“Nice hotel, rude staff”

Ranked #511 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Ascot, Berkshire
“Nice hotel, rude staff”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We chose to stay at this property as we were in this part of London for a party. The hotel is easy to find and the car park was good value at just one pound for residents staying for 24 hours. The reception is on the first floor and we were checked in to our room on the top floor within a matter of minutes.

The hotel is your standard Holiday Inn Express type of room with a comfortable bed, nice bathroom with shower cubicle and free internet access. Our view was nice as it looked over London and towards Canary Wharf which was nice to see at night when it was lit up.

We skipped breakfast as we enjoyed a lie-in instead. However, no one told us that check-out was 11am and so our phone rang at 11am sharp with quite a discourteous member of staff telling us to get out or our credit card would be charged. When I explained we had only just woken up and thought check-out was 12 noon, he wasn’t interested in the slightest and said we had to leave. When we finally showered and packed and headed out at 11.30am or so he still continued to call our room and threaten us with credit card charges for late check-out, not even affording us the right to speak and just hanging up on us.

In all, the hotel is a nice one, it's just a shame about the over-zealous and rude staff member who needs to learn that customers have a choice when they stay at hotels and overstaying our welcome by a mere 30 minutes could have been handled with a little bit more diplomacy.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Ascottowers
Julio-Marques1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Newbury Park, responded to this review, October 29, 2013
Dear Ascottowers,

I would like to applogise on behalf of the Holiday Inn Express Newbury Park for the less charming events you have faced during your stay with us. As you probably noticed we praize ourselves for outstanding costumer service. I can assure you this is an isolated incident and not a normal pratice to such extend. We do have a strict policy on overstaying in your rooms purelly based in the fact that we have a busy hotel and loads of times guests like yourself requesting early check in, not easy to please all as you certainly will understand.
Thank you for your feedback.

Hope you visit us again in anear future.

General manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Durham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

By booking ahead, we got an excellent rate including parking. The area isn't anything to shout about but the tube station is very close and it's less than 15 mins to Stratford if you are looking for an evening meal nearby. The hotel has the usual Holiday Inn Express facilities including Wifi . The reception area is very roomy, but the breakfast isn't as good as other Express venues.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Les H
Exeter
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Quite a large hotel with an adjoining function suite. When we arrived the car park was full as there was a function going on however we were met by a member of the hotel staff and were allowed to park in the delivery bay. Parking at the hotel has a nominal fee and is good value at £1 per day. The checking in process was not without incident but the hotel staff appeared experienced and my particular problem was sorted out efficiently ( I must memorise my PIN number ) As we arrived quite late on our first night we had to dine in the hotel restaurant which as it turned out was very acceptable. The rooms are typical HIE right down to the size and fitments and were well maintained and clean.The hotel location is bang on Eastern Avenue and the sound of emergency vehicles is quite noticeable 24 hours a day. We were up on the 7th floor and the view was great out towards Central London. The immediate location is a bit run down suburban London. However some friends of ours ate in a nearby Turkish Restaurant and rated it very highly. The hotel was very clean and the public areas were well looked after all in all a nice hotel in an area that needs some tidying up a bit.

Room Tip: Upper floors appeared better but a room key was needed to make the lift work.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ExeterGemini
london
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I stayed here for one nigh to save a drive home and i think it was a good choice.Nice large,clean and well lit rooms,great shower and nice bathroom overall,free wifi and breakfast,great polite staff and car parking....all for £80,bargain and will certainly stay here again,well done to all staff

Room Tip: I had room 612 on the 6th floor and no disturbance from traffic
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank londonsteve2
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I've been trying to think how to "tag" this hotel...I think " hotel for man" is the right one.
The hotel itself is nice, clean. The rooms are big, cozy, comfy bed etc...
BUT I don't think I'll get back there.
First, there is as smell issue.
In the reception you can feel it, a disturbing smell , maybe coming from the kitchen.
Then in the corridors itself, there is a dusty smell.
In the room it's ok, but lack of "women touch " is felt.
For example: There is only a dispenser with soap not any other accessories in the bath. The bath and toilet was clean but a very basic feeling. The room was cleaned every day and the cleaning lady was very kind offering me help when I had a problem in the toilet , she came and clean it very seriously.

The breakfast is one of the weakest point- first again it is served at the lobby area, the smell issue and the food itself which is made for men, Poor coffee machine, ugly way of serving , poor plates, scrambled egg with lots of water ...all was for me pretty ugly so I didn't eat breakfast at all for 4 days I stayed there.
For me it's the first time it's happening because Im a breakfast fan, therefore, it's really effected the whole day " food planing " for me as a business traveller it is a default because I have no time to start and search for breakfasts!

I think it will not be very hard to make a nicer breakfast even taking in consideration keeping the same ingredients as is.
A little attention to the eggs, the way you serve yogurt and fruits... Just to make it a bit more appealing .
Odor issue can be solved quickly as well.

I got free wifi,was pretty slow for Skype in the room but ok for checking emails .
Location is ok , pretty close to the tube (5 minutes to walk) . A single woman morning walk (5:30 am) to the tube was for me a bit scary but maybe it's me and my feelings ...it is pretty close and in the same side of the road.
From tube newbury station to the city it is about 30 minutes.
From the hotel to heatrow airport by tube will take about 1.5 hours.
Reception guy try to scare me I will loose my flight and is shall not trust the tube system ( trying to offer a hotel shuttle in 60 pounds). The thing is that I'm coming every few weeks to London so I didn't listen to him but I guess others did...anyway tubes are great you just need to plan it correctly.

Under the hotel you can find McDonald's and a gas station with marks and Spenser good food, so from food aspects it is covered.
Another surprise was having ToysrUs store 2 minutes near the hotel , a perfect gateway for nice gifts for my kids.

So in general I'm mixed-
The room is ok, the price was great and the location is closed to the tube

The rest is good but only if you are a man!....

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Mentorit
Julio-Marques1, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express London-Newbury Park, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear SurasnyiS,
Thank you for your kind and detailed comments on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Newbury Park.
I am glad you have enjoy your stay, altough some negatives aspects will be attended to and subsequent actions taken.
Kind reminder of the standarised appearance and amenities in all our rooms and public areas.
Regarding your breakfast cooking process and presentation my sincere appologie with the reassurance this will be improved. Concerning the overall standard this is the Holiday Inn Express standard across all the "Express brand" UK hotels include:
-Sliced bread types (sliced white and sliced brown/whole-wheat) and rolls 'Bakery Quality'.
-2 pastry/morning goods – 1x Croissant/one pain au chocolate “Bakery Quality”
A minimum of 3x Jams/preserves
-Yoghurt - Minimum selection of 2x) yoghurt types offered - one plain natural (low fat) and one fruit (strawberry).
- Regular cornflakes, Coco Pops, sugar free muesli, Weetabix)
3 hot food items must be offered daily:
- Scrambled Eggs (fresh or pre-cooked, pasteurised
eggs), Sausages (fresh or pre-cooked), Baked beans
-Fruit grapefruit in juice or syrup.
-Cold Beverages; A minimum of 2x different fruit juices; Water must also be offered.
-A minimum of four coffee options including de-cafe
all self service:
- Regular coffee, Latte, Cappuccino; De-caffeinated (sachets or from machine)
Tea & other hot beverages, Hot chocolate
Milk, minimum of 2x types of milk must be offered.

Altough as you probably notice some people really love it..!!??

Thank you for leaving a review of your recent stay.

Please do come and stay us again soon.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Recently stayed at the hotel for a night. Room was very basic but clean and tidy. Nothing fancy. The package included breakfast which was the most disappointing part of the stay. Buffet breakfast where the 'hot' items were cold.

Asked for fried eggs but was told they didn't do this, it did take 4 attempts as the waitress didn't speak or understand English. The scrambled eggs were horrendous, was. Slab of plastic. The sausages were cold and the juice was so watered down it tasted like water.

By all means if you need a bed for the night, stay here. But head off in the morning and get breakfast elsewhere.

Room Tip: Level 5 to ask for.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank CondeTraveller
Dear SurasnyiS,
Thank you for your kind comments on your recent stay at Holiday Inn Express Newbury Park.
I am glad you have enjoy your stay, altough some negatives aspects will be attanded to and actions taken.
-2 pastry/morning goods – 1x Croissant/one pain au chocolate “Bakery Quality”
A minimum of 3x Jams/preserves
- Regular cornflakes, Coco Pops, sugar free muesli, Weetabix)
3 hot food items must be offered daily:
- Scrambled Eggs (fresh or pre-cooked, pasteurised
eggs), Sausages (fresh or pre-cooked), Baked beans
-Fruit grapefruit in juice or syrup.
-A minimum of four coffee options including de-cafe
all self service:
- Regular coffee, Latte, Cappuccino; De-caffeinated (sachets or from machine)
Tea & other hot beverages, Hot chocolate
Milk, minimum of 2x types of milk must be offered.

Altough as you probably notice some people really love it..!!??

Thank you for leaving a review of your recent stay.

Please do come and stay us again soon.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights to do some london sight seeing, the holiday inn is clean modern n everything you need for a few nights away, the location I would say is ok for central london the under ground is a 5 minute walk away, we paid 8 pound for a all day ticket which we could use on under ground buses and trains well worth the money if you ask me,

• Stayed September 2013