“Made to feel very special.”

Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
Ranked #66 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed August 14, 2014

We stayed here for my daughters 10th birthday in July. From the moment we arrived the service was excellent. The bell boy Edward was kind and courteous to us all and made my daughter feel special. We arrived very early and were hoping to leave our luggage with the concierge until check in time whilst we went sight seeing but were told this was not a problem and our room would be ready in 30 mins if we would like a complimentary breakfast they would come and find us or they would call me if we wanted to go out. True to their word in 30 mins I received a call to say our room was ready. The room was excellent. We had the best view of London with HMS Belfast at our feet looking right to Tower bridge to the front the Gherkin and to the left Westminster and the Eye. The room was what I have come to expect from Shangri La hotels. If you want traditional British opulence this is not for you. It is a modern room in the Far east style of minimalist luxury. A very comfortable bed ( with a single bed delivered on call for my daughter) a luxurious bathroom with walk in rain shower and large tub. I am surprised that other reviewers have found that they have not received preference at the bar and restaurant. I went up to the bar at about 2130 and was ushered past a queue of young trendy non-residents waiting to get in and told I was welcome to take a seat at the bar until a table was available and which I received before the aforementioned trendies. The drinks were of a price that I would expect in and cocktail bar in London and mixed with pazazz by the superb mixologist who's name evades me (it sounded Germanic). I would have paid double for the drink just for the view it was stunning. My wife and daughter went for breakfast and again were shown to the table with the best view and with no waiting. All in all it was the standard of hotel and service I have become accustomed to as a regular Shangri La visitor. Thank you to all the staff for their kindness and we hope to see you again soon. I will leave you with a quote from my daughter "Dad I felt like a celebrity".

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Simon M
ShangriLaLondon, General Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2014

Dear Simon M,

Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us for on your daughter’s birthday, I am glad that she left feeling special.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the future.

Best regards.

Darren Gearing, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,257)

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We spent 2 days in London at the end of our trip before heading home to Australia. We had an amazing room on the 50th floor at the Shard, overlooking the Tower Bridge and the Tower of London. The view was amazing! The shower has a glass wall so you can look out while showering. The bathroom amenities are Italian products - very nice. Everything is so lovely and new in the hotel and the room.

A few teething problems with service, but nothing drastic. We were left waiting a few times and had to find people to help us. There are new staff everywhere, they are coming from all directions. They'll get themselves sorted with time, I'm sure. Everyone from the front door to the maintenance staff are friendly, enthusiastic and excited about their new hotel.

Concierge staff were extremely helpful with a problem with our suitacse. I couldn't have wished for better attention.

Tip: you have to book the champagne bar well in advance - it's a popular spot and books out quickly. Why there aren't table reserved for hotel guests, I'm not sure. How crazy is it to stay in a hotel and not be able to drink at their bar? We were lucky - the staff helped us with reservations on both nights we were there. I get the impression we wouldn't have been so lucky if we'd try to go on our own.

1  Thank CCCtheworld

Dear ClaireCtheworld,

Thank you for your recent review. I am glad to that you enjoyed your overall stay with us on your recent visit to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London but apologise that you encountered a few issues with service.

I do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We stayed in the Shangri-la at the shard in August 2014. I have to say to call it a 5 star hotel is wrong. As many people here have said being a resident does not guarantee any special status in the bar or restaurant.

We did get to visit the bar and where found a seat but only after being told how busy they were, it was as if they were doing me a favour by finding one of their guest a seat to enjoy a drink.

The restaurant food was average and the service was awful, I ordered the Ting burger which arrived tepid, and had to ask for tomato sauce! I had eaten half of it before the condiment arrived. No care was taken in the presentation, in fact I feel the Macdonalds over the road puts more effort into its presentation.

The only selling point is the view which many people on here have said is spectacular. However, you can enjoy by booking a window table in the bar, and save yourself the cost of the room min £500 that will buy a lot of cocktails.

I am not normally someone who writes reviews but I was so annoyed by their attitude that here I am. I came away feeling I was an inconvenience not a guest. I wonder who writes all the good reviews but notice no one say how good the service is only how good the view is. That sums it up good view but do not expect anything else.

The staff need a lot more training, the service needs to improve a great deal, I doubt many people will be returning.

Compared to proper 5 star hotels which make you feel like a king, this hotel has a long long long way to go.

Room Tip: Corner rooms have dual aspect and feel bigger
5  Thank Ian R

Dear Ian R,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your stay. I am deeply sorry to hear that you had a less than favourable experience with us at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London and that there were issues with the burger amongst others. I would like to get in touch with you personally to discuss your experience, would you mind letting us know your contact information and some more details by calling +44(0) 207 234 8187 or emailing claire.hepworth@shangri-la.com?

Again I do apologise and I hope that you will consider coming back in the near future so that we can make up for this.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Excellent in all respects. A top quality hotel with excellent views over London. Not cheap, but you pay for what you get. From reception to departure everything is first class with this establishment.

Dear Kevin C,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that your recent stay with us was an enjoyable one.
I hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

The hotel being located at The Shard, the tallest building in Western Europe, we knew we will be provided with the best view of London. We were not disappointed at all when we arrived. The check in lobby is on the 35th floor and we could already see London from the top.

It is perfectly located at the London Bridge tube station and is walking distance to the world-famous Borough Market, the plethora of galleries, museums, restaurants and bars of Bermondsey Street, Hayes Galleria, restaurants at More London, HMS Belfast, as well as the Tate, Shakespeare's Globe, Tower Bridge and The Tower of London..

We requested a room away from the lift during the booking, however our request was not fulfilled when we checked in. But the lady who checked us in immediately arranged another room. Most Hotel staff are prompt, personable and professional in all facets of the hotel from the bell desk, concierge, room service and wonderful housekeeping.

My stay would be excellent if the pool was open for service.

Worth staying if your budget allows, you could just sit in your room and soak in the beautiful night view.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Per5ephone,

Thank you for your kind review. I am pleased that your recent stay with us was enjoyable and glad that we were able to accommodate you in an alternative room. I hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London soon, especially now that the pool has opened.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

My wife and I stayed for the weekend to celebrate her birthday and our wedding anniversary. Everything we wanted was catered for. The view from the room was superb if you did not look straight down, vertigo sufferers beware. But then you book the hotel l for the height and views. We had no problem with access to and fro the rooms and actually enjoyed the seclusion. We will certainly stay again.

Room Tip: River facing and the higher the better.
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled as a couple
ShangriLaLondon, Hotel Manager at Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear Kevin W,

Thank you for your review. I am delighted that you and your wife chose to celebrate her birthday and your anniversary with us and I hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the near future.

Jurgen,
Jurgen Ammerstorfer, Hotel Manager

Reviewed August 12, 2014

We stayed at the Shangri-La for our anniversary. The room was magnificent, the staff courteous and attentive, without being intrusive. Tong bar has great views but its a shame, and no reflection on the hotel, that guests do not all make the effort to dress appropriately (there were plenty of jeans, t-shirts and trainers). Ting restaurant was excellent but there is lots of competition in the area so the menu could be broadened and the food experience improved. Breakfast was really good but at £36 per person it needs to be. All in all, a great experience.

Dear Leigh J,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your anniversary celebration with us and delighted that you found the staff to be ‘courteous and attentive’.
We hope to welcome you back to Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London in the future.
Best regards,