“Fortunate find”

Fraser Suites Queens Gate
Ranked #483 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I'm almost surprised at myself that I haven't stayed at Fraser Suites Queens Gate before, but have just returned from a very satisfied stay in an executive suite.

Despite being familiar with the South Kensington area, I was slightly thrown with finding the correct building as there's another Fraser Suites (Stanhope Gardens, for longer term stays) directly opposite on Cromwell Road, and found upon check-in that my confusion wasn't unique. The receptionist was highly efficient and very professionally-mannered in retrieving my booking: although my studio wasn't ready when I arrived at 3pm, it wasn't a problem for me on this particular stay as I just needed to drop my luggage before heading out again.

The executive studio was on the 4th floor facing Cromwell Road. Despite some complaints about the traffic noise in some of the preceding reviews, I didn't notice this at all and the windows have been sound-proofed.

The quality of the furnishings exceeded my expectations, the standard of cleanliness is high, the layout of the suite provided a (bonus) kitchenette and seating area in a separate room, the bathroom was generously proportioned with a big walk-in shower, and the WiFi connection was reliably fast.

I don't usually use much of a hotel's facilities and had skipped breakfast on this visit. However, I was impressed by the choices in the room service menu (which are available until 1am), especially as this is not always a priority offering in other serviced apartment establishments.

I'd very happily return for another stay and am already looking up availability for a longer stay later this year.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank DubaiCheuk

Reviewed January 15, 2014

We just returned from our trip to Europe. We went to London & Berlin.
Our stay in London at the Fraser suites Queens Gate was our best
accommodation by far!! My wife had stayed here 3 years ago on business
& loved the location. We were happy to see the entire building had
been renovated. Wifi worked really well & breakfast was pretty decent.
Our check in was fairly smooth. We had arrived a bit early to Check in
(4pm) around 2pm & our room was ready. Staff served us with a smile.
We booked a studio and had a kitchenette and had a great mattress,
important as my wife had back surgery recently! Highly recommend this
place as 2 min walk to V&A museum and about 1 min walk to Piccadilly
line Gloucester think the stop is. And we took the tube directly to
Heathrow from there.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Henry L
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We recently stayed in this apartment/hotel and found everything about it first class from the very warm welcome quite late at night to the very efficient check out. The decor of the establishment is fresh and bright, WiFi works without a hitch and the fact that the guests laundry is well equipped and available 24 hours a day is superb. Our room was well equipped enabling us to eat in whenever we wanted. Fantastic location ...will recommend it to any friends who might be travelling to London.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Lyn H
Reviewed January 12, 2014

stayed there with my sister and family from Jan 1-4, and Jan 6-7, 2014. Loved the new apartment hotel room style with a kitchenette area for us to wash/cook some meals. Nicely designed apartment, the deco and colors scheme. The bath room/standing shower is very well designed as well (rain shower) and the amenites used are very nice (L'OCCITANE). nice size and easy to bring away. location is very near the tube station - Gloucester Road Station (from Heathrow Airport as well)..
the lobby is very refreshing and created a homely ambience.
will come back and stay with Frasers for sure.

Room Tip: new apartment hotel style, new deco in a nice area, Kensington
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank RayHua
Frasien, General Manager at Fraser Suites Queens Gate, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Dear Ray Hua,

Thank you very much for taking the time and posting your feedback.
We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay with us and we are looking forward to welcoming you back at Fraser Suites Queens Gate.

Kind Regards
Bobby Borislavova

Reviewed January 4, 2014

My friend and I travelled highly excited from Switzerland to London. When we checked in to Fraser Suites in Queens gate garden the hotel seemed nice. Although our apartment on the 5th floor weren't very clean. After one night in the apartment I realized something had bitten me. I develop a skin eruption. Immediately we called the reception as we thought first it were fleas. They promised to upgrade us into another room as soon as possible (which took them 2 hours!!). They apologized and told us we might have brought the fleas by our self, probably from the airport. Because of my really bad skin eruption we decided to go to the nearest hospital. The doctor checked me and diagnosed BED BUGS bites! Urghhh!!! I couldn't believe myself! The doctor also asked me if I'm staying in a hostel?! I was disgusted and absolutely upset. I informed the reception and gave them the doctors confirmation. Again, they apologized and said it is strange as they refurnished the hotel 6 months ago. We asked for our money back, all we got was the money of the stay in the bed bug room. I had to speak with the manager of fraser suites (who by the way, and I really hope he's gonna read it, don't even speak English fluently!) Ach, it was an horrible stay at the hotel. The bed sheets of the new room were dirty and one night the heat didn't work. We had to call the reception two times to get a external heater. Additionally the TV didn't work properly. The rest of the people who worked there were mostly unfriendly (or didn't even speak English) apart from one old man who works during night. He was a very gentle and nice man. I hope he doesn't have bed bugs either. So all in all, if you're not afraid of bed bugs and you don't mind an unfriendly environment you should consider booking the hotel. Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
7  Thank J X
Frasien, General Manager at Fraser Suites Queens Gate, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Dear JX,

We appreciate and are thankful for the concern and awareness of all our guests.
First and foremost I would like to stress on the fact this was an isolated incident.
This is not a problem we take lightly and we have acted on it immediately . Our contracted Pest Control company visited and thoroughly checked your apartment and the rest of the property. Evidence of bed bugs was found only in the apartment you stayed in. It was not until we made sure this apartment was treated and cleaned properly before we put it back in inventory.
Please be assured that we have taken all your comments on board and and we have investigated the problems you mentioned.
We do sincerely apologise if we have made your stay uncomfortable.

Reviewed December 31, 2013

We stayed for a week over Christmas and would highly recommend. Our room had a kitchenette which was handy. It was a very comfortable room. Close walk to V&A,natural history museums and we also walked to harrods. Gloucester Rd station is very close by and the three underground lines which ran throughout it connected us almost everywhere. Staff are also friendly.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pial255100
Reviewed December 30, 2013

I booked an executive suite on the most flexible and highest priced rate. As such I expected so much more from this hotel. I will start with the positives. The location is very convenient with shops on Gloucester Road and associated transport options only 5 minutes walk away. South Kensington is posh, prim and postcard London. The desk manager Vijay tried to help me with the myriad of faults here and was patient and proactive. He is an asset to Fraser Suites and suits a better property. Without him this would fall to a one star review.

Upon arrival I saw that I had been assigned a lower ground floor apartment. I was surprised as given I had booked the most expensive accommodation level I thought they would be at least above ground. I was invited to see two apartments on the lower ground and both were dark and unpleasant. I was told nothing else was available as arriving guests had pre booked rooms. However I was told I could not pre book a high floor room myself so I don't quite understand that. I declined to be housed underground for over $400 a night and sat in reception working out my options. It then became apparent by accident that I was being checked into a lower grade room for a higher grade rate. Not a deliberate attempt to rip me off but a mistake that was annoying and inconvenient. I was told there were two other rooms available and shown one on the first floor. It had daylight and I said yes as much out of relief.

The apartment was a high ceiling space with a mezzanine bedroom. It is all open planned and for one person was okay but if sharing would lack privacy. My issues:

Dark grey walls, dark timber and intractable curtains render it dark all day.
Poorly equipped kitchenette with no proper oven or dishwasher
Drafty room impossible to keep warm
Noisy reverse cycle air conditioning that I had to turn off to sleep
No service on public holidays (why not? every other hotel has housekeeping on Xmas)
Small TV mounted too high on the wall and uncomfortable to watch
Cheap bathroom fittings with a very narrow shower and again a cold room hard to heat. The toilet seat was at the point of departure from this world.
Horrible bed that was old and lumpy. Unacceptable at this price point.
The room i had is higher than it is wide - it is like a high and narrow shoe box and not cosy or pleasant.

The icing on the cake came when I had to check out early due to storms in the UK and travel disruption. I was told they would dock me for £237 as I had not given 48 hours notice. I'm sorry but on a flexible rate every hotel in the world allows an amendment to the number of nights once you have checked in. It left a really bad taste and combined with a poor quality room for the money has killed off Fraser Suites for me. A shame as I am big traveller for work and had scoped this out as an option. Never again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo