See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed July 25, 2007

This was the worst hostel I have stayed in, ever. And I have traveled all over Europe. Dirty, unsafe, and in a bad location. Try somewhere else. The low price does NOT make up for how bad this place is. You can do better. If not, you should rethink travel in Europe. I would highly recommend the Holland Park hostel, although it costs quite a bit more. Definitely worth the extra money.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo
5  Thank alohakoala
Reviewed July 15, 2007

I stayed at hostel 639 a couple of weeks ago... I was on a Eurotrip with some friends...Oh man... where do I start...Well, for starters, when we checked into our room at hostel 639... The beds weren't done, the garbage was literally all over the floor, the room smelled like vomit (literally) and there was a sex toy under one of the very unstable bunk beds. Because the room was so incredibly cheap and because we are not very fussy people, we tried our best to overlook all of this. So we took a nap, woke up and went downstairs to check out the rest of the hostel. As we cross the reception desk we overhear a guy saying to the manager that his room was broken into and robbed...AS HE WAS SLEEPING!!!!!! Needless to say, at that point, we decided to cut our losses... and just left. DO NOT STAY AT HOSTEL 639. Yes it's cheap... but for a reason. Its not worth losing your luggage, money or passport!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with friends
4  Thank Coconut003
Reviewed June 22, 2007

very basic service! i stayed in a 8 female dorm, room was clean but really small..and you have to cope with a shower box close to your bed!! the best thing is that's cheap and it's in zone 2, you reach victoria in about 20 minutes by tube, but i wouldn't stay there for more than 2-3 days..if your roommate wants to have a shower in the morning it's impossible not to wake up :|

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 7, 2007

We went to this hostel twice, the fisrt time (May 07) have booked through Hostelworld for two nights. We were located in the end of the 5th floor, lift does not work, and I had my mum with me, who is 65years old and has heart problems - it was a struggle for me (who exercise regularly), and very difficult for her. I asked to change rooms and the guy at the reception was quite rude, saying it wasn't his problem that she could not cope with the stairs.
The room was very basic (I mean it!) as one would expect for a hostel. Bed linen very clean and new though.
Breakfast is horrible, nescafe, unbranded hot chocolate powder, watery orange juice and cheap toast (tesco value type), margarine, jam.No cutlery though.
In the second time we stayed there (June 07) for one night only, we decided to book through Hostel 639 website, as we could them chose the number of the room we want (and paid more for this). The day before the arrival I had phoned them to confirm (as they did not send me a confirmation email), and the room I chose was allocated to us. When we arrive at the hotel I was told that the room had been allocated to someone else, and that the room numbers in the website does not correspond to the actual room numbers in the hostel. At the end we did not get our first floor room and my mum had to climb more stairs!!! The same guy at the reception did not apologise or tried to accomodate us in a better room - not a surprise!
The only good thing is location, just opposite the Kensal Green undergournd station. However the trains tend to terminate at Queen's park, and you may have to wait 30minutes or more for a train into London city.
Twice was enough for us, no one can blames us for not trying, but NEVER AGAIN.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cyntia_G_Laycy
Reviewed May 15, 2007

I have stayed at this hostel nearly every time I have come to London (I say nearly as I stayed at 2 others before here but have never had to bother finding another one). It's cheap, it's cheerful and I have always have an awesome time here.
The location is perfect - zone 2 and at Notting Hill Carnival time you could not ask for a better position - it's right where the action starts. Cool bars and shops are close by, buses and tube stop right out the front.
Rooms are pretty cool and comfy, for the price you couldn't ask for anything more, shower in each room, also restaurant, coffee shop, internet and bar - which rocks when they have parties! And if you wanna chill they have a tv room with heaps of movies. Security is tight and staff super friendly and there 24 hours. Great place to stay while you explore London.

• Stayed: July 2005, traveled as a couple