“Well appointed and spacious, just far too hot”

Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge
Ranked #93 of 871 Specialty Lodging in London
Lancashire, England
“Well appointed and spacious, just far too hot”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Think Tower Bridge apartments are spread across a number of different buildings so I would imagine that the experience may vary depending on where your apartment is located. We were at 153 Tower Bridge Road, in an apartment overlooking the courtyard where reception was accessed.

The apartment itself was much bigger than I expected for such a central location (10 mins walk from London Bridge, Tower Bridge or Bermondsey tube stations). In our studio we had a line of wardrobes separating the bedroom area from the living area with a sofa, table and 2 chairs - so it felt more like a one bedroom apartment. The kitchen was good, with a full size fridge and freezer. No hob, but two microwaves, one of which also had a grill function. Everything worked and seemed clean. Nice shower room, good water pressure. At night it was surprisingly quiet, I guess it may have been noisier if we had a room overlooking the road.

The only problem was the heat. I realise we visited in the middle of unseasonably warm weather, but the window opened by only such a tiny crack we had no chance of letting any air circulate. There was a fan which made it possible to sleep. I wonder if the management could consider fitting air con in at least some rooms, or even the chance to rent a portable air con unit?

Top tip: Constancia, the Argentinean steak restaurant over the road, was excellent.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing courtyard rather than road, to reduce noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Philippa W, On behalf of CEO at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank you for your review. We were pleased you enjoyed your overall stay and would like to take this opportunity to comment on your experience with us at Think Tower Bridge.

Within our apartments we aim to provide guests with a home from home experience including all the necessary facilities and amenities. London has experienced a heat-wave over the past few weeks which has affected the temperature of the apartments. Also we currently do not operate an air conditioning system in our Tower Bridge property. In the meantime we provide fans should it be necessary. These are usually left in our apartments and we provide additional fans on request. We sincerely apologize that the customer service you received on this occasion was not to our usual standard and would like to inform you of the additional measure we have taken to reduce the temperature during this unusually hot spell. We have recently lined the external windows of the apartment building with a UV film which will filter out some of the heat which has affected your apartment.

We highly appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to London.

Jim Souter

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
Hamilton, Bermuda
Reviewed July 25, 2013

The rooms here are very small. However it had all the amenities you need in a holiday apartment and it's location was very nice. Think Tower Bridge is only 5 minutes away from London Bridge Station, which has very good bus, underground and overground train links. It is also about 5 minutes away from Tower Gateway DLR and Tower Hill overground rail stations.

Our flight arrived at 6:30 am, but we ere unable to check in before 12pm (which still cost us £50 each for early check in...). Nevertheless, we had a very comfortable stay and it is a good value for money when splitting it amongst a group of travellers.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at Think Tower Bridge.

We were pleased you have had an enjoyable experience and look forward to welcoming you back upon your return to London.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I was booked to stay 2 nights at Think Tower Bridge (room 507) and had to check out after the first night as the apartment was uninhabitable. It was extremely hot, the window opened maybe 3 inches and we had to wait 1.5 hours at 00:30 in the morning to get a fan from reception, the wait also involved me having to walk around at 01:30 am, to 3 different receptions, while each one told me to go to a different one.

The fan that was ultimately delivered at 02:00 am did nothing more than circulate warm air and we had to move into the Premier Inn next door. We checked out of the Think apartment on Saturday morning (one day early).

I have previously stayed at Think Bermondsey Street and was very pleased with the experience, hence I chose Think again, which I highly doubt I will do in the future, after this weekend's experience.

I was informed by customer services that I would be contacted soon regarding this, and I am yet to hear anything. It was a terrible experience and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Philippa W, On behalf of CEO at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for your recent review on TripAdvisor regarding your stay with us at Think. We were sincerely saddened that your overall stay did not meet your expectations.

We aim to provide our guests with a comfortable and enjoyable stay in their home away from home. We make every effort to review feedback on our guest’s stays and this includes more than 15 different booking channels and sites giving guest feedback.

We apologies for the Front of House Management not being in contact with you, however our Executive Office has contacted you today in regards to the unresolved issues from your stay with us. We would like to thank you for bringing these matters to our attention.
At Think, we appreciate all feedback as it assists us moving forward to ensure our product is in line with all our guests’ needs and expectations.

We hope that this experience does not deter you from staying with us again as we would like the chance to deliver a true Think Experience.

Jim Souter

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Burton upon trent
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was most disappointed to discover the bar of soap which was wafer thin and did not lather. This penny pinching approach spoiled the hotel for me. The service was reasonable and the room was spotless, the location was great and the double glazing a triumph BUT the penny pinching fragment of poor quality soap is a disgrace. I expect value for money and the soap was not

Room Tip: Take your own soap! The double glazing was very effective in keeping noise out.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Carina S, On behalf of CEO at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review Think Tower Bridge on TripAdvisor. We send our sincere apologies for the dissatisfaction you experienced on your recent stay.

We aim to provide our guests with a home away from home experience including all the necessary facilities. We value your opinion in regards to developing our facilities for the better and have passed on your comments to our Housekeeping Department and the Duty Manager, who have taken note of the issues you have raised to assist us going forward.

Thank you once again for your feedback and on behalf of the Team at Think, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to experience a better Think Service.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed at think apartments for a long weekend 12th-15th July. Easy check in etc and staff were very helpful. Got to our room in the glass part of the building and it was like a sauna!! We have had really good weather but still the rooms need some sort of air con system it was near enough unbareable. Luckily I had read a previous review so packed a little fan..there was also one provided in the room! We HAD to have both fans on in the bedroom on a night to even have a chance of a good nights sleep. The rooms were very clean and modern but felt they were let down by odd things which need to be addressed. The blinds for the bedroom leading onto the corridor did not shut so people could easily see into your bedroom area so not much privacy. The tap and sink in the bathroom were both loose and the water didnt really reach the bowl so would spill onto the floor. Overall they were lovely little rooms for a weekend away and very modern but feel they needed a refurb and an air con unit! Would not have been happy if we would have paid full price.. we got it on groupon. Also, location was great to get around London!

• Stayed July 2013
Philippa W, on behalf of the CEO at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Thank you for your review of Think Apartments.

London has experienced a heat-wave over the past few weeks which has affected the temperature of the apartments. We do provide fans on request and if we have availability we also try to move guests to an apartment where they may feel more comfortable.

Thank you for your comments in regards to the design of the apartments, we have passed these onto our Product Development Team who are constantly looking for ways to improve our apartments.

We hope that you stay with us again so we can restore your faith in Think.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

My family and I stayed on 6 July 2013 through 11 July 2013. The staff here is EXCELLENT. That is the only thing. We were in unit 508. The beige pleather furniture is dirty and old. The entire apartment is dirty and in need of major updating. The kitchen counters are stained. The bathrooms are extremely small, especially the showers. The rate charged for the value is extremely poor. I would not recommend these apartments to anyone, and would never stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank AuntieBethRocks
Philippa W, on behalf of the CEO at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Thank you for your review of Think Apartments, we are saddened to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us.

Our apartments are designed to make you feel as though you are at a home away from home and we are sorry that you were not completely comfortable during your stay. Some of our apartments are undergoing refurbishment and is set to be improved soon.

We inspect each apartment prior to a guest’s arrival and we apologise that on this occasion your apartment was not checked thoroughly. We provide a weekly cleaning service, guests can also request daily cleaning, a Refresh Clean is £15.00 a Full Clean is £30.00.

We hope that you give us the opportunity to restore your faith in Think in the future.

Jim Souter, CEO
Toronto
Reviewed July 17, 2013

Stayed here for 5 weeks recently for business with family in tow (2 kids). We got a 2 bedroom apartment.

General Good
Location was great. 10 min. walk to the subway (or Tube station). Lots of small parks nearby.
Less than 10 min walk to a decent sized Tesco. Or a more expensive smaller grocery store across the street. We walked a lot around the Tower Bridge/London Bridge area with a bunch of restaurants and lots of stuff happening at City Hall on weekends.

Service was very good. No problems other than the internet (see below) but was resolved quickly. Everything we asked for they either came up to help (like teach us how to use the washer/dryer) or provided quickly (extra towels etc.).

Apartment 1 - Location: End building next to reception. It is the older one. Right across from the park/tennis courts.

The Good
Place was huge, 2 bathrooms, big kitchen, lots of space
Had pretty much everything we needed
The service was very good. The staff was always willing to help even though sometimes they didn't know

Internet was easy to get onto and had no login service required which was weird since there were instructions that said it was required. The front office didn't understand how I got on without a login. This changed after a week (see Apartment 2)

The drapes were good and kept everything dark even in the morning.

The Bad
The floors are pretty dirty, we bought some cleaner and wiped the floors clean and the wipes etc. came out black. Honestly I wasn't expecting much more than this but still worth a mention.

There was no elevator and we were on the 2nd floor. A bit of a pain with 2 kids but our stroller is small and compact. You have to go up a flight of stairs to go to the main door then another 2 flights to get to the 2nd floor. It was actually hardest when carrying a lot of groceries.

The lighting was a bit dark. Everything felt old.

The Ugly

Things were going well after a week until I was working one night in the living room and as I turned my head, a cute little mouse stared back at me. I thought about not doing anything since the family was asleep but having a baby, we didn't want to take any chances.

To the staff's credit, they moved us right away to a different room in a different building. They offered to help us to move the next day but we just did it ourselves that night.

Apartment 2 - In new building directly above reception.

The Good
Elevator access: Yes! No more carrying babies and groceries up stairs.

Room not as big as the first one but still plenty big enough. Everything was much newer including appliances although part of fridge was already broken.

The lighting was very good in this apartment with ability to dim as needed.
The bathrooms were nicer and had auto sensing lights (though it took a day to figure out where the sensors were when taking a shower) and had really nice heated towel racks although one wasn't working.

The laundry machine was an all in one which was fun. You had to keep the door closed though as during the drying cycle it had a desire to "leave" its space by slowly vibrating outwards.

The internet was fast once we figured out what was going on. DO NOT use the swisscom internet as we could never logon not even once. I know this wasn't normal since when I went downstairs for the 3rd time trying to figure it out on the 2nd day it didn't work I was waiting for the receptionist to get off the phone with swisscom as she was saying how many apartments were having the same problem. In the end it was solved by using the other service provider and it was smooth, fast, and no limits unlike the swisscom one. In the end it worked out great cause if I had a max cap on data of 250mb that the Swisscom site mentioned it would have been a disaster as my work deals with a lot of video files and I would have maxed out in a week.

The Bad
Again the floors were dirty, but not as dirty as the first. We took less time to scrub the floor.

This apartment only had blinds so light came in the morning. Not a huge deal but just a note compared to apartment 1.

The Ugly

It was beginning of week 5, only a few more days to go. Once again working at night and again I come face to face with another cute little mouse. He darted under the couch and disappeared. I moved the couch but for the life of me I couldn't figure out the hole he came from. With only a few days off I didn't tell the wife and freak her out again. I didn't see Stuart Little again and had no other incidents. Fortunately I never saw any rat droppings or anything like that.

Likely would have been a 5 star rating except for the mice. Like I said, they were cute, but still prefer not to see them in my room especially with my kids nearby.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank sorjue
Thank you for you review with Think Apartments, we are pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are extremely sorry that you encountered mice during your stay with us. Being in London this is not a completely uncommon issue however it is not acceptable for any of our guests to encounter them during their stay with us. We have informed our Health and Safety Department and Extermination Team and they are in the process of dealing with the issue.

We inspect each of our guests apartments prior to their arrival to ensure they have been cleaned thoroughly, we apologise that on this occasion your room had not been properly checked. Your comments have been passed on to our Housekeeping Department and the Duty Manager. We provide a weekly cleaning service and offer a daily cleaning service on request, a Refresh Clean is £15.00 fee and a Full Clean is a £30.00 fee.

If our guests face any technical difficulties during their stay with us, we advise them to inform our 24 Hour Reception who will ensure our IT resolve these difficulties as soon as possible.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Jim Souter CEO