“When location, value, quality and style are valued.”

Dolphin House Serviced Apartments
Ranked #325 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed December 11, 2012

Peerless. If your priorities do not include excessive charges, absurd bling and insincere doormen, but DO include quality, accessibility, cleanliness, efficiency and honest British class, Dolphin House is ideal. Literally metres from Pimlico Tube Station and the No24 bus from St George's square, there is nowhere in London that you cannot get to quickly and easily. The apartments are quiet and cosy in a quite contemporary sense, if you can secure one that overlooks Dolphin Square itself you can wake to birdsong and rustling trees - in the middle of London! It is a short walk to the Palace of Westminster and some of the best pubs in the city. We stayed for two weeks and found it to be quite simply the perfect spot to experience both the city and out into the countryside. As Australians we didn't quite envisage that it isn't very far to anywhere in the UK, besides the fact that their public transport systems are infinitely, infinitely better than anything at home. Minuses are few; wi-fi should not be an extra charge (buy a micro-sim card at Vodafone at Vauxhall Station), the free washing machines and dryers in the basement are too small (I don't mind paying for bigger commercial machines) and the Hotel reception must be clearly differentiated from residential reception (too much ill-feeling results from the latter re-directing jet-lagged customers). I would stay here again in a heart-beat simply because the pluses infinitely outweigh the minuses.

Room Tip: Ask to overlook the square rather than the street.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank John S
WayneMortensen, Front Office Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2012

Thank you for choosing Dolphin House and for taking the time to write your instructive review. We do strive to offer a home away from home - we believe Dolphin House is a special property offering a very different experience to a standard 4star hotel. We are delighted you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to welcoming you back soon.
Sincerely, Wayne Mortensen

Reviewed December 10, 2012

High quality apartment with friendly and efficient service. We didn't make full use of the pool and facilities but the location was great, a short walk to Pimlico tube, the river and easy weekend parking. Greta views over London from the 6th floor.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Voador722
Reviewed December 8, 2012

I used to live in the residential part of Dolphin Square so knew what facilities to expect at the hotel - and they are very good.

I had a room that was of ample size for my short stay needs, with a very comfortable bed and good sized bathroom. The only thing that let the room down was poor lighting in the bed area of the room. As the room was an L shape and there was only 1 ceiling light it was quite dark at one end of the room. Other than that I could not fault the accommodation for the price paid.

The hotel's facilities like the pool and gym are excellent.

The location is just a minute's walk from Pimlico tube and very close to the stop for the number 24 bus for any visitors to London that want to get to Westminster Cathedral, Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament, Whitehall, Trafalgar Square, the National Gallery or Tottenham Court Road.

I would definitely recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms facing into the gardens are nicer than those overlooking Pimlico Academy or the car park.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed in a one bedroom apartment for 4 nights. We liked the fact the apartments were slightly out of the busy touristy areas and the walk to Victoria was only ten minutes and nice flat streets to walk through. There were also boric bikes on the street next to the hotel.
The apartment itself was nicely decorated. The bed was very comfortable. The only problem with the room was that it was either freezing or roasting. There is no air con system. This would probably be a lot more of a consideration if staying in summer. The kitchen was only a sink and a microwave...I had assumed it would of been a bit more then that however..but was better than nothing. Apartments in london are a great idea especially if you want to save a bit of cash on breakfast and stay in one night with a takeaway...highly recommend pimlico curry takeaway.
The gym was very good and although I did not swim the pool looked really good too..an all included free.
The staff were all very polite.
Overall would recommend and we will be going back. I noticed rooms are cheaper when booked in advance too so there are good deals to be had.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gauld
WayneMortensen, Front Office Manager at Dolphin House Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to recommend our property, we are delighted you had such an enjoyable city break. I was sorry to note you experienced problems with the central heating. Please accept our apologies for any discomfort with respect the heating. I will certainly look into the specific issue with your apartment as Dolphin House has an automated heating system that is regulated to the outside temperature. We look forward to welcoming you back; in the meantime please don't hesitate to contact us if we can help you further
Kind Regards,

Reviewed December 2, 2012

These apartments are in a large residential complex on the edge of Pimlico. Its not the easiest part of london to get to - and no real tourist destinations in the immediate vicinity - but for those that don't mind a bit of a wander, its near the Thames, Tate Britain, and beyond to Westminster, south to Vauxhall and north to Victoria. Its only a 5 minute walk to the Pimlico tube station and the same to bus routes.

I stayed for one night, and the booking was upgraded from a studio room to a one bed apartment. Check in and out was efficient. The room itself was of a good size, and the quality of the furniture and fittings were (on the whole) very good too. Single glazed windows, but a quiet neighbourhood. Free wifi with some rates (but make sure you are not charged when you log in - ask reception for a code).

I reported a heating problem, and although someone came to the flat very quickly to check, the promised engineer did not turn up, even after a chase. No apology, no temporary fix - and it was a very cold evening, so I had to go elsewhere to work and eat. For that reason, I can't give this property any more than an "average" score - otherwise it could have been a very good stay for the price.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Thank you for choosing to stay at Dolphin House, and for taking the time to write your very instructive review. We are pleased you enjoyed your spacious apartment, complimentary upgrade, and wonderful facilities. Please accept my sincere apologies for the heating issue you mention and that you did not experience the high level of service that the vast majority of Dolphin House clientele enjoy. I would very much like to personally address the poor service you experienced, and would therefore appreciate it if you could reply to my private message.
Sincerely, Wayne Mortensen

Reviewed December 1, 2012

This hotel advertises that it can be reached without entering the London Congestion Charge zone. I got to the hotel by car without going into the zone, then asked for directions to their car park when I checked in. The staff member directed me (using a map!) into the Congestion Charge zone and I later received a hefty bill by post. I subsequently wrote to the hotel to complain and they didn't even bother to answer me. Everything else was fine with our stay but make sure you are very clear about the parking info if you stay here and don't trust the staff on this. I did and it cost me a lot of money! By the way, I actually went there in December 2010 but I can't select that option to post this review.

Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family

Thank you for your recent feedback. However, with the very greatest of respect, I must clarify the parking issue you have raised: No part of Dolphin House, including the car park, lies within the congestion zone; in point of fact we are approximately half a kilometre outside the congestion zone. We are delighted you enjoyed the rest of you stay, and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Kind Regards,

Reviewed November 25, 2012

I had a really bad experience. I am the CEO of a company and tried this place as conveniently located - but as a work stay, it really does not work at all.
Internet connection did not work and even after I insisted to get it solved, the technical person who was supposed to call me back never did. I stayed up till late to try and solve it myself.
Then in the morning the worse surprise - no shower. Yes, the shower was not working.
When at check-out I explained the aweful one-night stay, the assistant told me I had to write to the manager. I wrote to Wayne [--] and Christian (do not recall the last name) but it was worthless. They never faced the problem and my complains, while of course charging me the full rate. A room needs to have at least 2 or 3 things working, and certainly the shower is a priority.
Aweful stay, especially considering the lack of follow-up in customer care. Lots to learn.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business