“confusing to start and end but enjoyed it” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge
Ranked #78 of 827 Specialty Lodging in London
Cheshire, United Kingdom
“confusing to start and end but enjoyed it”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2012

Firstly when walking from London Bridge tube to here then turning right it is badly signposted and I only found it by going for a nose. The main reception is amongst a load of offices I was then directed about four hundred yards away to my block I have to say the room was very comfortable. I was given a voucher for the 'Maltings' cafe for breakfast and when I asked 'is that the Kitchen?' was told no it was on the left out of reception after going round the block and back to reception I was directed to the Kitchen which was on the right and isn't called the Maltings cafe. Overall though good stay good location helpful staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Philippa W, On behalf of Jim Souter at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor regarding your recent stay with us at Think. I was pleased you enjoyed your overall experience with us and look forward to welcoming you back on your next journey to London. It is important to note that we have recently taken ownership of the Cafe formally known as Maltings Cafe where we have renamed and rebranded as @the Kitchen. I would like to thank you for bringing the matter regarding your breakfast voucher to my attention and would like to highlight that since receiving your review We have updated the breakfast voucher and communicated this with our Front of House Team to avoid future incidences such as this.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Chief Executive, Think Apartments

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

Finding this hotel was not easy. we had to find reception - in a different building down a side street. But once that was over our stay was great.
Super location. Lovely clean apartment.
Very early check out - 10am Sunday.
I would recommend this hotel

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank fratersmer
Philippa W, On behalf of Jim Souter at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us at Think. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay and would like to take this opportunity to comment.

Our Tower Bridge Property is located 10 minutes walk from London Bridge Station (Northern, Jubilee & National Rail Services) walking past iconic buildings including Tower Bridge, City Hall and the London Dungeons or Tower of London just a 5 minute walk across the bridge towards Tower Hill station (District & Docklands Light Railway). We encourage guests to ask a member of our 24 hour Reception for assistance with their arrival and luggage if required. Within the booking confirmations we detail the reservation number so in the rare event that a guest has any difficulty locating our property then we can direct them accordingly. We do value your feedback and are currently investigating whether locating an additional reception in Tower Bridge would greatly assist our guests on their arrival.

As detailed on our website our check in time is 3pm and our check out time is 10am. The reason check out time is 10am is due to the fact an apartment can be more time consuming in terms of cleaning especially as our guests tend to have a longer length of stay and we always endeavour to have the apartment in pristine condition for our next guests’ arrival. Should a guest need a later departure, then these can be arranged via our Reservations or Reception Teams for a small additional fee.

Thank you once again for your feedback and on behalf of the Think Team, we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Guildford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed in these apartments on Sat 8th Sept 2012. I made a reservation a few weeks earlier and received a PDF document confirming the total price of my stay. When we arrived at the apartments on the 8th payment was taken for the correct amount. However, I noticed a few days later that an extra £24 was taken from my account for no reason, without my permission. I have spent all morning on the phone to the company having to fight to get my money back. They tried to claim they had priced the room wrong so had to take more, despite me having a pdf confirmation showing how much the room was. I have finally managed to organise my refund (which I won't get for 5-7days). I wouldn't trust this company and feel I now have to keep an eye on my bank account in case they try to take more money out. It's just not worth it!!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank samdavies_21
Philippa W, On behalf of Jim Souter at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us at Think. Firstly I would like to apologise for the experience you encountered and would like to take this opportunity to comment.

Since investigating your stay with my colleagues in Reservations and Accounts it is clear that the original confirmed amount within the booking confirmation was increased through human error upon the arrival of the guest sharing your apartment. When the second occupant arrived and the Receptionist added their details to your booking reservation it caused the system to prompt an increase in the rate of £24 instead of retaining the original amount. It is very rare that the system should make the rate jump however this can easily be done through human error and pressing the wrong key. I would like to assure you that we take these matters seriously as our aim is to ensure our guests have an enjoyable and relaxing stay with us. We are sorry that we have caused this inconvenience to you and subsequently training has been put in place highlighting the importance of taking care when updating guest’s profiles or indeed future reservations to avoid such incidences occurring in the future. I am pleased that your refund has been processed and would like to assure you the money is released from Think Apartments the same day however can take 5-7 days for banks to process the refunded amount.

Thank you for taking the time to bring this matter to my attention.

We hope this experience does not deter you from choosing Think again in the future. Please contact me directly so that I can make the necessary arrangements for your stay.

Chief Executive, Think Apartments

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Dundee, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

First of all, the location of these apartments are brilliant. They are very central and you can get to all the main attractions in London very quickly. Check in was done promptly and we were directed to our first apartment. The room was very neat and clean, however as we first entered we were hit by a wall of heat. There was absolutely no circulation of air in the apartments what so ever, the thermometer read 31C. This is obviously very hot and stuffy. We went down to ask for a second fan as the one they had initially supplied the room with was very inneffective and quite noisy. We then left for the day hoping that the room would have cooled by the evening...it didn't. We asked for a further fan as the two we had seemed to make no difference to which we were told no. A word that should never be used in terms of customer service. We stated that the temperature was ridiculous and asked to be moved to another, cooler room. We were told that they could move us but not unitl 3pm the next day. When asked if the new room would be cooler we were told "I cannot guarantee Scottish weather". Being from Scotland and having visited England frequently I can tell you that there really isn't that much of a difference in the weather between Scotland and England and neither country is ever likely to experience temperatures reaching 32 degrees Celsius. We got through a very restless and stuffy night and were finally given the keys to our new room. The room was marginally cooler but still very stuffy and again we had two very squeaky fans to help make it bearable. The second room was larger than the first but was clearly in need of freshening up. The "double" bed was more like a single and the hardest matress I have ever slept on...the floor was almost more appealling. On our last day we were hoping to have a bit of a lie in before our 10am checkout. However, we were abruptly woken by someone knocking at our door at 8am asking us when we were checking out...there went our hopes of having a lazy lie in. The pictures attached with this review are night time temperatures (1am in the morning).

Having stayed in hotels from the very budget to the very luxurious I have to say that this is the worst place I have ever stayed. I would have given it a terrible rating, however the location saved it and therefore granted it a poor.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room or one with a functional window.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Squin83
Philippa W, On behalf of Jim Souter at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us at Think. I was sincerely saddened that your Think Experience was affected due to the extraordinary high temperatures by London standards during your stay and would like to take this opportunity to comment.

Currently do not operate an air conditioning system in our Tower Bridge property. In the meantime we provide fans should it be necessary. These are usually left in our apartments and we provide additional fans on request. I apologise that the customer service you received on this occasion was not to our usual standard and would like to inform you of the additional measure we have taken to reduce the temperature in the future to a more comfortable level. We have recently lined the external windows of the apartment building with a UV film which will filter out some of the heat which has affected your apartment. Where possible we aim to provide our guests with a home away from home experience which is comfortable and enjoyable. Should we have had the availability we would of course moved you straight away however at the time of your stay we were running on a very high occupancy.

Our Interior Designer along with our Product and Development team are continually looking to make improvements to our current product, taking the feedback from previous guests to keep it in line with our guests’ needs and requirements. On a 6 month basis our on-site Maintenance Team conduct Preventative Performance Maintenance (PPM) whereby we check and improve the necessary facilities within the apartments. As part of our ongoing refurbishment program we have refurbished a number of our apartments at Maltings Place and plan to refurbish more however this process can be affected by occupancy levels especially during London Games 2012 when we were fully booked.

With regards to the morning of your departure I was surprised to read that a member of our Housekeeping Team came to your apartment at that time and although not excusable, I can only assume that this was due to a communication lapse and they were attending the incorrect apartment. We pride ourselves in providing a service that allows our guests to relax and enjoy their stay without the disturbance from staff.

We hope that this experience does not deter you from revisiting Think Apartments at some point in the future and would like for you to contact me directly so that I can ensure your next stay with us exceeds your expectations.

Lake District, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Arriving by train at Euston Station, the nearest station in a direct line is London Bridge on the Northern line this takes around 12 minutes. Once out of the station walk the length of Tooley Street about 800 meters, passing Tesco and M + S supermarkets on the way. Arriving on Tower bridge road turn right ( South) after a further 100 meters pass under the rail archway, the Maltings reception is immediately too your right. If you are after hours you have to carry on and take the next right onto Tanner street and the entrance is 50 meters to your right.
All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful, it took slightly longer than expected to be issued with an apartment but we were kept informed and not overlooked.
Once in the apartment accessed by a very quiet lift, the size of the room was perfect for a short city stay.
I will get the negatives out of the way first , these were far out weighed by the positives but removing them would enable the complex to achieve higher ratings. We were in room 43B and all of the problems were with the bathroom apart from one in the main room . Here the finish around the bottoms of the walls could have done with a small skirting board, which would have removed the dirt collecting recess around the whole perimeter of the room.
Now the bathroom, the floor covering would benefit from a deep scrubbing, it was also coming away from the walls leaving gaping holes and the sealer was missing in various places once again leaving gaps. The sink was loose and being on a center stand tilted too and fro allowing water from the tap to miss it , the tap itself was also loose and the waste connector at the rear was totally detached , enabling the sink to do a 360 rotation if required. There was no cover under the lower 2" of the shower tray and the chrome work on taps fittings and pedal bin were badly water stained on arrival, showing lack of attention to cleaning and hygiene. The plus side of the bathroom was it had plenty of hot water, a double shower, excellent lighting and a huge bathroom cabinet, which looks like an inspection panel; at the rear of the toilet. Towels, soap and shampoo are also provided. Could have done with a soap dish in shower cubicle!
The main room itself had ample wardrobe and drawer space, ironing board and washing machine.
The kitchen was finished and equipped to a very standard all appliances you would expect in a fully working kitchen and a couple of dishwasher tablets thrown in!
Lighting was top class, over 20 down lighters in total and numerous power outlets, all polished stainless steel fittings. Also included were Bedside clock, Fridge/freezer, TV and Wi Fi hub. NO Aircon. ( request a fan)
The floor covering was wooden, which sounded noisey, when walked on but we never heard any noise from other apartments and the complex was full.
We stayed in the Atrium as there are 4 units in this complex;About 100 meters from the complex gate across the road is a Cost cutters. There are plenty of Restaurants and bars on Tower bridge road ( also Wetherspoon's ) and on the north side of Tower bridge is St Katerine's dock, great to walk around , small outlets and the Dicken's pub overlooking the dock.
All in all we had a pleasant stay and would stop again, I just hope that the manager , who I know from previous reviews and his replies acts upon or looks at these problems / defects .

Room Tip: Request via e-mail quiet room or floor location and the manager will do his best to comply
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Philippa W, On behalf of Jim Souter at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, September 7, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us at Think. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your overall stay and would like to take this opportunity to comment.

Since investigating your feedback I have spoken with my colleagues in Housekeeping and Maintenance in regards to the important points you raised and it is important to note that this particular apartment is scheduled within our ongoing refurbishment program. We have noted, through our Preventative Performance Maintenance checks conducted every 6 months, the bathroom in particular is in need of some refurbishment. Both my colleagues have now revisited this apartment today to view the overall standards of the bathroom and will be speaking with their teams to ensure that future housekeeping standards are higher including preparation of the apartment for our guest’s arrival. In the last months despite being very busy for the Olympics we have successfully refurbished 30 apartments. Within our program we plan to implement skirting boards within all apartments, replace the sink with a better quality product which will remove the current challenges with the tap and the waste connector, and also place a soap dish or toiletry holder within the shower.

Thank you once again for highlighting these matters with us and on behalf of the team at Think we look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy those finished touches on your next journey to London.

North Wales, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

We booked to stay in a studio apartment and when we arrived we'd been upgraded to a two bedroomed apartment!
The apartment was clean, spacious, everything worked and great value for money, also a great location.
Can't recommend enough!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank thepazzas
Philippa W, On behalf of Jim Souter at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us at Think. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your Think Experience and we met your expectations during your stay. We look forward to welcoming your back on your next stay in London.

Leeds
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Location Wise this place is excellent for:

Tower Bridge
Tower of London
Shard Building
A walk by the river Thames

It is a 10-15 minute walk to the nearest underground (tube) station.

I am mentioning where this place is because there is very little to actually say about it. We had a studio apartment, kitchenette, bathroom.

It is possibly the warmest little room I have ever spent my time in.

I have lived in the canary islands and cooler nights sleep.
I currently live in an apartment in the UK where I only need to turn my heating on for about 3 weeks of the year because it is generally quite warm... this place was warmer.
My girlfriend had to get up in the middle of the night for cold showers because it was so warm.
Want to open the window? You can... I say that because you can.. but only about 2 inches which is completely useless.
They had obviously realised how warm these rooms were because they had a fan in there.. It really did circulate the warm air nicely (sarcasm).

I am not impressed or unimpressed with the building and understand that we stayed for 2 days that were freakishly warm for London (30 Celsius). Some air con was needed.

Room has hair dryer, iron, washing machine, dish washer, TV and free Wi-Fi

Room Tip: Try get a ground floor room in summer
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank T_leeds
Philippa W, On behalf of Jim Souter at Gate House Apartments, Tower Bridge, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay with us at Think. I sincerely apologise that your overall Think Experience was affected by the temperature of your apartment.

The location of our Tower Bridge Property is a 10 minute walk from London Bridge Station (Northern, Jubilee & National Rail Services) walking past iconic buildings including Tower Bridge, City Hall and the London Dungeons or Tower of London just a 5 minute walk across the bridge towards Tower Hill station. The property is situated in close proximity to a vast selection of high standard restaurants including Zucca, Gaucho and Gregg’s Table (Gregg Wallace’s latest venture) joining the Tower Bridge and Bermondsey area.

It is clear that during the time of your stay the temperature was extraordinarily high for our usual London standards and we currently do not operate an air conditioning system in our Tower Bridge property. In the meantime we do provide fans should it be necessary.

Without direct contact it is difficult to determine which apartment you stayed in. Some apartments do have windows that are restricted as to how far they can open for Health & Safety reasons however should we have another apartment available we would be happy to assist guests moving apartments to ensure guest comfort. It is important that guests let us know if anything is not working as it should be as without knowledge we are unable to take the necessary steps to improve our guests stay.

Thank you once again for your feedback and on behalf of the team at Think, we hope you will Think again and join us on your next journey to London.