“conveniently located but room was tiny”
Review of Wardonia Hotel

Wardonia Hotel
Ranked #575 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed April 15, 2013

This hotel is located really close to King's Cross tube station (and St Pancras). If you exit by the correct exit, it's just down the street.
We received a room on the highest level (4th floor) and we had to lug our suitcases up the stairs which were super narrow, thus dangerous. The room was TINY - just 2 single beds with a tiny space in between. The bathroom was also tiny with no windows and had a weird smell that never went away; and the sink was the tiniest i've seen in my life. But that being said, I've been to London quite a few times and I guess this is the case in most budget hotels/hostels.
The people at reception are nice enough, but insist that you leave your keys with them before you go out for the day, and when you get back, you tell them your room number and they hand you your key (they do NOT even ask you for your name or ID - what sort of security is that?)
On the whole, the prices are not low, but compared to other hotels it is on the more affordable side, so you get what you pay for.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 1, 2013

I stayed on two occasions recently in a single room and in a twin room. The rooms are small but functional. On both visits I found the rooms to be spotlessly clean. Small bathrooms with excellent showers. Tea/coffee, TV and wifi. It was cold weather during my visits but the heating was great. 24 hr reception. The walls are thin and the room off the main corridor had more background noise. None of my rooms had a view but my main concern was cleanliness and it passed on that score. Bed was also very comfortable. Overall, for a cheap stay in central London and close to transport links you can't beat these prices. There is a pub next door where you can purchase breakfast, although I didn't try it. Ideal for short stay or business trip.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 24, 2013

Perfect location for boarding eurostar...5 min walk. Room very small but spotless! No complaints as was aware of size. Tv and kettle/tea/coffee. Decor slighly outdated but was made up for by shiny white shower room! Staff at reception were very helpful although had to leave key when went out for tea. Desk manned 24 hours so was ok.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is a nice little compact hotel (hallways and doors and stairways would not pass code in america. It is close to the king cross tube and st pancras station. Service at the hotel was pleasant and efficient. My room which was suppose to be a double was small. Had my wife been with me, she would not have been pleased. It would not work for 2 people. I only paid 70lb for me with such a great location it is a great value. I will say my bathroom was recently update and looked sparking white, but it is good I'm relatively thin. The bed as a little hard and the pillows were like pancakes, but hey the price was fair.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I wanted a hotel neat the Piccadily line and this seemed to fit the bill. I knew the room would be small and was not concerned that the only place to put my suitcase was under the bed; they have obviously designed the beds to allow this. The bed was comfortable and the room (at the back) was quiet, even with the window open. The bathroom was surprisingly modern with great shower but very small. Narrow corridors and very narrow stairs, pokey landings. I did notice there were other larger rooms but did not bother asking for one of these.

I guess overall, the room was good value but my major disppointment was the WiFi which the hotel's website claimed was super-fast. I booked this hotel on the basis of good wifi but this is a joke. I had just returned from West Africa where the wifi was much faster. The WiFi here was the SLOWEST I have experienced, I could not get a connection on SKYPE, let alone make calls and dont even dream about video calls. Connecting to Hotmail was a 5 minute exercise.

Room Tip: Ask for a larger room, they are available.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Yes it's small, but really what more could you expect for a hotel of this cost?

I found my stay to be very comfortable. The important things: large clean towels, modern bathroom with power shower and decent toiletries. Hairdryer, Good modern TV, clean and comfy bed, friendly welcome and excellent location. Oh and FREE wifi!

Sure it's no 5 star, but if you want that you'll need to pay a hell of a lot more than this!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank real_reviewer85
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Ok, I learnt that it was going to be a small room judging from the previous reviews I'd read, but I didn't expect the room to be -this- tiny, reminiscent of a prison cell! My room was 7 square metres in total. The size of the room is equivalent to the size of a 4/5-star hotel BATHROOM!

The "table" at the foot of my bed was more like a slab of wood measuring 35 cm x 20 cm across. I was so glad I brought my bedroom slippers because the carpeted floor + bathroom tiles just didn't feel clean enough to be walking around barefooted. Also, the heating didn't seem to work and often times I was left shivering in the December winter weather.

Also being on the first floor, I could always hear the sound of footsteps, people chattering and luggages rolling past as the walls of the room are really thin.

I wouldn't stay here again though. But of course it boils down to your expectations ultimately: If you need a place to put up for the night before your early-morning Eurostar train the next day, this would be ideal. But I wouldn't stay for more than one night, if I had a choice.
The pros, though:
- Free WiFi, didn't lag at all
- Location to St Pancras / King's Cross: It's just a 200m walk away, located at the end of the main road which meant that I didn't hear any noise from traffic at night
- Bed was comfy enough ie I slept pretty decently. Then again maybe I was really knackered from sightseeing activities earlier during the day.

Room Tip: If carrying heavy luggages, request for a room on the first floor (because there are no lifts in thi...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo