See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Do not bother to stay here!!! It is completely unhygienic. Firstly, the toilets look and smell like they are NEVER cleaned! One shower per floor if that. There were dirty towels left lying on the floor when I walked into reception, staff can barely understand what you are trying to say and are extremely unorganised!!! I even think I had something very important stolen from me. Complete waist of money. They do not accept cards so had to treck a few miles up the road in middle of night to get cash with you have to pay for. They charge the same if not more as a decent and 5 star equivalent YHA Hostel, so please, don't waist your money and settle for this unhygienic, dirty hostel. There is also music blaring out all night, and the door on my room did not even lock!!! The staff just didn't seem to care about me at all, and when i phoned up about my (i think, stolen) bank card after I had left, they just kept putting me off! Music so loud they couldn't even hear me and just were very unhelpful! One of the most uncomfortable nights of my life. And another thing, the beds seemed to have not been changed since the last person, and the pillows, well, you can hardly call them that.

Room Tip: If youre going to stay in a hostel, makes sure it is YHA! :)
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Amanda W
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I think it is the worse hostel which I have ever visited. I agree with almost all reviews on here about that accommodation. The hostel is quite far from the city center but on the positive side has a good connection by public transportation. Tube station Kensal Green is in front of the hostel. There is also direct bus to Victoria. I booked via hostelworld.com and they said they offer free shuttle bus from Victoria - didn`t try it so don`t know if it works. Simple breakfast is included and internet access is reasonably priced as well.

Anyway, It is a very cheap place so actually I didn`t expect anything better.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Zbirog
Reviewed November 8, 2012

This hotel was horrible, the rooms were dirty, the staff very unhelpful (most could barely speak english and did not know what was going on). People were partying until 5 in the morning and it didn't feel safe. It does not have a good location, better off paying a bit more to stay in a much better hostel

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Myself Male and my Female Partner booked in for three nights at the end of October 2012, we thought we would have to share a 6 Berth but actually had a 4 Berth which was better, we also had another Couple sharing, we were English and they were French.
The Room was made up of two sets of Bunk beds and had a sink and an enclosed shower in the Room.
The shower worked very well but what could be very difficult is you could share the room with anyone, 3 male 1 female, 3 female 1 male etc etc,
there is no separate changing area!! So the option is to try and dress in the shower or do your best in the room without embarrassing you or the other guests.our other room mates were very lucky as we would get up shower, dress then go down stairs indicating they had the room solely for 45min.
During our stay on the 4th floor the room next door had a massive argument with one of the female guests storming out shouting I'm not staying here!! This proved to be because the other roomates all male came back drunk?
If we were to stay here again we would book a whole room if affordable as location wise it is 2 min from Kensal station.
Breakfast is Corflakes, Toast and Tea or coffee and juice on a help yourself basis, this was free and fine.
Toilets were large rooms on our floor and I would if I owned the Hostel convert these to showers and make the shower space in each room into a changing area.

There is no parking nearby so if you drive in do your research first, you can park on the road at weekend for limited times.

There is a £10 deposit for your room key, do not lose your receipt as it is needed to get your £10 back, the room keys are basic Yale and can be copied for £1 and not security so do not leave any valuables what so ever, Reception has safes to use at a small cost.

The Hostel is on a very busy road so at 7am, traffic is at a peak and noisy so take ear plugs.

So our overall opinion is the Hostel worked out very good for us mainly because we had great room mates.

We would not take the risk though next time and would book the whole room if it was our cheapest option to stay in London.

With a little work 639 could make separate shower rooms and this would make staying more comfortable for young travellers or single females.

I don't think any homeless were hanging around and checking in but all guests do have to provide Identification on checking in.
This is a true account of our stay at 639 and is the opinion of a mature couple in there 30's.
You always have to take reviews with a pinch of salt but hopefully our review will help you in your stay and for 639 to improve where possible.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Damianleaver
Reviewed November 2, 2012

the matrasses were very old and you could feel their inner wires very clearly. the rooms are very humid due to showers inside the room. some windows cannot be opened so everything becomes damp and in my room, were the heater was not working, there were already many black mold spot on the ceiling and in the shower.

rooms are very small without space for putting your luggage, or an extra chair or table where you could sit down when you happen to have the bed on top. also it's hard to climb the upper bed without a ladder or chair provided.

loud music was heard every night till 3a.m.

the location near to the tube "kensal green" an the buses is pretty convenient.

in the community washrooms there was hardly soap for washing hands after toilet, almost no toilet paper and half of the toilets had a broken flush.

breakfast is white toast, margarine, strawberry jam, hot water (either with tea bags, coffee or cocoa powder), sugar, milk (hot + cold) and cornflakes.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank muldin i