apologise enough for it happening. Had we have been staying longer they would have moved us but as it was only a one night stay, it wasn't something they could instantly remedy for us. I guess this is a one off and nothing for you to concern yourself with if you are thinking of booking this otherwise great hotel. They have the most extensive breakfast buffet I have seen in years and it is all of a very high quality. We enjoyed the bar after we came back after our night out and again the staff were great and as hotels bars go, it was a good place to kick back and relax after a hectic evening out across the water at the O2.

The hotel is just off of the A13 at Blackwall and has a DLR station (Blackwall) about 5 minutes walk away. You can see the hotel on the left as you arrive from the London direction as you approach the station on the train. The DLR has good connections to the rest of the London transport system so you aren't really to far from anywhere, especially the East End and Central London. You are a couple of stops on the DLR from the cable car that 'flys' you to the O2 and if you fancy a bus ride right in to central London, the the 15 runs every few minutes during then week, a little more intermittent at weekends, but still a good service and a fun and cheap way to see and get into town.

Would i stay here again? Yes, without a doubt. In fact, we are back in June when we go to see Mrs Browns Boys at the O2 and we can't wait.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views across the river to the O2. Try for one of those rooms as the others views fro...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank SteveBishop.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I am pleased you were happy to give us a four star rating.

I am happy you were impressed with the location of the hotel. It sounds like you made good use of the transport links around the hotel. We are of course on hand to provide any further information you may need.

I will extend my apologies regarding the drain in the bathroom. This is unfortunately a one-off problem and has been immediately resolved by our maintenance team. I am delighted you already have a second trip booked at the hotel for your visit to the 02 arena. If there are any special requests you may have, I would be more than happy to take care of these for you.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We went back to this hotel after having a good experience the first time. We have tried a couple of hotels in the centre of London, including one claiming to be 5 star but which was anything but and we have found rooms to be very small.

So, returning here we knew what to expect including the fact that you need to make good use of the DLR (Docklands Light Railway) and Underground connections to get into town, this was very simple and slick but it is a 10 minute walk from the nearest DLR Stations, either Blackwall or East India (very little in it distance wise).
Check-in was very smooth and professional and delivered with a smile. On previous visits we had a room with a view across the Thames to the O2 Arena but this time not so good, as we looked out over the car parks and DLR. That was a pity, but the room was nice and big, very clean with a bathroom with shower and bath, lovely to soak aching limbs after a long day in town.
We also got a call from the front desk later to check that everything was okay - nice touch.
We had a king size bed that was huge and comfortable, I could have done with more pillows though, one per person is stingy.

The great thing about this hotel for us is how calm and relaxed it is, very quiet, spacious and no noise from other residents - lovely!

After a good nights sleep it was down to breakfast, again in a calm and relaxed dining room with views across the river. The staff were very attentive making sure we had what we needed. Breakfast itself was a buffet style approach that offered something for everyone and was of a standard expected of a 4 star hotel - very nice.

Checkout was handled professionally and once again with a smile - it makes such a difference. After that it was a 10 minute walk to the DLR, jump on a train to Bank, change on to the Underground and in 3 stops you are in Covent Garden, no fuss.

A hotel courtesy bus to and from the DLR would be a excellent addition to the hotel's services. (One for the hotel management - if this service is available we certainly weren't made aware of it)

Would definitely stay here again, the room, space and standard of service are very good but most of all it's the restful nature and feeling of the hotel that makes the travel on the DLR & Underground well worth the effort - peace and quiet are priceless!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the O2 arena
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your second stay with us and preferred our hotel over more central locations. As you say whilst you do need the use of the DLR to take you into central London, this is only a twenty minute journey.

Thank you for your suggestion regarding a shuttle. For your information, on weekdays we do run a shuttle up into Canary Wharf where you can connect to the Jubilee line, which also goes into central London.

Regarding your request for extra pillows, we do in fact keep extra pillows in the wardrobe of each room if any guests require them, however I am sorry you were not made aware of this. It is always worth asking us if you have any special requests as we will always try to fulfill all requirements.

If you are returning to London for a future visit, please do ensure to contact me directly to ensure all your special requests are properly catered for.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for 2 nights for business purposes. I really liked the interior - looked very modern and spacious.

The room itself was of decent size - a big comfy bed, TV, radio, iPod playing dock, etc. You also get tea/coffee making facilities and a mini bar. The bathroom was a big as well with a bath tub and a walk-in shower.

Critical comments:
- the person who checked me in didn't give me any information about the hotel (free shuttle bus to Canary Wharf, where the breakfast is served and at what times, etc). However, I should say that my checking out experience was very positive.
- taking a shower was a bit of a challenge as I believe the drain was blocked so you can only spend 3 minutes before you flood the bathroom and taking a shower in the bath tub is a challenge as well as there is nowhere to mount the shower head.
- no cookies/sweets in the room.
- shower gels, soaps, shampoos were of decent size, however, the scent choice was a bit odd as you end up smelling like cough medicine.
- found a bit weird that the wardrobe was located in the bathroom.

Overall, I really liked the hotel, however, I think there is some room for improvement.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your four star rating from your recent stay at the New Providence Wharf Hotel. I am pleased you were impressed with the design of the hotel. We ae only five years old therefore pride ourselves on the cleanliness and modern luxury we are able to offer our guests.

I am however sorry to hear you were not told of all the facilities we have to offer when you checked in. I have spoken to the front desk team to impose the importance of introducing new guests to the services we have. I must also apologise regarding the maintenance issue in the bathroom. This is a rare instance which we will have resolved immediately.

If you are returning to the area for business in the near future, please do ensure to contact me via the hotel to ensure we can look after you properly next time. I would be pleased to meet you and introduce myself.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Great business hotel, very shiny and modern. The rooms are an excellent size considering this is a central london hotel , lovely bathrooms with separate rain shower . Very comfortable and ideal for Canary Wharf with a free shuttle that dropped me to the door of my office. Great for business , I'm not convinced it would be all that great for a leisure break even if going to the O2 as whilst you can see it it is still a dlr and tube ride to get there....and weekends in Canary Wharf is a bit like a ghost town experience

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

I am delighted you were happy to award us your five star rating. Thank you for your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and were impressed by the complimentary shuttle offered to take you up to Canary Wharf.

If you are returning to us in the near future for any other business trips, please do ensure to get in touch with me directly as I would be pleased to greet you at the hotel.