“Excellent”

Dolphin House Serviced Apartments
Ranked #343 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 21, 2010

This was the second time we have stayed at Dolphin House and, again, we were impressed with the accommodation.

Dolphin Square is set in a quiet neighbourhood a couple of stops on the underground away from all the attractions and crowds - a great location.

We stayed in a one bedroom apartment, and the bedroom is far bigger than is usually found in a central London hotel, with a huge bed and high quality linen. Together with a sitting area and kitchenette, we found the apartment a relaxing place to come back to after a weekend of busy sightseeing. Breakfasts in the Bar were good too with friendly service.

All in all, excellent value for money. We'll be back!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Runners_wife
Write a ReviewReviews (1,297)

Reviewed September 17, 2010

We stayed here for a long weekend back in July, It was very easy to find, just minutes away from the tube station. Our room was fantastic it had everything we needed. Great big room, loads of wardrobe space, spacious bathroom with bath, and a huge bed.

Lovely pool and gym which we used one morning, they supplied everything. Couldn't have asked for more. Perfect for anybody looking for a weekend away in London.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chloe3011
Reviewed August 30, 2010

We always stay here when in London and were not disappointed. There were a few minor reasons why the service was not up to its usual high standard - when we talked to the Manager Wayne and expressed our displeasure he went to great efforts to put everything right - we were very satisfied with the outcome - Thank you Wayne - excellent customer service!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2010

I stay at Dolphin House serviced apartments regularly for business purposes, sometimes for weeks and months at a time. I also stay in hotels around the country so I can compare it very well to all other hotels I've stayed in. The apartments are roomy, clean and comfortable and the beds are HUGE with quality bedding. There is no airconditioning but the sash windows let in a lovely breeze from the internal gardens. The staff are always friendly and helpful. Unlike other hotels, and as it's self catering, the place is pretty quiet at night and they dont offer room service or other hotel type perks, but there is a bar, restaurant, pool and gym. The location is great with a shopping arcade, cash machine and post box right outside. It's a quiet residential area but very close to London city centre with bus and tube just around the corner. For the peace and quiet, comfortable beds, nice staff and great facilities, I wont stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank lanaby
Reviewed August 25, 2010

Stayed here for 3 nights in a one bedroom suite with my 2 kids (11 & 9). I like reading reviews when I plan my holidays. Chose this hotel because I like having space. Having a kitchen is also a major plus. There's a Tesco Express near by. The option of eating out or staying in is open, because of the cooking facilities in the room.

The tube is a 5 min walk. Quiet & safe residential area. The only thing I see as a disadvantage is that there are no shops nearby, a few caf'es & restaurants around. So if you want action, this is not the place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank keyistoenjoylife
Reviewed August 22, 2010

Late nights and early morning starts at work necessitated a two night stay-over in a central location. I really can't fault the welcome and service I received at Dolphin House - friendly staff, a super room and great facilities certainly helped with the stress incurred at work! Thank you!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
nmchalk, General Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2010

Thank you very much indeed for your comments.

I hope we see you back again very soon indeed.

Neil Miller-Chalk

Reviewed August 20, 2010

Our family stayed at a 2-br, 2-ba apartment at the Dolphin House for 5 nights in August. This is the last of the 11 accomodations we stayed at during our UK tour. The only small positives of this hotel are that the apartment was spacious (although very awkwardly laid out and furnished) and the location was about half an hour walk to certain tourist sites such as Buckingham palace, Parliament, Westminster Abbey and the Imperial War Museum (though the hotel is in the middle of residential area so it is somewhat boring).

Our experiences at the Dolphin House were unfortunately very negative:
- The hotel charges £5 per day for WIFI which is supposed to be connected through the TV/Cable system. We spent quite a while following the manual provided in the apartment which was useless. The hotel staff then checked the system and confirmed it was broken! The LCD TVs and the remote controls were also difficult to operate.

- The apartment was extremely dark especially at night, with only a couple of dim energy saving lights capped under very dark lamp shades in each room. We tried to take the lamp shades out which only helped a little. Reading anywhere in the apartment was very uncomfortable due to the poor lighting. When discussed with the hotel staff, they just smiled and did not do anything to help.

- We ate at the hotel restaurant on the first night, the food was okay with a huge price tag. The menu and the blackboard inside the restaurant indicated Prix Fix Meals, upon enquiry we were told they were not available:( We proceeded to order two kids' burgers, a pasta dish, another burger and some non-alcoholic drinks. The bill came to a whopping almost £70! Needless to say we did not return the rest of our stay.

- On the second day, the cleaning people forgot to take with them the bag of trash. Upon us entering the apartment, the bag of trash was right there in the entry way!

- On the third day, we placed the "dirty" sign on the door which means room cleaning is needed. Upon return we discovered the apartment was not cleaned and someone had replaced the "dirty" sign with "sleepy" (meaning "do not disturb") sign. We had originally thought we might have forgot to put out the correct sign, but upon further examination we had somehow ended up with two "sleepy" signs and one "scuffy" sign. Prior to that we had one "sleepy" sign, one "dirty" sign, and one "scuffy" sign.

- Only two tiny bottles of toilettries (one shampoo and the other shower gel) and one small soap was provided during our entire stay. Fortunately we had a spare soap so was using that at the sink. However, on day 4 the cleaning folk took our soap from the sink and never replaced it.

- The layout of the rooms are poor and the furniture layout poorer which left lots of unusable space. One room is equipped with two twin beds, the other with a small double bed that is quite short in length and very uncomfortable for anyone of average height.

- The kitchen is extremely small which can basically only accommodate one person standing in it. The entry way (with another large unused empty closet) on the other hand is much larger than the kitchen. Another example of poor layout and wasted space.

- The only furniture provided in the living room is a sofa (no love seats or armchairs).

- The ceiling light right above stove/cooker had been out since we checked in and it made cooking a bit difficult to see. We requested on the second day of our stay that the bulb be replaced and was told they would call maintenance. No one ever showed up the rest of our stay to attend to it.

- Although washers/dryers were provided free of charge, only six washers and five dryers (and one was out of order during our stay) were installed for the entire apartment complex. These machines were constantly occupied. People ended up taking others' clothes out and just left them on top of the machines.

- The worst of our experiences occurred on our last day at the pool. The information booklet provided in our apartment stated that children are only allowed at the pool 10am-12pm and 2-5pm on M-F, and 9am - 6pm on the weekends. Our children therefore quite looked forward to Saturday when the hours for them were not so limited. On Saturday my husband arrived at the pool with the children at about quarter past 2pm. I went later to join them at around 3pm. Shortly after that a facilities staff rudely asked the kids to get out of the pool, he then turned to me and basically said "children hours are 4 to 7pm, they cannot be here right now" and walked away. No apologies, no explanations. Five minutes later a manager type came out and barked at me across the pool asking us to leave. Furiously I requested to see the new timetable which they were not able to produce, I questioned why the information booklet in the apartment was not replaced with the correct one, no answer. I then asked twice why did they not say anything to my husband when he arrived with the kids nearly an hour before me (my husband is Caucasian and I am a petite Asian woman), again no reply. In fact the manager was so defensive, he completely overreacted and did not want to continue the discussion at one point. Do I think they discriminate? Not necessarily. But do I think they acted based on stereotypes? I believe there is some truth in that. At any rate it is the hotel's fault that they failed to inform us the new hours and they certainly behaved very badly towards us in enforcing the rules (which we were unaware of). My children were traumatized by this experience and did not want to return to the pool because of the "scary man" the rest of our stay.

- As we had to leave for the airport quite early the final day, we requested a morning wake-up call the night before. Did we ever receive the wake-up call? Of course not! We called the front desk and were told that the manager had made the call, we then spoke with the manager who insisted that he had called, although he admitted that he might have called the wrong room!!! When we asked why would a manager making a wake-up call himself and don't they have staff for that sort of tasks? His answer was well we don't do a lot of these calls so he does it himself... Makes sense? Not to me.

By far the worst place we've ever stayed at. Think twice before you book.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
7  Thank paenca

Thank you for your extensive critique. Whilst we do value all feedback, and indeed number of the points you have raised require immediate attention and I have actioned a number of systems to be addressed to ensure they do not happen again, I do feel however that several of your observations are incorrect and unfair, I would therefore welcome the opportunity to respond in my capacity as General Manager of the property.

Dolphin House is a serviced apartment product and not to be confused with a Hotel. Whilst we offer an extensive service compared to that of most of our serviced apartment competitors, like a 24hour reception, we do not offer full hotel services.

Dolphin House is situated in SW1, ten minutes from Oxford Circus on the Victoria tube line. We are set alongside 3.5 acres of gardens and most of my clients prefer the tranquility of Dolphin Square to the hustle and bustle of the West End. I am sorry if you felt our location was not for you and your family.

I am deeply sorry that you experienced problems with your Wi-Fi, and I must admit, we have been experiencing some connectivity issues caused by British Telecom and the local exchange recently. Whilst I have been assured the problem has now been resolved, I am still experiencing some intermittent down time. BT is aware and we have escalated the problem once more.

The TV’s in the apartments are standard Panasonic models and have both cable and free view available. I have been to your apartment today and unfortunately I am unable to identify the problem to which you refer.

I take onboard your comment regarding the lighting; yes we do have energy efficient bulbs fitted (as we are now required to do so) but in my opinion they create a well lit ambience. Should this not have been sufficient for you, my housekeeper keeps a stock of spare lamps that we could had made available to you.

Your comment in regards to our Bar and Grill; I am afraid I consider to be somewhat unjust. Our menu is competitively priced and priced as per our location. It is also considerably lower than the London average. I note though you left a considerable tip.

I have spoken to the Housekeeping Manager regarding the cleaning of your apartment and after investigation I can confirm that your room had definitely had a ‘do not disturb’ sign on the door. The supervisor called your room twice to see if you would be requiring a service that day and got no answer. A Housekeeper is available until 9.30pm each evening and our records show you did not request a clean until the next afternoon.

Your amenities are changed as they are used. IYou stayed in a two bedroom apartment and each bathroom is supplied with a quantity of 50ml amenities, actually larger quantities than you will find in most other properties.

Your comments regarding the layout of your apartment have been noted. Dolphin Square was built in the 1930’s and all of our apartments are of different size and layout. I am sorry if your apartment was not to your expectations, but most of our guests comment on the spacious nature of our apartments and indeed that is why they favour Dolphin House over an hotel.

I am receptive to your feedback in regards to the laundry facilities but must admit that yours is the first comment I received regarding this. I can confirm that all 11 machines are in working order. One point to note though is that the facility is not shared by all of my 165 apartments. My 1st and 2nd floor apartments all have their own washing machines fitted.

As to what you refer to as “the worst of your experiences”, I must sincerely apologize. After investigation, I have been advised that your apartment contained a previous version of our information booklet .This booklet contains the previous children’s swimming pool hours as they have been recently changed. What I find most alarming is that the Sports and Fitness Club Reception allowed you to enter the facilities only to then ask you to leave as the manager thought you had been in the pool for some time. This was not acceptable at all but instead a genuine mistake.

A point to note though, I do take exception to how you claim you were spoken to, my manager’s recollection is that you began to raise your voice at him in a manor he found inappropriate and indeed became deeply offended by the accusations you made. I am sorry you were upset by the situation, but I have a duty of care to my staff and as such I am unable to condone the use of inappropriate language to my staff.