“I expected better of Best Western”

Best Western London Highbury
Ranked #532 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Woodbridge, United Kingdom
“I expected better of Best Western”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

For a recently refurbished hotel from a major chain, I was disappointed.

The room seemed grubby; it may not actualyl have been dirty but the bedside chair was a bit tattered and torn, the curtain was hanging down a one end and, what may have been an indicator of much worse things, the electrical certificate on the towel rail had expired three months previously.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank B1iggles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
  • Polish first
Tamworth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Lovely hotel, very reasonably priced for London, and spotlessly clean, lovely staff, a great base for seeing the sites of London. Transport directly outside the Hotel, with bus route running to many major attractions. Tube about 10 minutes walk. Finsbury park opposite, which would be great in the summer. I would recommend this hotel to anyone, I dare say there are better hotels with more facilities but for the money this is a bargain, and we will definitely be going back again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

We loved this hotel, except it was after away from the underground than we expected (10-15 min walk). Rooms were great, we got a family room for four adults and it was huge for English standards. Fantastic breakfast in the morning and great service at the front desk. They helped us get taxis, information, and even find a lost iPhone. Couldn't be more impressed with the service and the beds were very comfortable. Make sure you ask for ground or lift floor if you have trouble with stairs. Would certainly stay here again, but the walk to the subway was long in the cold, especially because we had a cancer patient with us who was worn out by the end of the day. For prices of hotels in London, this is a great value for a 4 adult room. Also included free wifi, tea and coffee, tv, hair dryer. In section 2 of subway nearest Finsbury Park.

• Stayed November 2012
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Staff were very helpful and pleasant.

Room was very clean, nicely furnished. A bit small, but thats to be expected in London.

Breakfast was ok, just basic continental. But for extra £2 it wasnt too bad.

Surrounding area isnt very nice, so i wouldnt recommend walking anywhere at night - get a taxi.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I stayed overnight in October because we wanted a place to sleep after attending a dinner dance nearby.
I was torn between giving three or four stars and would have given three and a half if I could have.
First the positives: a clean, refurbished room with all basic amenities; a decent if rather unexciting breakfast; the offer of complimentary basic toiletries if you dont have them (toothbrush, shaver etc);good value for money
Now the negatives: the welcome was a little lukewarm and rather stiff (the staff need training in how to be warmer and more welcoming and engage in just a little more polite conversation); the £10 charge for parking, which we were not informed of before we arrived; room very small, but I guess it was London; breakfast and checkout too early after a late night; we had a front room so the "Best Western" light above the building was a bit bright while we were trying to sleep (blackout curtains would have been welcomed)
All in all, I am being generous in giving 4 stars, but on balance, we had a reasonably comfortable if rather uninspiring stay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
wirral uk
Reviewed November 14, 2012

My daughter & I were at our second visit to the hotel in May 2012.
We were staying there for two nights midweek while she yet again saw an eye consultant at MOorfields. We were welcomed back with such smiles and an upgrade to an "apartment". Not only was this a two roomed /hall/bathroom suite last last time we were put into an apartment with our own entrance. There was a large kitchen diner/tv/leather sofas / beautiful laminate. Two bedrooms one with balcony ( i had this!) and my daughters had a french window opening. As usual the staff wer on hand to answer any queries we had instantly.Nothing could be too much trouble for them, they actually said they were there to ensure we had the most comfort and best experience available. There were full of advice for transport, restaurants, safetly for two young ladies travelling in london too. We had wanted to visit again soon but unfornately my father died 7 days after returning to wirral & my mother had breast cancer. So travel is posponed for now! I would not hesitate to return to this hotel, clean, efficient, reliable, safe, welcoming. I recommend for business travellers, families with children, couples.
It is a gentle 10 mins walk to finsbury park tube. If it is raining you can get a number of buses from outside the hotel. there is a massive park directly over t he hotel road if you want to "chill" or have a picnic. Far enough to have lots of greenery but close enough to get into centre of london quickly. I will return.

Room Tip: My rooms wer at back and side - pretty quiet in comparison to the main road i would assume
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank chrissysarah
North Yorkshire
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Used as a base to be near to Tubes & Family follwing a trip to the football this weekend...it worked perfectly for us. Only blot being one of the "clean towels", left for use by my son or I, wasn't ! Breakfast was missed as 9.30am deadline on a Sunday morning far too early for us after an evening celebrating a good away victory !!!
Genuine friendly welcome, and a welcome cup of tea for us all after our evening meal in town.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thimmaiah G, General Manager at Best Western London Highbury, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

Please know that your feedback is extremely valuable to us. Feedback such as yours assists us in improving our service and property on a daily basis.

Regards