“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #491 of 1,071 Hotels in London
travelinmom64
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2011

This hotel is nearly renovated so it is pretty nice! It is on a busy street, but inside the hotel the traffic noise was not heard. The neighborhood is certainly not the most charming, but it seemed safe enough during the day. Across the street is a large park and playground that is popular with runners and walkers. There is no restaurant and nearby there a only a few choices--all seemed fast food or very casual. The morning breakfast buffet was a wide variety of cold items; meats, cheeses, chocolate &regular croissants, toast, cereals, hard boiled eggs,etc...
We were upgraded to an apartment which was very spacious and great for the kids. They were also able to store our luggage for us for the day since we had a late flight.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank travelinmom64
Thimmaiah G, General Manager at BEST WESTERN London Highbury, responded to this review, January 26, 2012

Thank you for the review regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at 02088026551.

Thank you again for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate your loyalty to our brand.

Cluster General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Hereford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2011

Very comfortable excellent staff just a few minutes walk from two tube stations and a bus stop right outside.
Excellent variety of continental breakfast. Only let down was just one chair in the bedroom. Would definatley use again if in the area.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

First of all let me say that the staff are fantastic. Helpful, friendly and professional.

However, you should know a few things before you book here.

There is no restaurant in this hotel and I would suggest that this is not an area of London (Finsbury Park) where you want to be searching for something to eat after dark. The bar is part of the rather small reception area and hardly ideal. You should also be aware that there is no cooked breakfast, only continental style - though it was enjoyabe if this is your preference.

Room was clean and functional, but bathroom was amongst the smallest I have ever seen.

Ask for room at back of hotel, because the traffic on Seven Sisters Road in constant - even in the middle of the night.

At £125 for one night, it is over priced. Have stayed with Best Western many times, but this was a dissapointment. I suppose the answer will be, 'that this is London', but to me it is a case of provide as little as possible for the most amount of money.

Room Tip: Ask for the back of the hotel. Constant traffic noise at front.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank pentlandfield
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the review regarding your recent stay at our property. We are looking at options to open a restuarant onsite soon based on a feasibility study. we also serve snacks and sandwiches at the bar.

Thatcham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Stayed here for a concert at Alexandra Palace. The location was excellent, 5 minute walk to Manor House tube (Piccadilly Line), 2 stops from the venue. We had a day out in the city the following day and decided to have an extra night in the hotel as it had been comfortable and good value, we paid £100 per night B&B, which is great by London standards. Parking costs an extra £10. The road is noisey but we are sound sleepers so didn't bother us; I guess you could ask for a room at the back if you need quiet but we wanted the veiw of the park. Breakfast is cold buffet only, but plenty to choose from. The entire hotel was spotlessly clean. Staff were very efficient and happy to help. We'd definitely stay again.

Room Tip: If you can't cope with road noise ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Just came back from London, where we stayed at the Best Western London Highbury last night. We unexpectedly decided to stay overnight after visiting relatives who were staying at this hotel. Best Western gave us a room at very short notice, and on booking our room, they upgraded our relatives rooms to two flats (as my cousin booked for us). The receptionist (who's name began with an A, pardon my forgetfulness),was extremely friendly and accommodating, he took us up to the two flats upon our arrival. The flats were like a home away from home! Each had two double bedrooms, all with plasma tvs in them, and the bathroom was a good decent size. Having lived in London previously in several locations, I can honestly say the rooms in the flats offered by Best Western Highbury are much bigger than the ones I lived in. In terms cleanliness, which is probably the most important factor, I thought it was to a good standard. But I would advise to bring slippers; my aunty commented on how the floor felt slightly sticky (but I believe this was due to the unclean mop water they might have used as I could see the residue on the hardwood floor). We had more beds than people in the two flats, therefore we didn't need the additional room that we had booked at short notice. When asked if we could cancel this room, we were told we couldn't. However the receptionist was very empathetic explaining that without the booking of the additional room, we would never had got the upgrade to the two flats, which was fair enough.

We did have a look at the additional room in the hotel (the flats are in the building to the back of the hotel). The room looked small but not too bad. It would be okay if you were just looking for a place to sleep after a long day. The ensuite bathroom did look tiny though.Hence why I have only given the rooms a 3* star rating.

To be honest, I have never really thought much of Best Western, but after staying in their flats I was pleasantly surprised it was a 3* hotel (having only ever stayed in 4* hotels on holidays), and would definitely stay again. I would also definitely recommend the flats for large families or groups of friends, who are planning a long trip or a cheeky get away. The flats have cookers, fridges and freezers; so you could have meals in rather than go out. I have just checked the website and it doesn't seem to state the flats availabilities online, so it's probably best to ring up and request one! They are a hidden gem, and I will definitely be back if I ever come on a with the family or on a girls get away. Oh and it is also convenient to get into central London, with Manor House station being 5-10 mins walk away. It only took us 20 mins to get to Euston, which was an added bonus!

1 Thank Jenni Q
SWales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

I was a little apprehensive booking this hotel as I had read the reviews, but the location and parking facilities were perfect for us so we went ahead. We had a very comfortable stay indeed.The hotel has been recently refurbished to a high standard and the room was clean and very comfortable. I had an excellent nights sleep even though we were at the front of the building. The continental breakfast cannot be faulted. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the service was very good.There is a 5 minute walk to the Tube station and bus stops nearby . We have family nearby and will certainly stay here again.

2 Thank JudyWSWales
West Yorkshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Very recently refurbished. Bedrooms are on the small side, but functional. Continental breakfast could not be faulted. Good thing is that you have 2 tube stations both no more than a 10 minute walk. From the hotel you can be in central London 20 minutes later, so do not pay the crazy central London prices, stay a little further out and tube in