“Authentic Greek Food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of 21 Bateman Street - CLOSED

21 Bateman Street
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol
Neighborhood: Soho
Coleorton
“Authentic Greek Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2014

My wife and I had an early dinner here before going to the theater, we hadn't booked but they managed to seat us, which I think was quite lucky since this is a small restaurant around 14 covers I think. The service was very friendly and efficient and we were given a complimentary starter and then opted for chicken and pork skewers and a mixed grill of the day; both were very good and the typical fair you would expect in a Greek holiday resort. We shared a yogurt and honey pudding which was a really nice way to finish the meal. If you are looking for some good Greek food before a visit to the theater I would have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant.

1 Thank Graham B

northern england
“Huge portions”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2014

Ate here with my husband after reading reviews on trip advisor. This is no fancy establishment, a small cafe off soho. We had the baked feta to share which was lovely, then the mixed grill, this consisted of a pork skewer, a lamb kebab and a wild boar sausage, chips, pitta bread and salad. The meat was beautifully cooked, soft and tender, the salad was fresh and tasty, the chips and pitta were good. If I could complain about anything it would be the portion sizes, for me and my husband it was too big, but I suppose if you have a really big appetite you would welcome this. Would I visit this place again? Definitely.

Visited August 2014
Thessaloniki, Greece
“best souvlaki house ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2014

Found out about this place from tripadvisor. Being a Greek I was really curious to try it and I must admit I was very very impressed. I haven't seen nice, sweet cherry tomatoes in a greek salad for a long long time, perhaps with the exception of a handful of restaurants in Santorini! The meat was just perfect, especially the pork had just the right amount of fat to make it tasty and juicy. And, wow, they use a charcoal grill which is almost extinct in Greece these days as everyone uses gas which is cheaper and easier! However, the charcoal makes all the difference as it gives the meat this distinctive, smoky flavour. I am very surprised that some greek reviewers seem to have commented on the price being high / portions small. Given this is London, the wrap is cheaper than a metro ticket! And you can not help but see that the the ingredients are top, the skewers prepared in-house and made to order. Hands down much better quality than your average souvlaki place in Greece!

3 Thank G5338GKannak
lancashire
“hidden gem”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

I was unaware of this restaurant until I got a email from time out magazine so decided to try it out on a trip to London
this place is only small on a back street in soho so it would be easy to pass by
the staff were extremely friendly explaining what was on the menu we did have vouchers but she let us have one of the specials as part of the deal
the meals were freshly prepared in an open kitchen and plentiful (too much in fact)
the menu was limited but very tasty
the greek yougurt was beautiful to finish off the meal and the wine was more than adequate
would recommend

1 Thank northernlass2809
New Jersey
“Fantastic Greek Food - Great Price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

I am of Greek heritage and have had plenty of good food in my day, but 21 Bateman was superb. I had Baked Feta for the fist time ever here. I will try to replicate it at home, but doubt if I can make it that good.For a main dish I had lamb. Also, really nice. My wife had a lamb wrap and really enjoyed it. Dessert very good also. Prices excellent for London. We met the owners and really enjoyed chatting with them. They were quite friendly. I recommend this restaurant without hesitation. You'll love it.

1 Thank nick a