“excellent location, convenient living facilities”

Hostel 639 Kensal Green Backpackers
Ranked #638 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Cairo
“excellent location, convenient living facilities”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

I went for this place cause it was the cheapest in London at the time i stayed

completely NO Regrets for my choice, actually i am looking forward for going again,
i was in London for medical reasons, my booking was a bed in 8 bed dorm, yet when i arrived the staff understood that i cant climb too many stairs so they switched my bed with another one in a 6 bed female dorm with no extra charge, my roommates were all nice, other guests can suffer from other roommates, but this is how usually hostels are, if you will be offended by other people's hygiene then u should book a private room !!! i knew the rules of the place before i travelled so totally no surprises for me,

The breakfast, i loved it is very cheap (1.5 pounds only ) u can eat all what u want of bread, butter, nutella, jam, corn flakes, coffee, tea, juice which for me i felt more than enough as a start of the day. the staff are nice as long as you are nice to them, when at the first day i greeted the old man responsible for cleaning the toilets, he smiled for me every single morning afterwards and asked me if i am OK with the toilets :) .

So i believe the misconception about this place is the attitude of the too young travelers who expect everything in the cost of nothing

As for location, it is just across the road of kensel green station where there is underground and overground trains, perfect for me as i needed both, nearby Lidl and close to kilburn area (2 overground stations away) where a lot of cheap shopping and a street market

Room Tip: if you have a problem with your room dont hesitate asking the staff -in a nice way- to change your r...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hostel is really old, old smelly forniture. I stayed in the mix 6 bed room with 5 other boys and it smelled soo bad that it made me sick! Also beds and curtains smelled disgusting... Luckily I had my linenes with me but stil after few days everything smelled bad. There were some cleaners and they did their best but they just cant clean the mold... There were some cockroaches! Oh yes and the lock on our door was broken so the room was open 24/7! But luckily no one had stolen anything from the room. I dont know if it was just luck or if security is really that good.
The good things about this hostel are: cheap, its located in front of tube station and next to 24h bus stop that takes you to the center of London. Staff was ok. I liked Tvroom where you can relax watch tv have a drink and snack or dinner. There were some improvements going on... They were painting the walls in the ground floor soo it looks like they are trying to improve it but I wouldnt stay in this place again. I would much rather pay couple more euros and book nicer hostel than stay in this disgusting place.

Room Tip: Room that looks on the street are noisier, you hear cars whole night.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Masa S

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have to admit that the first impression of this hostel was bad.My room was full of weirdos ,bed not comfortable at all,shower in room even in the mix dorm!!!Just two common female shower(not working for a week). I've asked to change room and the second one was better.No enough space to place your stuff.Staff rude especially a french girl at coffee shop and mexican guy at the reception..Kitchen DIRTY because people did not clean after their messy,you have to pay deposit for everything even a teaspoon.Just cash payment.Though I met nice guys who made my experience at this hostel less terrible.the other guests are not travellers ,in the large part are people who work in :London.(is a really big hostel).Cleanliness ok.You don't feel safe in this place especially the first night,but there is a security at the door .

Room Tip: the second and third floor's rooms are less noisy
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I arrived at the hostel, having pre-booked from Australia. I was given a key to my room, and when I opened the door, I was absolutely mortified. I was sharing a room with three other females, all whom were obviously permanent residents, as there were 3 distinct 'piles' of belongings taking up every bit of floor space, so I had to put my bags on the bed with me, along the side of the wall. The bed linen was not clean, so I placed some of my clothing on top of the bed to sleep on. I attempted to shower in the shower cubicle, but had to squeeze myself in on an angle, as there was so much junk piled up around it, then had to face all the mould in the shower stall. The other roomies have an electric cook top, that sits on a chair next to the door, so if a fire were to occur, you would not be able to evacuate the room, and there were pots, pans, cups and plates that looked like they were caked in burnt food stuffs, and not been washed.
I did notice the linen on one girls bed, and it was disgustingly dirty, to say the very least. There did not appear to be any English speaking persons working here at all, so there was a language difficulty, and the security is non-existent also. All in all, a very frightening prelude to my vacation. Is this the norm, that is to be expected, or could things get any worse??? Fortunately for me, I found somewhere else to go, and discovered that not all hostels operate so badly.

Room Tip: what good room??? do they actually have any?
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank VeeEm55
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

O am currently staying here for two nights. This place should be closed down for health reasons. Mould clearly on walls. Duvet very bad as pillow. Only for I've no money for anywhere else is be gone. Deposit needed for everything including room key. Do not stay here

• Stayed January 2013
4 Thank dieseldlk
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

it is the worst hostel i have ever been. You are better sleeping in the street. Dirty, horrible beds, very noisy. We were 4 on that hostel and all of us got sick. The staff is just disgusting, no manners at all. When you ask them they are so rude and they look to customers like they were stupid as i saw it not only with us but in general with all. There is nothing good on this hostel. You have to give a deposit. Read the reviews of hostel 639 (it is the same hostel)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends